New to weight lifting and looking to tone PLEASE HELP!

Options
I was looking through the forums last night and i noticed a thread about heavy lifting i was totally inspired and motivated to start heavy lifting but i have no clue how to start. I have mainly been doing cardio and a few workouts i have found on pinterest that mixes jumping jacks, crunches, reverse crunches, burpees, Russian twists, squats, and that sorta stuff. But i'm very interested in the heavy lifting but i don't really know how to start if someone would be willing to give me some pointers on where to start i would really appreciate it. Even if you could post your routine that you do anything would help, i am a really big noob to working out and i can admit that but i am trying my best.

Just a little background on me, I am 23 years old, have Arthritis in hands and knees, aswell i was in a car accident which impacted my shoulder and back. I started off weighing 360lbs and i got down to 187, after having some health problems gained and went back up to 230 i am currently sitting at 212. I did have Gastric bypass surgery 3 years ago to help loose the weight

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

Replies

• rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    There is a great book - New Rules Of Lifting For Women.
    This will give you routines to follow.
  • jayboy123456
    Options
    well done in losing so much weight, and good luck on your continued quest:)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    "If you want to train correctly, you must learn correctly. And that requires some studying… sorry about it." (Borrowed from EliteFTS.com facebook post)

Grab a good book or two. NROL mentioned above is good. Starting Strength is even better. Take time to work on your form, then start smashing personal records week after week.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    what are your goals?

I'm assuming fat burning is still your primary goal.

I'd say that lifting heavy will help you achieve that, but something like circuit training might support that goal better as well as go a long way for body shaping.

lots of good advice in the thread so far.

oh, and weight training may help you with your arthritis in the long run
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I'd also add that if you haven't lifted heavy before - having someone in a good gym (think here old school gym with free weights and not much more) - paying for a session where they show you how to lift the weights and what form to use would be a great introduction to them.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'd also add that if you haven't lifted heavy before - having someone in a good gym (think here old school gym with free weights and not much more) - paying for a session where they show you how to lift the weights and what form to use would be a great introduction to them.

The books are good, but a personal trainer - as mentioned here - is even better. It's very difficult to ensure you have proper form without someone that knows what they're looking at critiquing you.
  • Kaylaj21
    Kaylaj21 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your advice and help i hope its not to late to add a few more books to my santas list :) thanks alot!