Weight Watchers..paying for it, help you stick with it?

Options
I have SERIOUS motivation issues. I know lots of folks here don't like or don't advocate weight watchers, but..I would like to hear from anyone that has done WW.
Did paying the money every month help motivate you to stay on track?
Thanks

Replies

• Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    NObody???????????
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    this is anecdotal but every person i have met personally that did weight watchers never seemed to lose any real weight.

find some supportive people on here and have them help you set up a plan and track your calories.

good luck!
  • AliciaCharmaine
    Options
    I have done WW a few times in the past. I honestly had more success with MFP than I did WW. I think it is important to find some friends on here with similar goals and reward yourself as you meet milestones.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. I was a WW member for like 8 years. I find MFP to be much simpler, and I like it a lot better. I think WW can be frustrating because it focuses too much on the scale, sometimes you are losing fat and it doesn't always reflect that on the scale. WW also does not help you learn about macros, which I believe are important. The points that I was allotted were also WAY to low in calories. I would still be starving on 1000 calories a day if I was continuing that route. Using MFP properly teaches lifestyle, not "dieting".
  • lyndabyh
    lyndabyh Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I think both the paying for it and the check in helped. I lost 38 pounds on WW . I got to maintenance level and didn't feel like paying anymore ( you have to stay on it for 6 weeks then become a life time member) I decided I could just follow the plan on my own but without the check in I lost motivation. I don't think it was the money that kept me on track it was knowing someone else would see how much I had or hadn't lost. Why don't you try that instead? Have someone you have to "weigh In" with once a week or once a month what ever works. Personally I find MFP to be working as well or better than WW. especilaly since MFP I can account for exercise and see how I trend with that and weight etc. Good luck whatever you choose to do
  • kgeldreich
    Options
    I lost weight with weight watchers before when I was heavier. I wasn't a big fan of the changes they made (fruit =0 pints+=zero weight loss for me). Also the database is way better here. Paying for it didn't make me stay with it any better. The "friends" features/activity, and more active message boards on MFP help me stay more motivated then paying for it did for WW.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    My mom does weight watchers and has lost over 40lbs. That being said, she's lost some of her motivation and hasn't really been keeping up with it as much.

So, no matter what program you do, you still have to find the motivation to stick with it. When you decide that it's a priority, it'll become a priority.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I lost a good deal of weight with WW. I bounced though, once I realized they care not about improving one's health or fitness, but just losing weight.

Paying for it did NOT motivate me to stick to it. My desire to no longer be fat and lazy did, though.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I did it just online. They took my money and never even sent me one email of encouragement. I did go to Slimming World classes in past too and did get support and encouragement during the class but one hour a week is useless. Here on MFP get some good friends around you and you have 24/7 support and encouragement for FREE

But ultimately is is down to ourselves to want to succeed
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. I was a WW member for like 8 years. I find MFP to be much simpler, and I like it a lot better. I think WW can be frustrating because it focuses too much on the scale, sometimes you are losing fat and it doesn't always reflect that on the scale. WW also does not help you learn about macros, which I believe are important. The points that I was allotted were also WAY to low in calories. I would still be starving on 1000 calories a day if I was continuing that route. Using MFP properly teaches lifestyle, not "dieting".

I totally agree with you!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You can pay me a nominal fee every month, and I will get on your case if you aren't working out and feeding to my satisfaction!

edit: typo fix
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I have SERIOUS motivation issues. I know lots of folks here don't like or don't advocate weight watchers, but..I would like to hear from anyone that has done WW.
    Did paying the money every month help motivate you to stay on track?
    Thanks

If you aren't motivated now you won't be motivated even when paying someone to track your food.

I have done WW and you still need to have your own motivation. If you don't, you won't stick with it.

If you lack motivation it might be best to take a break and not try to lose weight until you do have the motvation you need. No one can motivate you but you.
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You can pay me a nominal fee every month, and I will get on your case if you are working out and feeding to my satisfaction!

Is it sad I am considering this?
  • EmiliaOttowicz
    Options
    I paid for WW for about 2 years, went only the first 6 mo or so. I lost 15 pounds, and then gained it all back by being slack about tracking.
    I didn't like the shift to Points Plus either, and I didn't like any of the "leaders" whose meetings I attended: so middle-aged, middle-class judgmental. I have done MFP for only a week, and I find that it promotes a LOT less protein (which I like: living lighter on the planet) and more complex carbs. I think WW is easier in terms of points tracking, but I feel I am more accountable for EVERYTHING I eat and ALL the exercise I do on MFP.
    I had tons of excuses for contining w WW even though I wasn't attending, so for me the issue of $10 a week wasn't really a factor in motivating me. They really focus on food and less on exercise and I am interested in being more fit through working out.
  • lem_orc29
    lem_orc29 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I do think it depends on the person, but for me, motivation is motivation. When it's taken out of your checking account every month without you having to do much actual work, it's really easy to let that motivating factor slip. I tried weight watchers twice and it didn't work for me...not because of the motivation issue, but because of the points thing. My brain just doesn't like having to calculate points. I want to know how many calories I'm consuming and let that be that. I have known several people that have had success on WW, including my BFF who lost 45lbs in about 6 months using it. I think if you're interested, it never hurts to try something out, but trying it just because you think you'll be motivated to use it b/c you're paying for it is probably a recipe for failure.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have not personally done WW but I feel like it's your mindset. I also think it's probably a lot easier to figure out what you're eating in a new environment, since by counting calories you soon come to realize how much is a serving size/how many calories it may have. WW you HAVE to rely on the points system and you have to pay as well.

Save your money for a gym membership, or some new clothes once you've lost the weight. That will help you keep off the weight for good. Feel free to add if you need support.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I do WW. I am on MFP because the forums, my friends list and well honestly I track food in both places.... since joining WW I have lost 14ish pounds.

Does paying for it motivate me? Nope not in the least. I continue doing what I am doing because of that little black dress hanging in the back of my closet calling my name.

I think you just need to find something that will motivate you and keep you going, there are times where I do not want to, and that I would LOVE to just quit but I keep plugging away even if its just half assed. eventually I get rejuvenated

I don't do the meetings though and I think that is a big thing for me. I never found a leader I actually liked well enough to do it. The new 360 system is great. I know a lot of people don't like the points because "It doesn't teach you the value of nutrition" but to be quite honest if you gave me 100 calories of cookie or 100 calories of an apple I would take the cookie... but on the points the apple is 0 points, and that cookie is more like 2 - 4, and I do NOT want to lose the points to one friggen cookie so I always go for the apple.

I started tracking on here too because I like knowing exactly how many calories I am eating (its an anal retentive thing) but really the motivation starts with you.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who have done really well on WW...but they went to the meetings. I never lost anything because no one could really explain the weekly points to me. Eat them or don't wasn't the information I was looking for. In fact, I gained inches when I was working out and going to WW meetings. If it is working for you, I would stick with it, but I think it is the meetings not the points that help people.

Also, I felt like I wasn't big enough to see a hugh difference with their system. Everyone who has lost a ton at my meetings was either post-partum or making MAJOR lifestyle choices. Not that I don't have a good amount to loose, but I already know how to eat. I was just looking for a tracking system. Also, I don't feel like the points system really teaches you about nutrition.
  • Tymeshia
    Tymeshia Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have done WW at least 10 times and I have lost more weight on my own or by this site. Get some friends on the site and stay true to yourself. Log all your food and exercises
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the insight. I guess until I can find my motivation again, nothing, including paying for it will really help. Thank you all! :)