Replies

• pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Both
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Measure when I can, estimate when I can't. Measuring REALLY helps!
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Measure!
  • panther87
    panther87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It depends on what it is. If its a higher calorie item like salad dressing, mashed potatoes or meat I do measure. With vegetables I usually just kind of eye ball it. In the beginning I did measure almost every thing and then as i got used to looking at certain items I stopped measuring them. Especially salad. I know that my bowl I always use for supper hold about 3 cups(full) of chopped lettuce.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I meaure to the T
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I meaure to the T

I think "estimating" is what got me in trouble :)
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Measure when I can, estimate when I can't. Measuring REALLY helps!

ditto
  • nroesler
    Options
    got to love a kitchen scale! but it is so frustrating to measure something and then try to plug it into mfp and having to convert g to oz or oz to cups or cups to g......but I do my best
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I mostly measure but, once in a blue I will guesstimate!
  • Questfor250
    Options
    Both but at home I generally weigh with food scale. As said earlier I have made
    mental marks on glasses for 1 cup of milk, juice etc. But with high calorie home made things I get the measuring cup out exclusively.
  • dogmeat
    Options
    I've measured a typical usage for often-used things like margarine, cheese slices on a sandwich and how much milk I pour in my coffee. I rely on averages taken from 10+ such measurements for about half of my daily intake.

In my opinion, while it's not necessarily accurate to the gram, the fluctuations aren't worth the trouble. I prefer the process of counting/tracking taking as little effort as possible.

Now, if I hit a problem and need to troubleshoot, I can go back to measuring and re-calibrating my estimates, but as long as things are going smoothly, I can't be bothered to. What can I say, I'm a lazy sob.
  • mswing7674
    Options
    I went out and bought a nice digital food scale when my partner and i started this journey.. so I measure everything
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    always measure
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I used to measure, but after about 2 years of this, I now estimate. I would recommend measuring to every newbie, until you can estimate and come within 100 calories per meal for a week straight, I would keep measuring (I check every couple of days to see how far I'm off by, usually by very little), it helps to use the same foods all the time though.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I usually measure, but if its a food I eat often.... I generally know what the portion looks or feels like from repetitivness. When it comes to low cal stuff like veggies, I go to town without worry. Stuff like butter or oil, that I make sure to measure.

Actually, measuing has made me realize that sometimes I don't need the full serving. Like some salad dressings, I can get away with 1 tbsp rather than 2. I always thought 2 was small, but turns out I was always using less but logging more. That made room for other stuff that I didn't think I could afford.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    enter your own info in the database or pick the closest thing if it's not there?
  • freeflower3
    freeflower3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Measure!
  • freeflower3
    freeflower3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Measure!
  • ninabean
    ninabean Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what kind of results ur looking for.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Measure unless I'm not home.