Cheaper Alternative to Meal Replacement Shakes?

Options
A few months ago my mom gave me a box of Advocare meal replacement shakes, vanilla flavor, that I recently just finished. I went to reorder and was stunned that a 14 day supply is $44.95! So I read about Shakeology and went to order some of that to find a 30 day supply of that is $142 (on Amazon.com)! I am in shock at these prices and I can't afford that!

Is there another, cheaper, alternative to these pricey shakes? I love how thick the Advocare shakes get when blended with frozen fruit and it always made me feel full until lunch time. Special K Shakes or Slim Fast are cheaper but I feel hungry within hours of drinking one. Anyone have any ideas for a cheaper solutions?

I also just read on pinterest.com about something called a green monster smoothie....any thoughts on that drink?

Replies

• quishajuice
    quishajuice Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Make your own! I promise it's actually very easy I make one almost every morning.. I use Vanilla whey protein and chia seeds in mine to help keep me full until my next meal, but if you are not comfortable with protein powder liquid egg whites are also a good protein source. If you google green smoothies you will get TONS of awesome recipes. For a few starter ideas you can check out www.simplegreensmoothies.com
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    they just came out with a higher protein Slim Fast, that might be worth looking at again.
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I agree, make your own! I go to GNC or Vitamin Shoppe and get a good low calorie, high protein vanilla powder (currently using Syntrax Necter Vanilla Bean Torte) and then add to it. I use a protein fortified milk add 1/2 a banana and usually some nut butter to mine. I also love it with frozen fruit. Just toss in a blender and go! Green smoothies are also wonderful so you should look them up. I just tend to use the same few formulas since I want quick and easy in the morning. The protein really helps keep me full all day.
  • paperhawk
    paperhawk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Might try Sam's Club, they have 5 pounds for $34 and a 3 pound Muscle Milk for $24 (in bags). If you check out my diary for the past few days you'll see I use it with Coconut milk (or leftover coffee) and fruit, strawberries, mixed fruit, frozen and today with fresh Kiwi. I am a little new at the shakes, but my son is a gym rat now in the Army and got me on to them, it's quick and easy and filling.

3 ibs of Muscle Milk is 40 servings. cytosport.com Amazon is not the place to buy somethings, we get more than 40 deliveries a year from Amazon, but they are not competitive on vitamins and supplements. Costco is good too

Good luck.

Jon Hanson
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Food
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Food
    This.
  • Aradia_Silvermoon
    Aradia_Silvermoon Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Food
    This.

The mornings my stomach is all queasy and upset from my IBS that drinking seems to give me less problems. I also have so little time in the morning so usually throwing good stuff in a blender is quick and easy.

so all I need to find is a low calorie, high protein powder and mix wiht milk and fruit....sounds easy enough! The recipie I found for the green monster smoothies sounded good (but it was 350 cal) so I may get some stuff tonight and make one tomorrow!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    shakeology
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    #1 real food
    #2 real food
    #3 wholesale club whey protein - add whatever to it to achieve desired profile(flax meal, pb, berries etc)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For a month's supply (since that's what was talked about in the OP):
    2 gallons milk - $5
    1 tub Optimum Nutrition powder - $50
    1 shaker cup - $7
    1 bottle of multivitamins - $15

~ 32 servings

$5 + $50 + $7 + $15 = $77

$77 / 32 servings = $2.41 per serving.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Spirutien, it has spirulina and is very thick and delicious when made with almond milk.