Healthy foods ARE more expensive.

Options

Replies

• CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    This same debate comes up every month or so. Is it more expensive to eat healthy? I am one who says yes, it is more expensive no matter what anybody says. I know how to shop smart, use coupons, sales, bulk, etc, etc etc.. I could go on forever. But I have the checking account to show me that we are spending MUCH more money now that I'm eating and cooking healthy. Period.
    I'm so sick of hearing "it is cheaper in the long run due the medical bills", that I may throw up.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Between vitamins, supplements, and clean food I spend $60/week. Yes I've actually calculated this out. That's about $8.60 a day, or $2.80 per meal (3 meals).

Edit: on sale days/weeks, I make out like a bandit. Especially when chicken is buy-one-get-one (or just half-off), that's $20 in chicken for $10, big savings there :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Think of the expense of prescription drugs when you're older. You are probably cutting out a big chunk of that by developing a healthier body by way of nutrition. Yeah Whole Foods is ridiculously expensive. You don't need to buy organic or local produce though farmer's markets are a great value.
  • Taimarra
    Options
    It takes a LOT more work, but we've started spending an hour or so every week when the sale ads come out for all our local grocery stores going through those. We have a list of what we need, and another list of what we want in addition to that, and we check the 3 stores that have ads posted online with their weekly sales and make a spreadsheet of what costs how much where.

Once we have that, we go to the local big box store which *usually* has the lowest prices on pretty much everything. If what we want/need is least expensive there, we get it. If it's more expensive there than it is at one of the other stores, we drive to that other store for it. Some weeks we have to hit 3 and 4 stores to get the best prices (they're all within a few blocks of each other, and less than a mile from our house, luckily.) Other weeks we find all but one or two items at our main store.

Just the other night we managed to get food for all meals for 3 people (including a 12 pound Christmas ham and all the trimmings for Christmas dinner - also one of the 3 people eats enough for 3 people since he's a male looking to gain weight/muscle) for $150. That's $50/week for 3 people (adults), or just under $17/person per week. Yes, we'll have to go back in a couple more times to get the fresh fruits/veggies, but we're also blessed to live somewhere with a farmer's market not far from the house that opens every weekend where we can get awesome local produce for a fair price, because they only sell what's in season.
  • serenamin
    Options
    Go to local farmers markets. Grow your own vegitables. look up quick easy healthy recepies so you can plan your meals without impulse spending on groceries. Tv dinners will not make you full. You need full home cooked meals that you can feel proud of and stay healthy at the same time.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Nearly 3 bucks a pound for APPLES?? In Nevada? Where do you shop? I get frustrated with $1.99lb for them here in California, but often get them for less when the store has them on ad. Most stuff in California is higher priced than elsewhere, but maybe not produce? Although a lot of apples are shipped down from Washington state, can't imagine that would make them more expensive in Nevada over California, but who knows.

Costco is a great place to get some produce, and things like eggs & meat. A lot of cost up front, but the meat keeps in the freezer (and those chicken tenders thaw out so fast - great for quick lunch), and eggs will keep for a good long time - can't beat their price for 2 dozen eggs. Best price on bananas, too, and avocados, but you get a lot of them. Avocados will keep will in the fridge (they are 5 or 6 bucks for 5 avocados), but the bananas always ripen before I can eat them all - so then I make banana bread. Still worth the super cheap price ($1.39 for 3lbs last time I looked).

Shop around - there have to be better prices out there.
  • CM9178
    Options
    Go to local farmers markets. Grow your own vegitables. look up quick easy healthy recepies so you can plan your meals without impulse spending on groceries. Tv dinners will not make you full. You need full home cooked meals that you can feel proud of and stay healthy at the same time.
    Not everyody has access to farmers markets or has a place to grown their own vegetables - especially if living in a big city.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Not everyody has access to farmers markets or has a place to grown their own vegetables - especially if living in a big city.

Some people, based on their geography, are going to pay more for fresh produce and healthy food. That's reality. There was a thread a while back from someone in Nunavut, AK who said that melons were about $10USD each up there.
  • CM9178
    Options

Some people, based on their geography, are going to pay more for fresh produce and healthy food. That's reality. There was a thread a while back from someone in Nunavut, AK who said that melons were about $10USD each up there.
    Yup.. I'm NJ and usually red peppers are like $4/lb. So if it is a big pepper, it could easily be close to $4 for 1 pepper.
  • Laceyrae
    Laceyrae Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Look into a co-op such as Bountiful Baskets, they try and get healthy food at a fraction of cost. It has helped me tremendously! good luck, and remember what you spend in food you save in medical later on!!
  • CM9178
    Options
    Look into a co-op such as Bountiful Baskets, they try and get healthy food at a fraction of cost. It has helped me tremendously! good luck, and remember what you spend in food you save in medical later on!!
    What is that?
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

OHHH is that like Greenbean Delivery where they deliver fruits/veggies to your house every week or every other week? I tried it and i really liked it but we werent saving much money compared to at the store. I DID like how you could pick how much and what you got.
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It can be more expensive to eat the healthier foods…but for me, I'm not eating at restaurants and fast food places NEARLY as often, so I actually end up saving money. And stay in the seasonal produce section; produce tends to be a lot cheaper if you stay in season.
  • Yolanda4160
    Yolanda4160 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    :smile: I agree with those that said hit up your local farmers market or produce stand. Better prices, usually local, and/or organic! I can stop at my local market and walk out with 4 bags of produce for only $10 or $15! And then your money stays local as well
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    What is that?

Ummmm... See my post at the top of the page?
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    WINCO. I never shop Walmart EVER. (Yes, admitted Wal-Mart hater, here).
    Winco, Fred Meyer (if you have them), Trader Joe's, any local Farm-stand or farmer's market, Whole Foods (we call it whole paycheck, but the prices are getting better). Whole Foods is a staple for me.

Buy bulk, but you don't need much. Only buy what you realistically will eat in a week. 1 apple, 1 orange, 1 banana (or small bunch), etc. Each item is .80, .50, $1.59, etc so when you are done shopping it's not bad.

Only buy avocado if you'll really eat it. I often let them go bad if I don't.

Plan a menu and use epicurious or an app to help determine how much to buy based on what you want to make. it really helps cut down on the excess. My roommate makes the mistake of buying for a family of 4 when she's only buying for herself. Half of her food gets old and goes bad before she even THINKS about having it. DON"T DO THAT. Spoiling food drives me nuts.
    Good luck on your journey.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this has been posted yet but you don't have to buy EVERYTHING organic.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/ss/slideshow-to-buy-or-not-to-buy-organic
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I don't think eating healthy is expensive. What you spend on the front end, you save on the back end with better health and fewer doctors visits. I also think that eating healthy means eating less. I don't consume as much food as I didn't eating healthy. I'm not hungry all the time either. I get a lot of my health conscious foods at Costco, but I'm a pretty generic eater too.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Fruit is expensive in the winter. I generally stick to apples, oranges and bananas. Rice, potatoes, heads of lettuce, carrots, canned beans, are all affordable.