tea to replace 8 cups of water?

Options
Can I use a cup of tea to replace one of my 8 glasses of water?

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much water anyway, isn't it?

And you don't necessarily have to drink eight glasses a day.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If you mean for the purpose of hydrating your body, yes.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    if it's pure water (with nothing else, not even gas) log it as your water. if it's not, put it in your food diary.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Of course you can.
  • ebazz2334
    Options
    Just watch out for the caffine...even decaf tea has some caffine in it.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It annoys me that people say you can't. Tea is water... log it as such.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    as long as your pee is light yellow it doesn't matter what you are drinking.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    yep, i drink it instead since i hate water. hasnt hurt me so far.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Yes, log the amount of water you used (1 cup? 2? etc)
  • thank you everyone!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    if it's pure water (with nothing else, not even gas) log it as your water. if it's not, put it in your food diary.

Well in that case, I guess I never get to log any of my hydration. :noway:

All fluids hydrate you. If your tea is decaf, it doesn't have a diuretic effect and is basically water. There's no reason you can't log it as such. Make sure you log calories like sugar and cream, though.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Well in that case, I guess I never get to log any of my hydration. :noway:

All fluids hydrate you. If your tea is decaf, it doesn't have a diuretic effect and is basically water. There's no reason you can't log it as such. Make sure you log calories like sugar and cream, though.

If your tea isn't decaf it still isn't a diuretic unless you are consuming gallons of it.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It takes 8 liters of water to make a liter of beer. I get to log a lot of water.
  • rileysadams
    Options
    caffeine inhibits the body's ability to make antidiuretic hormone (ADH) which is a chemical secreted by the kidneys to concentrate urine (pull water out of the mix to keep you hydrated). It's not a big deal so long as you drink enough water to overcome the effects of the caffeine. So in order to be safe you might want to drink more fluids that you might otherwise think you need. But listen to your body: if you're peeing regularly, it's clear in color, and you feel well...you should be good to go!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    It takes 8 liters of water to make a liter of beer. I get to log a lot of water.

?? There's about a liter of water in a liter of beer. While it may take more to make beer, most of that is evaporated away during brewing. If you make pasta, you don't log the water you boiled the pasta in, do you?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    caffeine inhibits the body's ability to make antidiuretic hormone (ADH) which is a chemical secreted by the kidneys to concentrate urine (pull water out of the mix to keep you hydrated). It's not a big deal so long as you drink enough water to overcome the effects of the caffeine. So in order to be safe you might want to drink more fluids that you might otherwise think you need. But listen to your body: if you're peeing regularly, it's clear in color, and you feel well...you should be good to go!

The reality is, to counteract the effect of a cup of coffee, you might need an extra sip or 2 of water during the day.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I love plain ole water; but you dont need water to stay hydrated. In fact, you could go forever without having to drink anything.

http://www.rodale.com/water-foods
  • TheOrangeViolin
    Options
    I am an avid tea drinker, and agree with most of you... Tea does have caffeine, and therefore is a diuretic; however, this mainly depends one what type of tea you are drinking. For instance, green teas have only about one fourth the amount caffeine as a cup of coffee, and is therefore not nearly as much of a diuretic.

Here are a few stats- number of mg of caffeine per cup.

Coffee, drip 115-176mg
    Coffee, brewed 80-135mg
    Tea, white 6-25mg
    Tea, green 15-30mg
    Tea, black 40-60mg

Depends on how it's made, so sources differ slightly. Also there are other teas (such as mate, rooibos, and herbal teas) that range from NO caffeine to MORE caffeine than a cup of coffee... Teas also have a host of other health benefits.

In my opinion, It's all about doing your homework, knowing what you are consuming, and doing what works for you. I will continue to drink my tea daily, and post it in my "water consumption." I feel that tea if the lesser of two evils when it comes to the tea vs. coffee debate. With either tea or coffee the main thing to be wary of is whatever you choose to add such as: milk, cream, or sweeteners...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

?? There's about a liter of water in a liter of beer. While it may take more to make beer, most of that is evaporated away during brewing. If you make pasta, you don't log the water you boiled the pasta in, do you?

For the pasta, I weigh it before and after and log the difference.