Do you count housework towards your daily cals.

Options

Replies

• Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    No...while I may feel the pain the next day I do not find myself working up my heart rate while doing it.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Yes, house cleaning is exercise. If you are doing any activity that gets your heart rate going and you are physically fatigued you can log that under your exercise tab.

The thing is it doesn't really elevate your HR much. There's a difference between perceived exertion and actual calorie burn. Being fatigued and sweaty just means you're out of shape not that you burned a lot of calories. My 300 lb hubby gets out of breath walking up a flight of stairs. He's flabby and out of shape, not working up a huge calorie burn.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    No.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Nope. Consider it bonus calories burned.

I believe that's called exercise.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Options
    No
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Breathing burns calories... but that does not mean it is exercise.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Typically no as I feel it gives me that little wiggle room for any errors in logging.

If you feel you want to log it, do so. But did you do these things once a month when you were not logging your calories? logging or not logging its not going to make or break any success you have.
  • tracygolden
    tracygolden Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that any activity that raises heartrate can be considered exercise. When I first started, scrubbing the floor could do that. So I counted it. Now its not as tiring, etc so I don't . You do what is best for YOU!
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options

ditto on this one comment.
  • ma_oeuvre
    Options
    A once a month deep clean? Damn right I count it! You're working hard, working your muscles, getting your heart rate up a little - yes, log it! One thing though - be a bit wary of how many calories mfp says you have burned, I feel that they overestimate the household deep clean :)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

I believe that's called exercise.

You burn calories just by being alive. Does being alive count as exercise?
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I think I've only logged cleaning once. I see people on here log everything from cleaning to cooking. I don't know? I guess if you're wearing a HRM maybe?

23087067.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • LovahLorah
    LovahLorah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If I am heavily cleaning I log it, it allows me to visually see my extra wiggle room, if needed. It also is a great motivator to see calories burned, really gets me to clean more :wink: I don't eat back the calories usually, but I like to see what I am working with. To each their own, that's my opinion.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    It is counted on my BMF so yes i count it. And it can actually add up to a good amount of calories. I can burn a lot of calories with slow and steady activity over several hours, and sometimes i feel like this is better than fast hard burns. But if i didn't use the BMF i would probalby not count it as activity, but rather just include it in my daily BMR calculation.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    No.. nor do I count strolling to the park with my kids, walking around the lake throwing rocks in the water, washing the car, painting my spare bedroom, cooking, doing laundry, dancing at a wedding..... I agree with the previous poster who said that is life, not exercise.

I agree with this.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I amazes me that people are going to poo, poo someones activity just because it's not "gym exercise". Just because someone isn't bench pressing or running at the gym doesn't mean that what they do to burn calories isn't exercise. Disgusting that people are dissing others means of "exercise". You should be ashamed of yourselves!

Yes, house cleaning is exercise. If you are doing any activity that gets your heart rate going and you are physically fatigued you can log that under your exercise tab.

you log cleaning don't you :flowerforyou:
  • toya316
    toya316 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

EXACTLY....
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't, but I also have an otherwise busy lifestyle. I don't judge those who do, it's up to each of us to be honest about our own energy expenditures and be true to ourselves. If you feel that you're getting a good burn doing this and it's not already built into your set daily activity level, then why the hell not?