PMS and Hunger

Options
Is there anyone who has tips on how to beat TOM and the ravishing hunger he brings. Once a month I am set back a week because I cant get full. Please help. Im never I have to eat every three hours.

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I find it's not real hunger but the hormones playing tricks on me. What I do is drink extra water and lots of tea which definately helps! I also try to eat a lot of foods that are higher volumes for not too many calories. A huge salad may run 200 cals but is a huge serving and fills you up. Also, increase fibre and protein to help you feel full longer. I also try to get some extra exercise in to allow for more food.

Keeping busy helps! Clean, knit, paint, read, take a long walk or bath etc to keep busy and not focus on food. Also, eat things like sunflower seeds, pomegrantes etc which take a long while to actually eat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Eat more lean proteins and higher fat foods. Also, you can decrease your deficit during that time. When you are injured or having that time, your metabolic rate will increase to repair your body. That is why you are hungry and that same will happen when you do a heavy resistance training. I actually saw an experiment from a member on here that set her account to maintain several months in a row when her friend came, and continued to lose weight during that time instead of gaining.
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I also find I'm not really hungry, rather dehydrated! I can't get enough water during that time!! If you're cycle is fairly predictable, maybe try increasing your water intake a day or two ahead to get good and hydrated, and then make a point to drink more water during your TOM, as well. I find that it helps with bloating, fatigue, and cramps if you go in prepared, too!!