How are you surviving holiday treats and goodies?

Unfortunately for me, I work in family programing for a large church and let me tell you, us Methodist LOVE to eat! I've gotten pretzels, candies, bagels (provided to the entire staff by a loving lay member), Chex Mix of every variety, homemade fudge, chocolate covered nut thing-a-ma-jigies, and as of today, a tin filled with cake balls! Cake balls people!!!!! Not too mention our staff holiday party this past Monday where I nearly killed myself eating buffalo chicken casserole dip....OH...MY....LAWD why is this the first time I've ever tried this dip? So freakin' fantastic! And there is more left to come!

I've decided to try a little of this and a little of that...in moderation. I am starting to making a little headway with my fitness plans after taking a long "hiatus" and I don't want to derail my plans. So far, I've made sure to get my 60 minutes of physical activity in every day, and save a little room for treats. I hope this works because I cannot promise that I will stay away from buffalo chicken casserole dip....EVER!!!!!!

How are you "coping"?

Replies

• SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Oh yes, I know what you mean regarding church and food. It can be very tough to stick with healthy eating with so much yummy stuff around. As for how we are coping, our family is going sugar free for the month of December due to health issues. Our young daughter has been quite ill for the past couple of months and is finally getting better on this new eating plan. That has provided lots of motivation to stick to the plan.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    one calorie at a time
  • tooliebell
    tooliebell Posts: 177 Member
    I wouldn't steer clear of it, but eat it in moderation. I allow myself a treat here and there, log it and make sure I stay within my limits. If I feel the need to over indulge then I make it up in exercise. That way you don't feel cheated and you know what it will take to burn it off. Sometimes just knowing how long on the elliptical, will make me think twice about that cookie!
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    I'm not. Or at least sometimes it feels like I'm not. I've been over my limit two or three times this week already with holiday parties and just the general amount of junk in the house - I'm at my inlaws for the next 3 weeks so I can't control what's lying on the counter, like that bowl of caramel corn. :( I've been exercising regularly which is something, but I seem to have no self-control when it comes to sugar. What I'd really like for Christmas is some freaking willpower!!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    On days that I want to eat or drink more, I workout more. Burn more calories = eat more food! yaaaay I love food!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,173 Member
    Determination and moderation. I am not depriving myself, but I am not going overboard with it, either. Its doable if you stay in control. :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    BY EATING THEM
  • I work out more and try to fit treats and rich meals into my daily calories. I eat my workout calories back (hate this term!) so I consider myself in maintenance mode until holidays are over.
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    I'm not... Just working out as much as possible to counter the bad eating.....
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I was doing well until today. They've sent our office so much food... *curls up and sleeps*
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    I write down or enter in MFP everything I put in my mouth right away so I do not forget....that encourages me not to eat more than I expected to. Some days it works, some days it does not. :happy: On those days or the next day I try to exercise more!!
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    I'm going with it. It's one week of the year.
    I'll do things in moderation, mostly. I'll drink too much and eat too many mince pies. I'll dig into the cheese platter and I'll definitely be given chocolates as a gift, so will munch those as well.
    By January, I'll be feeling like I really want to get back on track and stop eating so much. I'll actually feel ready to do it and happy that I enjoyed Christmas.
  • KristySnow0729
    KristySnow0729 Posts: 8 Member
    I try eating a meal before going to any holiday party so that I'm not hungry. I then grab a plate of only one sample of a couple tasties that fit in my calories. I also make sure to exercise that day as well. I was actually able to go to my work party which has tons of yummy foods and was so full from my healthy lunch that I really wasn't disappointed to only have a couple scallops wrapped in bacon versus the 10 I would have had years prior. Good luck!!
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Buffalo chicken dip.... where has that been in my life?!

My place of work doesn't really have holiday parties etc. So I don't have to worry about that luckily. But I still bake cookies and stuff. I end up sneaking a few by the end of the night, but the next day they're going around at work and off my mind.

Holidays happen. Just get back in the swing as best you can :) Or, pass the goodies off to someone else. Some people have no objections to more goodies! haha. Another thing, if you have any more parties, try to eat a decent sized healthy meal before you go so you're not sucked into more of this amazing chicken dip you mentioned and I will have too google later.
  • Victoria, first of all I want to state that I can relate in every way. I have to admit that I didn't read your entire post because just reading all the foods and goodies was enough for me. LOL I have done very well so far as to not indulge in anything because I have been battling the flu. I just could not eat certain rich foods and desserts without feeling horrible. Now that I am on the mend and will be traveling back home with my hubby to visit family and friends, I realize that I am going to be surrounded by food glorious food. I know what it's like to be in church and the all the repasts and potlucks and with family there is also a great abundance of food. I just plan to take each hour of the day and one day at a time. I also plan to prepare some natural healthy snacks like crudite and fruit trays. Most of all just focus on the time spent with my family and loved ones and what the holidays truly mean to me. It doesn't have to be all about the food. I wish you well and blessings to you!:happy:

I just finished reading the remainder of your post and looks like you have a plan so I believe that you will be just fine.
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    I work out more and try to fit treats and rich meals into my daily calories. I eat my workout calories back (hate this term!) so I consider myself in maintenance mode until holidays are over.

This is me... I limit my treats... and exercise more... so far so good!!!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    I'm taking some survival classes and self defense classes. That way I can live off grubs and bark and I can also fight off anyone who wants to give me cake or turkey or pie or anything festive or yummy. I've also retained a grief councilor just incase I give in and eat some food and I can't deal with the guilt.

OR...

I'm going to realize that one or two or even three days of food and fun with my family isn't going to sabotage or ruin anything and that a couple of days of not logging food or watching my "diet" isn't going to ruin all the hard work I put in for the last 5-6 months. Nor is it going to derail any of the work I plan on continuing to do. Also, I can realize that there are going to be a lot of outings with family and friends where my "diet" just isn't going to fit into the festivities and being sociable and enjoying myself is part of being a person with friends and family.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    By saying, 'No, thanks"
  • LOL - it's pretty amazing! I had to catch myself. I could eat an entire dish of the stuff!
  • Victoria, first of all I want to state that I can relate in every way. I have to admit that I didn't read your entire post because just reading all the foods and goodies was enough for me. LOL I have done very well so far as to not indulge in anything because I have been battling the flu. I just could not eat certain rich foods and desserts without feeling horrible. Now that I am on the mend and will be traveling back home with my hubby to visit family and friends, I realize that I am going to be surrounded by food glorious food. I know what it's like to be in church and the all the repasts and potlucks and with family there is also a great abundance of food. I just plan to take each hour of the day and one day at a time. I also plan to prepare some natural healthy snacks like crudite and fruit trays. Most of all just focus on the time spent with my family and loved ones and what the holidays truly mean to me. It doesn't have to be all about the food. I wish you well and blessings to you!:happy:

I just finished reading the remainder of your post and looks like you have a plan so I believe that you will be just fine.

I sure hope so! My NSV goal is to finish December without going overboard...which I am prone to do!