Plateau Issue - well, maybe

Options
Starting to get a little frustrated, but it's not discouraging, but I feel like I am in the same loop. Started in April 2012 with diet, added running in June, added cycling in July....August joined a gym and have not missed more than 2 days in a row since then. Working with a personal trainer one day a week. Goal is to lose weight. Current schedule. Lift 3/4 days week, run 3 miles each of the other 3 days...take a day off unless I am extremely bored, in which case I will run some more.

At this point, down 68lbs, (very happy and not discouraged at all), but for the last 6 - 8 weeks, the weight loss has 'paused'. I want to lose another 10lbs, but just can't seem to get below 200 right now. I am leaning towards nutrition as my issue as I don't have a 'clear' regiment there. I do stick to a strict diet, but in general, I'm not sure if I am eating the right things to fuel my body. Yes, I realize my body shape is changing and I'm ok with that, but I still think I can lose 10 more to get to 190lbs (height 5' 9").

Here is my basic schedule....all gym time is in the morning (7:00am)
Immediately after weights/cardio, Protein Shake,
Veggie Egg White Omelet (4 eggs) around 9:00am
Another Protein Shake @ 11:00ish
Lunch @ 12:30ish (Usually high protein like Chicken/Tuna), and some carbs (Whole wheat/multi grain bread or Quinoa)
Protein bar around 2:30 (Has good protein to carb ratio)
Dinner around 7:00ish (usually some white meat meal with veggies, or lean beef).
Protein Shake before Bed

Plenty of water throughout the day......

(Protein Shake is Gold Standard Whey, not muscle milk)

As you can see, I don't really have any HIGH carb items (pasta, rice) in my current diet.

I snack occasionally on almonds or fruit (but never after 4:00pm with something high in sugar/carbs) I try to cut out carb heavy items in the evenings.

Does anyone see any room for improvement here, either with exercise or eating, or do I have to accept the fact that I'm a 200lb person that is replacing fat with lean muscle and my weight is what it is? :(

On occasion, I will eat a bad meal to mix it up, but that is something like Chicken Parm, Pasta w/meatballs

Sorry for all the jibba jabba, but needed to ask/vent/seek advice......

Thanks in advance...
Joe

Replies

• Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough.

Also, the weight now is not going to come off as quickly as it did before, and you may be eating at too big of a deficit to fuel your workouts and your body.

How many calories do you average in a day?
  • rottyman
    Options
    I am ashamed to say that I don't track calories anymore. I found that i was pretty much eating the same thing each day and I 'knew' I was on the right track. It became tedious. I decided if I started gaining weight, I would go back to tracking my calories.

If I were to guess, I would say 1800 - 2200 (not counting burned calories from exercise). That was my daily intake before I stopped counting and nothing has really changed in that respect.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Great job on your progress so far!

If you're still eating the same things and quantities all the time, that could be the problem. Your body has changed, so likely your caloric needs have changed as well. Have you run your numbers through a BMR/TDEE calculator recently?

I found this topic and the tools and info there VERY helpful for getting through a plateau after I had lost some initial weight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It would mean you'd need to start tracking your foods again, but might be just the thing to keep the fat loss going and the scale moving again.
  • rottyman
    Options

this sounds exactly like the issue here. Great information here. I will have to read through it and see what i can change up.

Joe
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Congrats on all your progress so far!

I would say the "in place of a road map" link that was given is probably your best resource right now. I don't really think people should track their calories forever, but if you go back to a few weeks of tracking, you can just ensure that you're eating appropriately. Just keep in mind, that with a small amount of weight that you'd like to lose, you have to plan for that weight loss to be slow. A half pound a week is the amount I'd suggest - no more than that, especially with all the weight training you're doing

Really, though, you're going to have to shortly reevaluate your focus -- at this point, is the number on the scale really your priority? I would suggest really shifting your focus to measurements, your progress in lifting, etc. No one but you sees your weight on the scale. Good luck!
  • rottyman
    Options
    good points.....maybe it's perspective I need to work on ;)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Here is my basic schedule....all gym time is in the morning (7:00am)
    Immediately after weights/cardio, Protein Shake,
    Veggie Egg White Omelet (4 eggs) around 9:00am
    Another Protein Shake @ 11:00ish
    Lunch @ 12:30ish (Usually high protein like Chicken/Tuna), and some carbs (Whole wheat/multi grain bread or Quinoa)
    Protein bar around 2:30 (Has good protein to carb ratio)
    Dinner around 7:00ish (usually some white meat meal with veggies, or lean beef).
    Protein Shake before Bed

Plenty of water throughout the day......

(Protein Shake is Gold Standard Whey, not muscle milk)

As you can see, I don't really have any HIGH carb items (pasta, rice) in my current diet.

I snack occasionally on almonds or fruit (but never after 4:00pm with something high in sugar/carbs) I try to cut out carb heavy items in the evenings.

Why so many bars and shakes and little real food? Where is the nine servings of fruit and vegetables in the full rainbow of colours? Where are the healthy fats especially oily fish? Where are the dairy products? What are you replacing the minerals and fibre in wholegrains and beans/ lentils with? IMO go back to basics, you can't just eliminate numerous food groups from your diet and get all the nutrients your body needs for health including energy production/ metabolism. Deficiencies put your body into a state of stress which can cause the body to burn muscle and hold onto fat.
  • rottyman
    Options
    All good points. Yes, I am going back to basics and beans and legumes is definitely something I will be adding back in along with the other items mentioned.