Aerobics best for fat loss

Options

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    What is not mentioned in the study is that long term development of the aerobic system, when developed correctly, leads to the body relying on a higher percentage of fat to meets energy needs at all activity levels throughout the day.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    bcattoes, you've been here a long time. i'm kind of surprised you would buy in to stuff like this.

I've actually always believed aerobics is best for fat loss, despite what the bodybuilders might claim. Strength training is important for, well, strength. But in my many years of experience, nothing beats cardio for fat loss.

What do you find wrong with the study or the results?

well i didn't read the study; only skimmed the web article you posted. for one thing, it does not even contain the word calorie.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    bcattoes, you've been here a long time. i'm kind of surprised you would buy in to stuff like this.

I've actually always believed aerobics is best for fat loss, despite what the bodybuilders might claim. Strength training is important for, well, strength. But in my many years of experience, nothing beats cardio for fat loss.

What do you find wrong with the study or the results?

well i didn't read the study; only skimmed the web article you posted. for one thing, it does not even contain the word calorie.

obviously that means calories are irrelevant to weight loss! we should all just stop counting calories and macros and run on the hamster wheel since the study didn't mention couting right?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Didn't we do this yesterday? hmmm.....

Yes....http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822437-new-study-aerobic-exercise-best-for-fat-loss?hl=aerobics

I'm sure we'll be doing it again tomorrow too.. <sigh>
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Didn't we do this yesterday? hmmm.....

Yes....http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822437-new-study-aerobic-exercise-best-for-fat-loss?hl=aerobics

I'm sure we'll be doing it again tomorrow too.. <sigh>

Would this be MFP if we didn't beat the same several dead horses over and over?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

LOL - Yes, sad but true...
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    again and again and again and again.....
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

And over and over and over.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

And over and over and over.

;D
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of MY own research too. :tongue:

But ultimately what works for me (and most people) is Calories deficit+Strength training+Aerobic exercise. At first I was only doing Aerobics and I stopped losing weight, then I added in strength training, and since then have lost 12 of the entire 22lbs I have lost so far, and then tell me how something is not working, or fat loss did not improve?
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Aerobics burns more calories immediately, resistance training doesn't do this.

Resistance training is meant more to PRESERVE lean body mass and avoid the dreaded skinny fat.

You can achieve all the weight loss benefits aerobic exercise gives by diet alone. The benefits given during weight loss by resistance training cannot be achieved by diet alone.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

Resistance training is meant more to PRESERVE lean body mass and avoid the dreaded skinny fat.

You can achieve all the weight loss benefits aerobic exercise gives by diet alone. The benefits given during weight loss by resistance training cannot be achieved by diet alone.

I have found the opposite. resistance training maintains muscle, while cardio (running) burns calories. If I were to try to acheive all the weight loss benefits aerobic exercise gives by diet alone, I wouldn't be eating much!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

I have found the opposite. resistance training maintains muscle, while cardio (running) burns calories. If I were to try to acheive all the weight loss benefits aerobic exercise gives by diet alone, I wouldn't be eating much!

You just repeated what I said in your own words but claim the opposite... maybe you didn't read what I wrote correctly.

Fat loss is about calories in versus calories out. Aerobic exercise increases the calories out. Diet decreases the calories in. Any combination of the two can work, even using one and not the other.

Resistance training aids in keeping lean body mass by encouraging energy use from fat cells as opposed to proteins.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    oh this again. I c&p my reply from the last one.

What I think of this study is the same thing I think about the rest of them. Utter garbage and anyone taking this conclusion seriously is a blathering idiot.

Why you ask? Because the resistance training group for these sorts of studies are ALL the same. Bunch of scientists who have jack ****ing clue about what resistance training is, and makes the study participants do a full body machine circuit for the length of the study. I would be very surprised if anyone here regularly did compound movements or had ANY sort of periodized training template. So no ****ing **** that the cardio group had improved results vs a resistance training group that only did resistance training for prob the first month before they adapted and no longer attempted to overload muscles thereafter.

Hell, even the abstract contradicts itself. The cardio and combined group lost the same fat and weight. But the combined group kept more weight than the cardio group.......... so which is it...

edit: found some facts from more searching

1) Yup, I called it. they had a 8 machine circuit they did for 3 sets of 8-12 reps. This study is about as useless as tits on a boar if thats the resistance training they did.

2) The total weight lost for the study was 3.6lbs vs 3.8lbs over 8 months for combined vs cardio!!!!!!!! seriously? there were obviously some huge ****ing diet flaws if they were only able to get 2 weeks worth of results over 8 ****ing months...

3) They CONSTANTLY contradict themselves in their interpretation of the results. They keep saying things like the resistance group gained lean mass, but weight and fat stayed the same. Which doesn't make any sense. Or the above point where combined was contradicted. I don't think they actually understand their own results, or are very poor communicators of it...

4) The combined group had the the most inches lost. Which pretty much confirms it had the highest fat loss results and overall best results. Yet the abstract says it didn't??? Based on this alone, I'm positive the body fat test was done with callipers and NOT with dxha or hydrostatic. I'm thinking the bodyfat tests should be considered highly suspect for these results. specially when the weight lost numbers are so laughably bad due to uncontrolled diet..

Exercise studies like these just burn me as they are never done properly. Might as well print them on toilet paper as then they would actually have some value to wipe my *kitten* with....
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

What I think of this study is the same thing I think about the rest of them. Utter garbage and anyone taking this conclusion seriously is a blathering idiot.

Why you ask? Because the resistance training group for these sorts of studies are ALL the same. Bunch of scientists who have jack ****ing clue about what resistance training is, and makes the study participants do a full body machine circuit for the length of the study. I would be very surprised if anyone here regularly did compound movements or had ANY sort of periodized training template. So no ****ing **** that the cardio group had improved results vs a resistance training group that only did resistance training for prob the first month before they adapted and no longer attempted to overload muscles thereafter.

Hell, even the abstract contradicts itself. The cardio and combined group lost the same fat and weight. But the combined group kept more weight than the cardio group.......... so which is it...

1) Yup, I called it. they had a 8 machine circuit they did for 3 sets of 8-12 reps. This study is about as useless as tits on a boar if thats the resistance training they did.

2) The total weight lost for the study was 3.6lbs vs 3.8lbs over 8 months for combined vs cardio!!!!!!!! seriously? there were obviously some huge ****ing diet flaws if they were only able to get 2 weeks worth of results over 8 ****ing months...

3) They CONSTANTLY contradict themselves in their interpretation of the results. They keep saying things like the resistance group gained lean mass, but weight and fat stayed the same. Which doesn't make any sense. Or the above point where combined was contradicted. I don't think they actually understand their own results, or are very poor communicators of it...

4) The combined group had the the most inches lost. Which pretty much confirms it had the highest fat loss results and overall best results. Yet the abstract says it didn't??? Based on this alone, I'm positive the body fat test was done with callipers and NOT with dxha or hydrostatic. I'm thinking the bodyfat tests should be considered highly suspect for these results. specially when the weight lost numbers are so laughably bad due to uncontrolled diet..

Exercise studies like these just burn me as they are never done properly. Might as well print them on toilet paper as then they would actually have some value to wipe my *kitten* with....

Awaiting the illuminating results from your impeccably crafted, peer-reviewed study any day now...........
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Awaiting the illuminating results from your impeccably crafted, peer-reviewed study any day now...........
    Serious? I didn't know pointing out obvious flaws in a study required proof of one done right as a follow up.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

LOL - Yes, sad but true...

Only the folks that beat the horse once and choose to beat it again are doing it over and over. Those that missed it the first, second , etc. time might appreciate it. It is, after all, your choice which posts to read and respond to. If it makes you sad, why do you do it?
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Does anyone actually think lifting burns fat?

Lifting burns cals. Where those cals come from is based on a variety of things. Same goes with cardio... burns cals, not fat or muscle or whatever else. But more to the point of this "study"... a caloric deficit reduces body weight. Lifting (along with sufficient protein intake) helps reduce muscle loss.

weight loss + muscle retention = fat loss.

This is exactly whats working for me. I can NOT stress enough - that fat loss comes from proper nutrition- especially the older we get. You can zumba day and night- but if you eat crap- it just wont work. So I run, zumba and walk- I also lift heavy 2x a week and I have dipped below my goal weight- making me reassess my goals. Apparently my body loves what Im doing and is responding well.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

So, you think they were lying about how they measured fat and/or the results of the fat measurement? I think that's very unlikely. Whether you personally prefer free weights or lifting heavier than what was used in the study, does not mean that weight machines don't provide resistance (but surely you knew that). Stop trying to read more into one study that is there. They outlined their parameters, they published their results and their interpretations of that results. That's pretty much as far as any single study goes.