I came accross this article and thought I'd share

imagymrat
imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
When I first started training my body I had 4 small children at home and no extra money, these tips would have been appreciated, so I thought i'd share, I truly beleive that if you have the WANT to change, no obstacles can get in the way. I especially like the stair exercises, it's amazing how running up and down stairs works your legs, bum and core!..and it's free, Iuse to do it with my baby in a carrier..added weight..more cals burned!

12 Frugal Exercise Ideas

If you're not careful, getting in shape can cost quite a pretty penny. From the monthly cost of a gym membership, to very expensive home workout machines, to workout clothes, an MP3 player, a heart-rate monitor, costly shoes, very costly bicycles, health magazines and books, workout shakes and supplements, and more — physical fitness often isn't very cheap. However, you don't have to buy all that stuff, and if you'd like to get fit on a shoestring budget, it's very possible. Here's how.

1. Skip the gym. One of the biggest costs for many people is the cost of a gym membership. It's actually worth the cost, if it will motivate you to work out, but if you can motivate yourself to work out at home, or at a community pool, or on a track or trail, you don't need to pay the monthly gym fee. Cancel your membership and use one of the options below.

2. Cheap home equipment. What can you do at home instead of using gym equipment or expensive home workout machines? The possibilities are endless, but some favorites include getting a barbell or a couple of dumbells. With either of these, you can do a very complete, full-body workout. (Here's one example.) Or try jumping rope, or using a medicine ball, or a stability ball, or stretchable bands, or a chin-up bar that you can install in your doorway.

3. Walk. Walking is free. You don't even need fancy shoes (although you want comfortable shoes) or fancy workout clothes (again, find some comfortable clothes already in your wardrobe). Find a school track or a nice park, and you're all set up.

4. Run. Running can be expensive, actually, if you buy a lot of gadgets such as a heart rate monitor and other similar items. But really all you need is a good pair of shoes. Other than that, you can run anywhere, just about, and get a good workout.

5. Swim. If you have to pay to use a swimming pool, this isn't a frugal option. But you might live near a beach or a lake, where you can swim for free, or there might be a community pool near you for very cheap. And swimming is one of the best workouts there is.

6. Even cheaper home equipment. Don't have the cash for some dumbbells or medicine ball? Use stuff you already have. A stairway can give you a free step workout. Heavy cans can be weights. Your kid's swing set can be a chinup bar. Be creative. Or, alternatively, you probably know 10 people who have exercise equipment they're not using (it's extremely common) — ask them if they'd let you have them for free.

7. Sports. Play pickup basketball with some friends, or go outside and play soccer with your kids, or join a local league. The key is to get active.

8. Free fitness info. Instead of buying a bunch of books and picking up a magazine every time you go to the store, surf the web for some free exercise info. You can find a ton of useful info online: RunnersWorld.com or CoolRunning.com for runners, or try Zen Habit's health tip day, or Google "exercise" or "fitness" or some variant thereof, and you'll find a million free articles.

9. Cheap workout fuel. Instead of buying expensive workout supplements, you can just use what you normally have in the house. A great post-workout drink, for example, is chocolate milk: it has protein and carbs, which is really what you want. Other good sources of protein include egg whites, low-fat yogurt, soy protein, and nuts.

10. Bodyweight exercises and pliometrics. Another great free workout that doesn't require any equipment is bodyweight exercises: pushups, chair dips, crunches, Hindu squats, Hindu pushups, lunges, squats and many more. Also try pliometrics, where you use explosive exercises to improve athletic performance and burn tons of calories.

11. Use the stairs. If you work in a building, use the stairs every day instead of the elevator. Over the course of a month, you could burn a few pounds of calories.

12. Converse or contemplate. Instead of buying an MP3 player to keep your mind company while walking or running, try free alternatives: conversation with a partner or contemplation while you're alone. They're actually very calming and worth giving a try

Replies

• ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    I'd never heard of a hindu pushup or squat. Interesting.
  • What exactly is a hundu squat or push up?
  • What exactly is a hundu squat or push up?
    [/quote

I was thinking the same thing....I found this link (just cut and paste);

http://www.cbass.com/Furey.htm
  • Interesting. Looks somewhat painful. I must attempt this.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Hindu pushups = so good for my aching back! Love them!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Hindu pushups are HARD. I can only do a couple in a row.

I definitely agree that one does NOT need to spend a lot of money to exercise. My current plan consists of 15-20 minute circuits in the living room comprised of exercises and modeled after the workouts on http://bodyrock.tv and an hour of walking at a decent clip every week day with a heavy backpack (to campus and back). I haven't spent anything on equipment save about $6 on a jump rope.
  • Claudina
    Claudina Posts: 26 Member
    These are great tips. Some known, others not thought of, great to have 'em all together. Thanks for the post.
  • Raphi
    Raphi Posts: 124 Member
    4 CHILDREN?!?!? AND YOU LOOK LIKE YOU DO?!?! :noway:
    Talk about inspiration :drinker: !!

You look great, and I'm sure you work hard for it; way to go, role model :wink: ! Thanks for the article, feel free to share any tips :flowerforyou:
  • this is great information! everyone can use it
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    4 CHILDREN?!?!? AND YOU LOOK LIKE YOU DO?!?! :noway:
    Talk about inspiration :drinker: !!

You look great, and I'm sure you work hard for it; way to go, role model :wink: ! Thanks for the article, feel free to share any tips :flowerforyou:

Thank you..but I have 6 children :blushing:
    www.power-fitness.info
    check out that website, they show 4 different views of the exercises and in slow motion..pretty great..hindu pushups are murder!! lol I feel like a monkey doing the hindu squats, but they tightened up my fanny pretty darn good!
  • Raphi
    Raphi Posts: 124 Member
    Ok, Imagimrat: you DEFINITELY erased the belief in my mind that we are permanently altered by childbirth... I think I'll print your picture and post it on my bathroom mirror to remind me of that :laugh:
    I know that it doesn't come for free, and that you very well deserve every ripple of your 6 pack, but still, it proves to me that I can get a great body after giving birth to my 2 kids... I will get there :flowerforyou:
    Don't get me wrong: I do NOT regret giving birth to my kids and the physical changes I've gone through to have them... But If I can get back to my old self or even better, why not?!
This discussion has been closed.