Running Training Question

Options
Hello Everyone!

I am currently training for a half-marathon in May. I am following a guide provided by the race directors -- which has how many miles to run each day, when to rest, what day to X-train. I know I do not have to follow it exactly, but I have been just to stay on pace without falling behind or doing too much and injurying myself. Last week I ran:

Sun - rest; Mon - 3; Tue - Rest; Wed - x-training(swam); Thur - 3; Fri - Rest; Saturday - 6

This week is scheduled (and I have done so far):

Sun - rest; Mon - 3; Tue - Rest; Wed - xt; Thur - 3; Fri - Rest; Sat - 4

Now, my question is...I just found a race in my town on Saturday. Should I do the 5K or 10K? I don't want to overdue it. The longest race I have done has been 5miles.

Thanks in advance for your input!:)

Replies

• FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Trust the process, just do the 5k. With the excitement & adrenaline of a race, you're sure to push yourself harder (pace wise) than you would a regular run. Why risk an injury for a "C race"? Keep focused on your half marry, and just use this 5k as a test run, and get experience in a race environment.:smile:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Trust the process, just do the 5k. With the excitement & adrenaline of a race, you're sure to push yourself harder (pace wise) than you would a regular run. Why risk an injury for a "C race"? Keep focused on your half marry, and just use this 5k as a test run, and get experience in a race environment.:smile:

I agree totally with this. No reason to risk injury in the beginning of your training.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Personally, i'd do it. I'm training for a 1/2 marathon in October and my guide says running a few 10K's before then helps keep up your motivation.

I ran my first one a few weeks ago, and since you're already running 6 miles on the weekends, you'd probably enjoy it.
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Try the 10...U can do it!!!:wink:
  • princesspurple
    Options
    If you have never run a race-go for the 5k....but if you think you can do the 10...DO IT! My first and only race so far was last June, it was a 5.4 mile race, and I learned one thing......don't start out too fast! I started w/ a large group in the front and thought I could run fast and keep up, I got to the 1 mile marker and heard the girl say '8 minutes'.....that was not smart, I ended up walking a little bit of it, I had only run for 4 weeks prior to that race! I now know when I do my half in April, start off slowly:huh:
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Hey Sweetie! Do you feel up for the 10K? If you do I don't think it would hurt you but if you don't then the 5K would be a great race for you as well!