When night time comes....

I'm a Mom that works FT outside of the house. I find that I'm usually fine during the day with my calorie intake and controlling what I put in my body. I pack my breakfast and lunch and fruit for snacks....and I'm good during the day. However, when the sun goes down I find myself a bit out of control....it's like all bets are off.

I can cook and eat a sensible dinner, but it's the little extras that are killer....a beer or a glass of wine (or two), dessert with the kids, munchies while watching a show, popcorn, cheese stick, etc. I can consume 500 or more calories before I go to bed.

OMG! At night, all I think about is food...

Any suggestions, tips, help, been there and conquered it advice?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    stop eating when you hit your calorie goal
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    How many calories are you eating per day?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    It's not for everyone, but I just came to realise that I prefer to eat more later on in the day. What suits me is to have a light breakfast (or skip it altogether), a light lunch, a large meal around 7-8 pm and then snacks later on in the evening. So, the majority of my calories are consumed in the evening, and I'm never uncomfortably hungry, and rarely feel that "out of control" feeling any more.
  • bubbleskiwi
    bubbleskiwi Posts: 148 Member
    are you eating enough during the day?
  • jaharrison763
    jaharrison763 Posts: 99 Member
    I go to the gym after work, so I eat later dinners (usually 7-7:30), and I think that keeps me from endless snacking at night. It can become a bad habit!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    As long as your are still under your calorie goal after the snacks, then I wouldn't worry too much.

I typically only eat half my calories throughout the day and eat the other half between 6 PM and whenever I go to bed.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Meal timing and frequency have NO effect on fat loss. I eat right before I go to bed.. it's a non issue.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Make a smoothie... milk, mango, peach, banana and share with the kids to give a healthy choice to the little ones... 120 calories to 240 calories depending on size of serving. Use almond milk to cut even more calories.
    Make a skinny elvis... open faced peanut butter and banana sandwich on high fiber toast... use half a banana and give other half to the kids... 200 to 300 calories depending on size of serving...
    Have some Orville Redenbacher light popcorn or smart pop and share with the kids... 240 calories if you scarf down the entire bag yourself.
    Get up extra early and workout, then get to bed earlier... you burn 25% more calories sleeping than while watching TV. Save tv shows on DVR to watch while on the treadmill or exercise bike.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Plan out your days based on what you know about yourself. If you know you like to drink & snack at night, plan it out so that there's room in the "budget" for those calories.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I eat about 1000 of my calories on dinner and after dinner snacking. If you know you're going to want to snack then just leave yourself room in your calorie goal.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    It's not for everyone, but I just came to realise that I prefer to eat more later on in the day. What suits me is to have a light breakfast (or skip it altogether), a light lunch, a large meal around 7-8 pm and then snacks later on in the evening. So, the majority of my calories are consumed in the evening, and I'm never uncomfortably hungry, and rarely feel that "out of control" feeling any more.

This!! I'm an evening eater. If I'm tempted to snack during midday, I tell myself to save it for later. Or exercise so you have a calorie cushion. I'm starting to Zumba hard and doing squats during every Go Diego Go song. Lol Going to do something tough during the little ones nap.

Another tip, find a hobby that keeps your hands busy while watching tv. Knit, crochet, paint, draw, crosstitch, sew on all the buttons that have come off shirts in the past year that you haven't gotten around to, scrapbook, organize and purge some storage bins, colour in a colouring book, whittle.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    If you eat more at night eat less during the day. Upping my protein and fiber has really helped and having a larger dinner. I will plan on a snack. You could change your snack to the fruit you normally eat earlier. Non fat Greek yogurt with berries and stevia is very low on cals high on protein and fiber is yummy and filing. I also hand sew in front of the tele and can not have sticky fingers.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Plan out your days based on what you know about yourself. If you know you like to drink & snack at night, plan it out so that there's room in the "budget" for those calories.

This is what I do. Proper planning is the key to success.
  • I find having a cup of tea always helps me to curb cravings. I'm very similar to you. I do fine during the day, and then snack all night long. Before I reach for the snacks i have a cup of tea with sweetener and the cravings usual go.
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    I've started only allowing myself a "treat" at night if I worked out that day. DISCLAIMER: doesn't always work LOL!
  • this thread totally applies to me....i find that im a evening eater as well...i can do good all day until i get home with my little munchkins lol
  • keshia1976
    keshia1976 Posts: 9 Member
    I was just talking to a co-worker about this earlier this week. This totally sounds like me. During the day I am good because I pack my breakfast and lunch, then I night I eat nonstop. I told myself I am going to stop eating after 7 or maybe have a light snack (carrots, broccolli, etc.).
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

^^^

Eat breakfast and lunch later in the day and shave some of the calories off them to make room for snacks after dinner.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 569 Member
    I'm sort of that way too. I try not to eat past 9, not because of the whole eating late thing, so much as, the later I eat. the hungrier I wake up in the middle of the night, and then have to eat again. But that aside, I do like to eat most at night. Try to keep your calorie intake lower during the day (drinking more water and less other things really helps) so you have more wiggle room at night.
  • It's not for everyone, but I just came to realise that I prefer to eat more later on in the day. What suits me is to have a light breakfast (or skip it altogether), a light lunch, a large meal around 7-8 pm and then snacks later on in the evening. So, the majority of my calories are consumed in the evening, and I'm never uncomfortably hungry, and rarely feel that "out of control" feeling any more.

This is exactly what I do as well and it works amazingly for me. Most days I have lots of extra calories at the end of the day to snack on whatever I feel like (within reason, of course) :)