Maybe my calorie burn is not accurate? 30DS

Options
Hi I think I am in need of a little help. A bit about me: 32 yrs, pretty unfit, here to lose a bit of weight (7kg) and get 'generally fitter and more toned'. Have been doing MFP 6 weeks with steady progress. Quite pedantic with logging, weighing stuff (OMG I had no idea how much I was eating before starting MFP) and close to goal each day.

So all is good with food and logging. Exercise: do a mixture of cardio and core exercises (Core Fusion) and started 30 Day Shred DVD recently. So I'm not doing 30DS every day for 30 days (I have a short attention span and I get bored of doing the same thing every day), but I have noticed 3 things:

1.) cardio is getting much easier - I'm not as puffed doing the same distance, or I get faster, or I can go for longer when running/swimming
2.) core strength which was non existent is coming along (e.g. I can actually do the plank exercises in Core Fusion now instead of falling on my face after 5 seconds)
HOWEVER
3.) I'm actually feeling MORE wobbly with the strength exercises in the 30DS DVD. And I'm only using tiny weights.

What's happening here? When I log 30DS exercise in MFP it tells me I've burnt 153 calories in 20 minutes. (I log it as 'circuit training' as I have searched on here and that is what the ppl in the thread said). Is it possible this is incorrect and therefore I've been in a much bigger deficit therefore am losing muscle thus finding the strength exercises more difficult?

I'm a newbie so please forgive any glaring errors in what I've written above!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Seems about right to me. I'd stay the course a few more weeks and then check back to see if I needed to adjust
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

What's happening here? When I log 30DS exercise in MFP it tells me I've burnt 153 calories in 20 minutes. (I log it as 'circuit training' as I have searched on here and that is what the ppl in the thread said). Is it possible this is incorrect and therefore I've been in a much bigger deficit therefore am losing muscle thus finding the strength exercises more difficult?

I'm a newbie so please forgive any glaring errors in what I've written above!

balls out cardio you would be burning about 10-12 calories a minute.

just breathing and clicking the remote control you would be burning about 2-3 calories a minute.

so 153 calories for 20 minutes of the 30 DS is 7.65 calories a minute.

probably pretty close.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    3.) I'm actually feeling MORE wobbly with the strength exercises in the 30DS DVD. And I'm only using tiny weights.

Do you think maybe you are going through the motions faster now that you know the moves and not focusing on form as much?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    30DS for me, with a heart rate monitor, burns around 200 calories. I'm around 150 pounds.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hi Chrissie,

The burn for 30 Day Shred sounds about right. Might be a little bit low, depending on how hard you push yourself during the cardio segments. When I turn on my heart rate monitor for the full 27 minutes (including warm up and cool down), I burn about 250 cals if I push myself to the max. I am 5'8" and 151lbs and have been exercising regularly for almost 7 months now. As for feeling wobbly, I think that's normal from exertion. I use 5lb weights during 30DS and Ripped in 30 and I am usually screaming at Jillian during the last part of each strength segment and trying really hard to keep proper form!
  • ChrissieP80
    ChrissieP80 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. DH who only occasionally watches me said rted out following Anita but I'm following Natalie more now so that probably makes a bit of difference (getting lower with squats and lunges). It's funny cos you can't measure how l you go! I feel stronger and have more definition in arms so probably going in the right direction. Thanks again!