Double Standard...OK for a guy...NOT for a gal

Options
recently a guy posted his huge weight loss in a short time by following a popular fad diet where you eat 800 calories a day. He received 5 pages of congratulations and atta boys. A few replies pointed out that the diet was not sustainable long term and those people were blasted for being non supportive and rude.

this morning, a woman posted a thread stating her intention to do basically the same thing (low calorie diet) and was immediately roasted and told she was being stupid and dangerous.

interestingly, one of the people supporting the guy also posted on the woman's thread telling her she should not do it.

a clear double standard............ok for the guy but not for the gal

WHY?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Because people are stupid sometimes.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    That's even worse for a guy as opposed to a woman, dude really should be eating more calories. That's a real backwards double standard right there.
  • toomuchsleep
    Options

exactly! if she wants to do it and it works for her, then awesome :flowerforyou:
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Just report any thread which glamourises low calorie diets or promotes them other than under the supervision of a medical professional.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options

More often than not, I'd say.
  • LetsGetFitMama
    Options
    I also find gals can def be way more critical on each other as well. If it works for you and you know and understand the health risk that go with those kinds of diets, then have at it! Good luck! Losing weight is hard enough on its own without adding the silly comments of others who don't want to encourage you, instead would rather put you down.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options

exactly! if she wants to do it and it works for her, then awesome :flowerforyou:

• TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Probably for the same reason that a women that is overweight is FAT and a guy that is overweight is MANLY !!! People sadly veiw woman and men totally differently.
  • jmjm55077
    Options
    Sexism is alive and thriving in our society...
  • PibblesRun
    PibblesRun Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I also find gals can def be way more critical on each other as well. If it works for you and you know and understand the health risk that go with those kinds of diets, then have at it! Good luck! Losing weight is hard enough on its own without adding the silly comments of others who don't want to encourage you, instead would rather put you down.

Yes! Alot of women are so critical of other women...But I just tell myself the women that are judgmental and critical towards others are the ones that are the most misserable and have to feel better by critcizing others!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    So many people think of anorexia as a female health issue which is clearly not the case at least any longer. When it comes to your own weight loss I think you've got to ignore the critics and keep trying to see what works for your own body. Each of us is different and what works for one won't necessarily be the answer for another. That said.... Always consider the long term and what you can sustain over the long term. Get professional advice when needed and get educated which does not mean ask people on MFP who you have no way of qualifying their expertise or reason to accept their opinion as the only opinion. There are many ways to get this done but one things clear-- eat less, move more and do that more times than not . That goes for men and women. :wink:
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I see a lack of nutrients as a lack of nutrients and not healthy even if you are losing weight. I think scary low calorie diets should be medically managed. That's of course a personal opinion and we all know how those are.

• Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

um, no
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

*whooosh*
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Tht just simply makes no sense at all.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    My take is the double standard is in the fact he already completed the loss. She hadn't started. Maybe they were just blindly congratulating the guy or thought it's too late to point out not to do it. Dunno, I am not the poster so not sure what went through their mind. Just an idea.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Probably for the same reason that a women that is overweight is FAT and a guy that is overweight is MANLY !!! People sadly veiw woman and men totally differently.

I've never, ever, heard a guy who's overweight be referred to as "manly" :noway:

No. We are usually referred to as "fat-fugg".
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Personally, I try to avoid commenting on high weight loss rates and methods. As others have mentioned, my focus is trying to do what is sustainable. This weigh, when I get to my goal weight, I don't have to change what I eat, only the amounts.
    I try to keep my workout routines at a level I can sustain in the long term.
    I can't change other people.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I didn't see either post, but both sound like bad ideas.