Runny Nose and Sneezing After Intense Cardio

Options
Just wondering does anyone else have chronic sneezing and a runny nose after an intense workout? It doesn't matter if it's a perfect sunny day or I'm in a gym. Whenever I workout and push hard I have this issue. It's not unbearable but it is a bit irritating. Also, I have no allergy issues or asthma.

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Not the sneezing but yes, cardio does wonders for clearing my sinuses. It's probably common as there are kleenex stations all over my gym :smile:
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    could be exercise induced asthma...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise-induced-asthma/DS01040

...wait sorry, you have different symptoms, but could be related to just how your body responds to exercise-stress
  • ebonyrose316266
    ebonyrose316266 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I get the runny nose but I have sinus issues so....
  • lifelover12
    lifelover12 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback!
  • lifelover12
    lifelover12 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Really appreciate the link:-) Going to check it out tonight. Thanks!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I did and asked my doc about it. He said it was something with histamines or something and to take a zyrtek an hour before a run. I did-problem solved.
  • bigjretrac
    bigjretrac Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This explains SO MUCH. I thought I was the only one sneezing up a storm every time I did cardio! For me, most of the sneezing was after I went to the gym.
  • Sharkington
    Options
    I don't typically sneeze or get a runny nose after an intense workout, but when I am getting over a cold, working out definitely clears out my sinuses and it runs then!
  • Angylgrrl
    Angylgrrl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this again today! Whenever I run, I get a runny nose. Doesn't matter if I started out with anythng in there, because it is bound to be running about 10 minutes in. I have to take a bunch of tissues with me whenever I run. Glad it's not just me.
  • pbxr
    pbxr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I was told that exercise is like a natural decongestant & to expect a runny nose sometimes. It actually motivates me to go on to the gym even when I feel stuffy, that way I can take less medicine. :wink:
  • MissDarlaDoll12
    MissDarlaDoll12 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    omg yes. Not at all after any cardio. Its the running. If I run for more than 3-4 minutes, my sinuses feel raw and I will have a sneeze attack for the next 4-5 hours. I like running, I just hate how I feel if I push myself. I thought maybe I was breathing wrong or had defective sinuses or septum-just seems unusual.

Its comforting to know Im not the only one this happens to. The first time it happened was in high school, and my classmates were concerned because I just could not stop sneezing. I was sneezing like every 2 minutes or so and several sneezes in a row. Im still not convinced that its normal in any way. So now I just walk, run for a minute or two, walk etc. and that seems to keep it under control.
  • Bunnycub
    Options
    I thought it was just me!...I definitely get a runny nose EVERY time I do cardio. Going to try taking an antihistamine before I do cardio like someone suggested!
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    During a 2 mile run I hock up about a pound of loogies, run snot everwhere, and fart at least 20 times...
  • azrrt76
    azrrt76 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have to work out with a box of kleenex...I never sneeze, but my nose runs constantly!
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I was told that exercise is like a natural decongestant & to expect a runny nose sometimes. It actually motivates me to go on to the gym even when I feel stuffy, that way I can take less medicine. :wink:

Awesome!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's just the fat trying to get out of your body....

JK...yeah, I get a runny nose...no sneezing, but a good round of cardio definitely drains the sinuses.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    Theories from internets

Dehydration, when becoming dehydrated the systems in the body produce more snot to protect itself, cure more water
    Exercise is stress, the body shows stress in many ways, I cough a lot at certain heart ranges but not MHR
    Air conditioning, dry air - see dehydration
    Dusty atmosphere, or taking more dust in because you are breathing harder.
    Unknown smells - see farting and exercise also stale sweat
    You are usually a mouth breather but during exercise you start to breathe properly and therefore your nose cannot handle it. (This I made up)

Dehydration seems counter-intuitive but as a protection system for the airways I suppose it makes sense.
  • brandonjeralds
    Options
    Yes yes, it's not just a simple "runny nose clearing your sinuses." This is like super itchy usually one nostril sneezing attacks after intense cardio. It's not common amongst the masses, but I get it bad sometimes. It will sometimes last a couple days. Reading into it, it seems like it is an allergic reaction. It's definitely a huge pain. I'll try the histamine blocker next time.
  • TheVevina
    TheVevina Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I get runny noses... and chains of farts...