Has anyone used zenical??

Options
I have been prescribed zenical by my doctor and am a bit wary about it! The side effects look quite bad , he says it will be fine but I would really appreciate some feedback from people that have actualy used it.
thanx.

Replies

• jlemmon
    jlemmon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Ellie 113

I took Zenical about 10 years ago when it first came on the market. The side effects were quite bad. You really have to be careful what you eat.....not to eat anything fatty or cheesey. I had some pretty awful accidents with the urgency of going to the bathroom a few times and it was quite embarassing. I never felt that is curbed my appetite but again I only took it for about two months. Good luck. I just finished with a month of Nutrisystem. It was very repetitious and very expensive but I have lost 18 lbs in 35 days with no cheating. Counting calories and writing everything down helps and I try to stay busy.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Orlistat (Xenical) isn't an appetite suppressant, it's a fat blocker.

Anyway, Xenical is a product that is supposed to be used along with a proper diet and exercise. IMHO I would skip the Xenical and just do the proper diet and exercise part, it may take a little longer, but you aren't screwing with your body chemistry, and you won't have to re-learn how to eat correctly all over again after you stop taking it (it changes how your body processes calories, when ever you do this to your body, there is a learning curve). Plus it's bad to take this if you have gallbladder problems, or an under active thyroid, just so you are aware. This medication doesn't do anything you can't do without it, it just makes it happen a little quicker, and (as jlemmon said) has some ugly side effects if you're not careful.
  • marjaskow
    Options
    I used it several years ago. The weight loss was pretty good while on it, but if you eat anything with fat in it the fat literally goes right through you. It wasn't comfortable. When I went off it the weight came back on. Really the only way to lose weight permanantly is to make the healthy changes in eating habits that you can do for life and be active. I would say the only thing good about being on it was that I realized really quick which foods had fat in them and was reminded to stay away from them.
  • Ellie113
    Options
    Thanx people, think I'll stick with my first instinct and stay clear!! Ive been doing o.k so far without them (19lb in 4 weeks). I'm following the weight watchers programme and sticking to it quite well, I also find that keeping a food diary helps alot!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Thanx people, think I'll stick with my first instinct and stay clear!! Ive been doing o.k so far without them (19lb in 4 weeks). I'm following the weight watchers programme and sticking to it quite well, I also find that keeping a food diary helps alot!

OK? 19 lbs in 4 weeks is off the charts!
  • Ellie113
    Options
    I know it sounds good but I have ALOT to lose,I'm just a bit worried that with such a good start I may get disheartened when it slows down hence the reason I was considering the zenical.