Vacationing with friend who has effortless perfect body

Options
So, in January my husband and I are going on a Caribbean cruise with another couple. This girl is one of my very good friends and I like her a lot (hence why we are going on the cruise with them), so this has nothing to do with our friendship or anything. It's 100% me and my insecurities.

This girl has a perfect body. She's probably 5'1" and maybe weighs 100lbs. Plus she has fake boobs. I've seen her in a bathing suit before and I wanted to die. She doesn't even work out or anything. It's unfair and I'm jealous. I cannot over the fact that I'm 5'3" and 130lbs (and I work my BUTT off) and my body just looks terrible :( and I'm going to be in a bikini right next to this girl, with our husbands. I don't want to be insanely embarrassed. Maybe I should get a cover up or something?

Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Stop comparing yourself to other women. I know it's hard, most of us females do it. But you're just going to make yourself miserable.

Gain some confidence. Decide what you DO love about your body and focus on that. Let that confidence flow through you and you will radiate. Confidence is key.

You have a husband, he's with you for a reason.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Stop comparing yourself to other women. I know it's hard, most of us females do it. But you're just going to make yourself miserable.

Gain some confidence. Decide what you DO love about your body and focus on that. Let that confidence flow through you and you will radiate. Confidence is key.

This there is really nothing to add, it's perfect.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

This there is really nothing to add, it's perfect.

What I've figured out is that while shape is genetic, everyone's body takes effort. Remember that and listen to the above advice.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

^This.

Also, a good friend of mine said this to me yesterday, and it was exactly what I needed to hear. I won't name names though, he has a reputation to maintain.

"How is somebody that never fell down gonna tell you how to get back up? Anybody can be born skinny, but give me a chick that had to scratch and claw for hers instead. "

Wear that damn bikini. Rock the **** out of it. And be ****ing proud about it.
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Dayum I'm 5' 3" and 140 lbs; my goal is between 125 and 130. Don't think that's gonna look terrible, in fact I look pretty awesome now!

So it's in your eyes and head. Maybe try to tone up before? Strength training will add a lot of confidence...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options

Yup...also, you're at a perfectly healthy weight for your height, and believe it or not, you're most likely the envy of other women in tht RE. What kind of exercise do you do? If you're not lifting, you should start...being at a healthy weight, I'd say you should focus in on body composition rather than losing weight.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I get it, my best friend is a goddess (5'10", fit, boob job)! But you just have to get that crap out of your head! I'm sure your body's nowhere near as bad as you think it is! And don't do the cover up thing, IMHO, that just draws attention to the fact that you're uncomfortable with your body. You look how you look and there's not much you can do about it before the vacation so just accept it and plan on having a fantastic time with your friends and your hubby!!

ETA: Ok, correction, as others pointed out, you could start doing something about it. Definitely add in some strength training. If you're not sure where to start, try a DVD program like 30 Day Shred or No More Trouble Zones.
  • alschultz33
    alschultz33 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Oh, how easy it would be for all of us if we could just gain confidence and feel amazing in cute skimpy bathing suits. Sadly, that's not the reality for most of us. If it were, there wouldn't be so many of people on MFP striving for better bodies (not all people, but a pretty decent amount)

I empathize with what you're going through. I'm heading to Cabo in March with a friend who is a size nothing. I'm nervous about it. I'm trying to work out and watch my diet twice as diligently so I can feel better about squeezing my butt into a bikini for the first time in my life (and yes, I'll be purchasing a couple cover-ups just incase I'm feeling a bit too self conscious). It's normal to feel this way.

With that said, we have to stick together here and realize that people aren't obsessing over our figures nearly as much as we do (or at all). If anything, fake the confidence. It might help you in the long run and no one will know the difference :wink:
  • nickelpickle
    Options
    Wow. Thank you so much everyone for the overwhelming support. I really appreciate it!!!

For everyone who suggested weight lifting, I lift 2x/week. I do four sets of 12 reps with the heaviest weight I can stand. I'm not bulky but I am very toned underneath the fat that does still exist. I also run 3miles 3x/week and do 40 min of cross training every week. I do Plyometrics every once in a while as well. I eat around 1,500 cals/day.

I've lost 10 lbs since the end of September in preparation for this cruise so I know things are getting better. I just can see myself not feeling so proud despite all of my hard work when I see her in her bikini and I'm standing there in mine :( it flat out stinks! Everyone is truly correct in that it's all in my head. I've never been super tiny and I guess I just wish I was!

Thank you again everyone. I will bookmark this post so that I can look at it if I feel sad during the cruise :)