maximum heart rate

Options
Just wondering if this happens to anyone else. My maximum heart rate is 192. While doing Plyometrics today, my heart rate jumped from 157 to 223. I felt like my heart was pounding out of my chest. I stopped immediately and tried to walk it down. After 5 minutes its down to 152( sitting here) and I'm light headed. Any idea why this happened? And has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I doubt your heart rate was at 223 otherwise you'd probably would have been hauled away on a stretcher. Your chess strap might have "lost connection" temporarily to cause a glitch. It happens to me sometimes also.

BTW, if you assume you MaxHR is 192 by the usual "220-age" formula, that's a VERY vague formula. To find your true MaxHR requires a brutal test, and mostly decided via genetics rather than age.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    Di

Yes your heart could have done that...I take Flecanide right now because of the same thing...the doc says I have heart arythmia ( I know thats not how to spell that)

My heart has done that 2 or 3 times since I got out of the hospital about a year and a half ago...I got pneumonia and was in the hosp and my heart went up over 220 beats a min several times then...they put me on that med and said i needed to have some tests on my heart and i did....I still am on that medicine to regulate my heart rate...

If you have a strong heart, your body can take it but I would certainally call my doc and just tell him what happened and tell him it surely could have been a glitch in the monitor but if it was your heart and believe me it can do it..mine has at least 3 times or more, you need to be checked..they can prob do something as simple as an EKG....im not a doctor..

did you get a feeling in the bottom of your throat like a drum was beating real fast.....its the old "my heart felt like it was coming out of my chest"

mine felt like a drum beating fast in my throat and it takes just a few mins to sit down and let it calm back down....let me know Im curious..

hope this helps a little
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    BTW, if you assume you MaxHR is 192 by the usual "220-age" formula, that's a VERY vague formula. To find your true MaxHR requires a brutal test, and mostly decided via genetics rather than age.

For women I have read it should be 226-age for the formula. It is not usually suggested to workout at that level though. Usually it is recommended to not go beyond 80% of your maximum heart rate.

I hope you feel better. My husband has an arithmyia and has been off and on medicine. His is usually random occurances and not while working out.
  • beachcrazy
    Options
    I have the same problem. My heart rate jumps up very fast when I exercise. My doc says I have a strong heart, but he still put me on some pills to slow my HR down so it's not racing at exercisel so far it works good. like the previous blogger said, if you have a strong heart it can take it. but I'd check with a doctor just to make sure. long story short: your not the only one that this happend too!!!!
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may have had an episode of SVT (supraventricular tachycardia). I advise you to report this to your physician.
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Definately sounds like SVTs. Could be a problem, but might not be. I've had SVTs for as long as I can remember having a heart rate upwards of 200 for over 4 hour periods. I've have 2 cath ablations to correct the problem, both went smoothly and now I only have a little arrhythmia every now and then for a couple seconds to a couple of minutes at a time - totally manageable without drugs. It never stopped me from being very active, run a lot, served overseas (had to have my heart chemically reset overseas with Adenosine).

Definately see your doctor, get a referral to a cardiologist and see what's up. Odds are it's not the end of the world, though.
  • diannastadnyk
    diannastadnyk Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes, it did feel like my heart was "pounding ot of my chest" I'm not saying that my heart rate monitor couldn't "lose the connection" but I do know my body and how my heart feels when I push hard, but this was different, actually kinda freaked me out.