4-5 small meals a day

DangerRanger
DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
This week I've decided to try something new. I've been eating 5 times a day, meal or snack being 2-300 calories. Adds up to roughly 1500 calories w/ snacks. I've always been told that eating 5 small meals a day will keep your metabolism up, and plus it's better for your body. I was wondering if anyone out there eats roughly 5 small meals a day; also are you seeing results in maintain weight or losing weight.

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    This week I've decided to try something new. I've been eating 5 times a day, meal or snack being 2-300 calories. Adds up to roughly 1500 calories w/ snacks. I've always been told that eating 5 small meals a day will keep your metabolism up, and plus it's better for your body. I was wondering if anyone out there eats roughly 5 small meals a day; also are you seeing results in maintain weight or losing weight.

I try to do this most days. However, it's not because I beleive it keeps my metabolism up. If it does, the difference in weight loss is negligable.

I TRY to do this for two reasons. One, I don't feel as sluggish after smaller meals. Two, I'm less likely to snack, or eat more than I need at a bigger meal because I'm not ever really hungry.

However, I don't hold to the 5 meal a day thing as a hard rule.
  • I've been eating five to six meals a day for about ten years, ever since I did the Body For Life program. I like to do this because you get to eat very often; so if you're hungry, your next meal isn't very far away. I also agree that after a big meal, sometimes you feel sluggish. Most of the time, I just want a big, fat, nap! It works for me.
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    It's easier for me to manage!! If I eat smaller meals all throughout the day I'm a whole lot LESS LIKELY TO BINGE!
  • I try to eat 3 small meals a day with 2 small snacks (fruit or cheese stick or yogurt) in between. I am at a desk all day too, so I prepackage some snacks and keep in them my drawer. For me, I notice that if I eat every 3 hrs or so, I am not as hungry at my next meal AND it feels good to each enough not to be hungry vs eating until you are full (and tired). Plus I eat a lot less in the long run since I am never really hungry. Good luck to you.
  • oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    i eat little and often because no matter what i eat i will be hungry again after 2-3 hours, so i try to keep my meals small and have snacks in between

when i am away from my routine i might eat only 2-3 meals a day with a snack, but the mix helps keep my metabolism on its toes!

:heart:
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    I also eat 6 times a day. And don't kid yourself, it does help metabolism in "keeping the fire burning", but like others said, it helps stabilize blood sugar levels throughout the day, which in turn alleviates "cravings" and binges.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    I eat every two hours. Small meals and snacks, with the exception being dinnner (which i still keep around 400 calories). I don't do it to speed up my metabolism though. It's just the way i've eaten for years.

Big meals during the day bog me down.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    I eat about 6 times a day. I can't eat much at a time and it just works with the natural timing of my body. I get headaches if I don't eat every 2-3 hours (which a personal trainer suggested to me anyway). Like everyone has said, it does stabalize your blood sugar, and have many other benefits!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    If it works for you it works. I prefer 4. Sometimes I get 3 meals 3 snacks. I found if I do not eat a larger meal before bed I wake up every 2 hours. Waking up every 2 hours was driving me crazy so one night I stuffed myself (full of Protein) before bed and slept like a baby.

I like this quote about mindfulness.

Ellen Langner, the Harvard psychologist, puts it brilliantly in her book "Mindfulness," when she says that "certainty" is the enemy of mindfulness. When we blindly follow a strategy, for weight loss or for anything else, we often stop paying attention to the individual cues that tell us whether it's the right thing to do in our particular situation. We need to stop blindly following conventional wisdom and start paying attention to our individual differences when it comes to weight loss.
This discussion has been closed.