You may have The SILENT Killer with NO symptoms right now

Options
A friend of mine just died recently and unexpectedly. He was young, only 48 years old. He died without warning. He died on his couch. He left behind his young wife and 2 young girls. It put me in mind that many folks don't realize there are health conditions which can kill them without notice or symptoms... and, there are things you can be doing now to make sure that doesn't happen.

High Blood Pressure is known specifically as "The Silent Killer". Do you know why?

Per the National Acadamy of Sports Medicine, "Blood pressure is known as the silent killer because it is asymptomatic. Most individuals do not feel sick when their blood pressure is elevated. Often high blood pressure goes untreated until another medical condition arises or the individual goes in for a routine check-up."

As stated by Dr. Ozgen Dogan, "Some people aren't aware that they have high blood pressure because there really are no symptoms. That's why it's called the silent killer. For example, despite what many people believe, headache is not a sign of high blood pressure. That's why it's very important to have an annual checkup even if you don't have any complaints."

Per the CDC, "About 1 in 3 U.S. adults—as estimated 68 million—have high blood pressure1, which increases the risk for heart disease and stroke, leading causes of death in the United States.2

High blood pressure is called the "silent killer" because it often has no warning signs or symptoms, and many people don't realize they have it. That's why it's important to get your blood pressure checked regularly.

The good news is that you can take steps to prevent high blood pressure, or to treat it if it is already high."

So, just because you "feel fine" and you "work out" and such... does NOT mean you do not have any medical conditions and you don't need to worry about what you eat or what your macros are. There is a reason that sodium is suggested to be no higher than 2500. For folks with HBP, it must be 2,000 or below. Sodium elevates blood pressure. So do other things, like caffeine.

Since I did just lose my friend and colleague, and since "silent killers" are now on my mind... I wanted to post this warning thread and encourage all of you to check things like blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol, etc. What you don't know CAN HURT YOU!!

Have you checked your blood pressure? If not, you should. It's free and easy to check. If you don't own a blood pressure monitor, go to a store and use theirs or stop in and ask a Walgreens pharmacist (they'll do it for free too). Not saying everyone run screaming from salt and caffeine, etc. I'm saying KNOW YOUR RISKS, for real. Don't assume. If you don't know how your BP is running. CHECK IT OUT! Then decide whether or not you have a health problem that means you need to avoid certain foods etc. Again, MOST people with HBP have NO symptoms and NO CLUE it is high. Just sayin'.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled fitness programming.

Replies

• 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss and thanks for the info
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It's interesting you posted this. I just lost a friend, mid 20-something, so young...and it seemed sudden too. You make many good points here, I hope others take notice :)

My sympathies also xox
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My husband has hypertension so we have a BP monitor at home. I check mine more than he does I think.

Did you know that it's good to check it in both arms? Even if both readings are good, a difference of more than 20 for systolic pressure (top number) or more than 10 for diastolic pressure (bottom number) may be a sign of an underlying problem. A difference of 10 to 15 systolic pressure that shows up repeatedly is a risk marker for vascular disease and for a greater risk of developing cardiovascular disease and related complications during the next 10 years.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Most drug stores here in Canada have machines where you can do your own blood pressure check for free. I think they're a great idea. Thanks for posting, and so sorry for the loss of your friend. :flowerforyou:
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I check mine regularly. I have a monitor at home. I took it the other day and it was 102/68. Earlier that day I had it checked at the doctor and it was 130/80. They were concerned. Now I am not sure if my machine at home is accurate or if it was some anxiety at the clinic. I know I had high blood pressure when I was heavier but was never put on meds for it.
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Mine usually runs 117/81 give or take. I'm worried about my husband though. I should probably get a monitor of my own. When I was working at a clinic, nobody knew what those numbers meant and what the normal range is... people should pay attention to that sort of stuff, it could really save them in the long run. Sorry about your friend :(
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I check mine regularly. I have a monitor at home. I took it the other day and it was 102/68. Earlier that day I had it checked at the doctor and it was 130/80. They were concerned. Now I am not sure if my machine at home is accurate or if it was some anxiety at the clinic. I know I had high blood pressure when I was heavier but was never put on meds for it.

It's probably just stress from being at the doctor. A lot of people get that. There is even a clinical term for it - "White coat syndrome"
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    My husband has hypertension so we have a BP monitor at home. I check mine more than he does I think.

Did you know that it's good to check it in both arms? Even if both readings are good, a difference of more than 20 for systolic pressure (top number) or more than 10 for diastolic pressure (bottom number) may be a sign of an underlying problem. A difference of 10 to 15 systolic pressure that shows up repeatedly is a risk marker for vascular disease and for a greater risk of developing cardiovascular disease and related complications during the next 10 years.

^ ^ VERY true! Everyone please note!
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. Getting yearly physicals is extremely important - but so many people have crappy health insurance, or no health insurance at all.. so they don't go for check ups.

Go to your local pharmacy & get a reading every now and again :)
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I'm young, and I absolutely felt when my blood pressure was 160/100 for a few weeks. I got put on meds, I got emberassed...and i got reinvigorated to get healthy.

I'm here now as part of my effort to stay healthy (well, entertained now mostly). Took me 5 months of dieting and exercise to kick meds and now my BP is 125/60 on average and my cholesterol is 109.

Yes, though to agree with the OP, take your BP seriously.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Not me! I check mine regularly. Mine is always on the low side, and I joke about having low blood pressure.
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options

mine was anywhere from 140/80 to 150s/80s at the doctor. I bought a relatively expensive one at CVS to keep an eye on it. It was anywhere from 112/60 to 120s/70s at home. I took mine in, me and the nurse checked both arms a few times and mine was within a couple points (still high, 150s/80s while there) so i felt confident that it was accurate. I checked it pretty frequently at home and it was usually fine. there was a couple times it was high but 80-90% of the time it was 120s/70s. Wouldn't hurt to take it in and check it. Could be white coat or several other things.. you drank alot of water or had just ate etc..1st reading is always high. check it seated, relaxed and check it ~3x and take the lowest. NEVER check it when you know you are stressed. Now i know i have white coat i can tell before i get to the doctor i get all worked up....and I sent myself to a cardiologist and had the works...all normal. Still no clue why i get that way at he doctor...
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I get white coat syndrome...mine will absolutely be 20 points higher at the Dr. office than it will done by my mom or sister manually (both are RN's).
  • pankdrogger
    pankdrogger Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. :(

My parents are both on high blood pressure medication, and my eldest brother is only 35 but I believe he's on medication as well. Whenever I'm in a pharmacy or a store with a pharmacy with a friend, I'll stop and get mine tested just for kicks. It's an even better kick if I'm in the average range or lower.
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My sympathy on the loss of your friend. Sharing this information in the hopes to help save others is such a great way to honor their memory. ((hug))
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I'm young, and I absolutely felt when my blood pressure was 160/100 for a few weeks. I got put on meds, I got emberassed...and i got reinvigorated to get healthy.

I'm here now as part of my effort to stay healthy (well, entertained now mostly). Took me 5 months of dieting and exercise to kick meds and now my BP is 125/60 on average and my cholesterol is 109.

Yes, though to agree with the OP, take your BP seriously.

^ ^ This is also important... and part of the point I wanted to make. You can often FIX or lessen the problem IF you know it's there. It can be addressed by food, exercise, and/or meds. But, first you have to be AWARE of the problem.