What is your opinion...

Options
If you work in customer service, well anywhere for that fact and you encounter a drunk person. I am sure my job would tell me to mind my own buisness and do my job. However it makes me sick to watch them walk away and get in a car, i think what if they kill someone am i responsible because i knew? Would you call the cops? Mind your own buisness? Just wondered what your thoughts are on this subject.

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I would reevaluate my career choice if I was regularly involved in that situation and was not a Dr. (medical).
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Call the cops with a description of the car, plates, and direction he was headed in
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Call the cops with a description of the car, plates, and direction he was headed in
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Not job related - but I've seen obviously intoxicated people weaving on the roads a few times. I got the plate and description and I called 911 to report it.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

Did this once, I was about 15, working at McDonalds and the guy had a beer in his lap at the drive through. I had more sense at 16 than many people ever get.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Well, if your a bartender, youre definetly in the wrong profession...
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options

This. I have driven behind a drunk person and called the cops. Drove behind them and watched them almost hit several inanimate objects. I continued to drive behind them until the cop that 911 dispatched got there.
  • MED2012COLORADO
    Options
    Not job related - but I've seen obviously intoxicated people weaving on the roads a few times. I got the plate and description and I called 911 to report it.
    I have done this also. - not job related.
  • grawrrrr
    grawrrrr Posts: 336
    Options
    Can't do anything, really. If they try to buy more alcohol, you CAN deny them.

That's the law here. ;)
  • grawrrrr
    grawrrrr Posts: 336
    Options
    I would reevaluate my career choice if I was regularly involved in that situation and was not a Dr. (medical).

That's incredibly rude and condescending.

Please reevaluate the way you address people's chosen field of work.
  • MED2012COLORADO
    Options
    Not a bartender. But i am sure many gas stations have seen drunk people stop in for cigs or something then watch them stumble out. As an everyday citizen i would call the cops in a heartbeat if i was standing in line behind the guy. Question: would you be willing to loose your job over this. if your boss said to mind your own buisness?
  • MED2012COLORADO
    Options
    Not a bartender. But i am sure many gas stations have seen drunk people stop in for cigs or something then watch them stumble out. As an everyday citizen i would call the cops in a heartbeat if i was standing in line behind the guy. Question: would you be willing to loose your job over this. if your boss said to mind your own buisness?
    I believe if people answered honestly then they would have to say they would not be willing to loose there job.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

Did this once, I was about 15, working at McDonalds and the guy had a beer in his lap at the drive through. I had more sense at 16 than many people ever get.

Was the person drunk?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If you work in customer service, well anywhere for that fact and you encounter a drunk person. I am sure my job would tell me to mind my own buisness and do my job. However it makes me sick to watch them walk away and get in a car, i think what if they kill someone am i responsible because i knew? Would you call the cops? Mind your own buisness? Just wondered what your thoughts are on this subject.

If you don't want your boss to know, go to the restroom and call on your cell if you are at risk of losing your job.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options

Was the person drunk?

Shouldn't matter. There are open container laws in all 50 states. Even in TX, there can be an open container, BUT it can't be the driver's.

JM
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Is it a big busted drunk hot girl or an old drunken man?

I might give them a ride home or I might call the cops. Depends on the vairiables.
  • mikeswife04
    mikeswife04 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I sell Insurance and I had a customer come in and make a payment MANY years ago... He was drunk, and "lost" his money. He went to his car to try and find it. After about 5 minutes I went out to see where he was and he was on the ground crawling on the sidewalk, looking for money. His wife/friend/whatever she was, was screaming at him to get in the car. She came in and made the payment then I walked her back outside. The drunk man was sitting in the drivers seat. They argued about him driving and I politely said that I was going to call the police if he tried to drive. I got called many names by this man.

My old boss was not happy with me but I could not with a clear conscience let this dude drive his passenger around from MY OFFICE drunk as he was. I still feel like I did the right thing.
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options

^^^this
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Call the police. It's one thing to wait on the person in the store. He or she may be acting like an idiot, but whatever. As soon as that person is endangering lives, you need to act. That has nothing to do with your job.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I sell Insurance and I had a customer come in and make a payment MANY years ago... He was drunk, and "lost" his money. He went to his car to try and find it. After about 5 minutes I went out to see where he was and he was on the ground crawling on the sidewalk, looking for money. His wife/friend/whatever she was, was screaming at him to get in the car. She came in and made the payment then I walked her back outside. The drunk man was sitting in the drivers seat. They argued about him driving and I politely said that I was going to call the police if he tried to drive. I got called many names by this man.

My old boss was not happy with me but I could not with a clear conscience let this dude drive his passenger around from MY OFFICE drunk as he was. I still feel like I did the right thing.

You did. And thank you.