M yweight - Daily up and down

Options
Hello Weight Loss Masters !

Well, I am going through a tough time of my life. I was about 128.2 kgs a month ago (I am diabetic too). After loweing my daily carbs count, and doing some recumbent bike / walking, I managed to make it 123.5 so far But !!! 123.5 was my weight on 17th December, 2012. On 18th, I took a day off from exercise (most people suggest 5 days a week workout).

Today, after burning 510 calories and 37 minutes of cardio, when I calm down, I checked my weight, and it was unfortunately 124.6.

I want to know why this happens ? Is this normal and happen with other people too ?

How do you I can minimize the weight gain when I take a day off ?

Replies

• katiedidit1
    katiedidit1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means a master:wink: But I do know that your weight can go up and down by more than 5 pounds a in a day. Water retention and such. That is why so many say to weigh yourself once a week at the same time of day. As long as your eating well and moving more you will lose weight. Be nice to yourself and just keep at it!

Blessings!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hello Weight Loss Masters !

Well, I am going through a tough time of my life. I was about 128.2 kgs a month ago (I am diabetic too). After loweing my daily carbs count, and doing some recumbent bike / walking, I managed to make it 123.5 so far But !!! 123.5 was my weight on 17th December, 2012. On 18th, I took a day off from exercise (most people suggest 5 days a week workout).

Today, after burning 510 calories and 37 minutes of cardio, when I calm down, I checked my weight, and it was unfortunately 124.6.

I want to know why this happens ? Is this normal and happen with other people too ?

How do you I can minimize the weight gain when I take a day off ?

Actually, after looking at your diary, I have to say that averagely - you are not eating enough. Maybe that's what is causing your fluctuations.

Also, the scale can fluctuate with water retention and muscle gain, so do measurements.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Your weight fluctuates frequently. Don't weigh yourself so often.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Your weight fluctuates frequently. Don't weigh yourself so often.

This. I weigh myself maybe twice a week, and it fluctuates by 1-5 pounds. As long as the monthly trend is downward, you're fine.
  • zeeshanhashmi
    zeeshanhashmi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    All right, great tips. So from now, I will weigh my self once a week.

@Joylia - Thanks for looking at my dairy, well, yes I am taking less calories, but you know whatever i am eating - i do not feel hunger. If I feel hunger I eat what I can (I am diabetic). What shall I do ?
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    .. why are you weighing yourself every day?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    All right, great tips. So from now, I will weigh my self once a week.

@Joylia - Thanks for looking at my dairy, well, yes I am taking less calories, but you know whatever i am eating - i do not feel hunger. If I feel hunger I eat what I can (I am diabetic). What shall I do ?

It's been said many times - peanut butter + spoon. There are lots of protein options that you can add to you diet that won't cause sugar spikes. You are only eating about half the calories you are supposed to on a given day. That is not sustainable. You may experience plateaus in the future, or you may be more likely to gain back all of your weight when you stop "dieting". I would suggest upping your calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't feel hungry and that is common, believe it or not. Your body gets "used" to being deprived. I really suggest upping your calories.

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

And to go back to the whole eating under a 1000 calories, look...you are going to do what you want but check out the link below at some of the stories of people who thought it was okay (especially because they weren't "feeling" hungry a lot of times) but ended up regretting it. These links are just information to give you options. I'm not preaching or trying to tell you or anyone what is the "right way"...just throwing my opinion out there is all.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521480-1000-calories-or-less-a-day
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You need to eat more. Men need no less than 1500 calories if they are sedentary, so if you are active you will probably do much better at 2200+. I am 194 lbs, workout 6 days a week for an hour and I cut at 2500-2800 calories. And since you are heavier than me you will need more calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Don't weight yourself so often...weight loss isn't linear, it's a general trend.