Trying so hard and getting nowhere (plateau)

Options
I think with the amount of excersice I do alone should of helped me burn weight. I have been stuck around the same number now for about 2 months.

I even didn't eat for 5 days and lost 4 lbs. But then when I ate regularly it is back to old number. Plus I hit the gym at least an hour a day, certain days 3 hours. Starting to feel like my body is really working against me, had thyroid checked before an it is slow but not slow enough for them to give me medication. Any suggestions?

Replies

• BlackBarbieBABY
    Options
    Anyone?
  • jsdholland
    jsdholland Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Don't give p...I gained and lost the same 3 pounds over and over in November....right around the same loss you are at now. Maybe change up your food a bit, and are you strenghth training? I am really trying to focus on that as I see so many weight lifting success stories. I want to get to an 90-100 pound loss too, please feel free to add me. Don't give up....you will break thru soon!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I can't guess unless you share some info - age, height, weight, activity level, and daily calories would be helpful.
  • JenniferSpindel
    JenniferSpindel Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Maybe change your diet up? Body could just be tired of the same old things.... Change up your diet and your routine while still staying at a calorie deficit and see if that helps :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    As many have noted, exercise has very little to do with losing weight. It's mainly about food. If you want useful advice, let some of the experienced folks here look at your food diary and give you some tips.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Would help if we had more info and if we could look at your diary. Quite possibly you aren't eating enough.

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    maybe eat properly/regularly and exercise moderately, the eating nothing for 4 days and then exercising 3hrs at a time... sounds crazy.
    Give your body a break and time to catch up"
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    You are walking in my shoes..I have tried and tried over the last 11 yrs and 4 pregnancies to lose weight and keep it off and the only thing that I am finding that is working is lemon balm tea for the underactive thyroid and 1 tablespoon of lemon added to the tea for the filtering of the system. I have had a problem with my thyroid and one other gland that bloats me up over 100 pounds every pregnancy and then it is the battle of the bulge to lose every inch and every pound. I started off using Weight Watchers with the first 3 pregnancies and now again with my last baby. The difference is that I do the old system and move more..now an active adult your age with an under active thyroid should be eating around 1600 to 1800 calories if you are working out that much..if you are working out 30 minutes to 60 minutes a day stick around closer to 1600 a day and you are going to start seeing movement again..don't over do it and make sure you are drinking lots and lots of water. Good luck and big hug from a Momma who is 30 and has five kids and is traveling this road for the 5th time.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Eating the right foods counts for a lot more than exercise. It's not just the quantity of food but the quality. Try eating more fruit and vegetables.