New Year Detox?

Options
In the New Year, fairly early on, I want to do a detox as I plan on changing up my eating habits. I know I could change them now, but being so close to Christmas, with Christmas Dinner, Anniversary Dinner, New Years Eve Dinner and a New Years Day Lunch I know it would be close to futile.

After all of this, although I will eat moderately, I want to detox in order to give myself a nice, 'fresh' start at eating cleaner.

Is there anything anyone would recommended to do this? I only mean a few days 2-3 at max, in order to just flush everything out and get myself more focused. Nothing drastic.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Is there anything anyone would recommended to do this?

No
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Don't drink as much as you did on New Year's.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Your liver will detox on its own.
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Just stick to your guns and eat attempt to eat reasonably well during that period. I personally have switched to maintenance for this week and attempt on jumping back on the wagon come tomorrow (hahah, too many treats in my kitchen/ppl right now).

But either way no need for a detox just simple and easy efforts on ur part to eat well within reason. Check out intermittent fasting, great tool to help you meet ur calorie target without feeling like u've deprived urself during the festive season.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Everything about your plan is sound except the detox itself. Just skip the detox and go ahead and eat better after new years.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821828-detoxes-and-cleanses
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just start improving your eating habits? Do your holiday thing and then once you're ready, start eating better. You don't need to go on a special detox diet to do that. Your body already works very well to eliminate waste. It's how you eat most of the time that matters, so if you make positive changes in the new year that you can sustain consistently, that is what's going to have an effect. A detox that lasts a couple of days isn't going to make a difference.
  • mjhocevar
    Options
    Those "detox" formulas arent regulated so I don'\t think they are safe. The best way to detox is just change your habits, eat more fruit and vegetables and lots of water, at least 8 servings a day.

I did that and have lost 20 pounds in the last few weeks!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Eating healthier foods and being in a calorie deficit will *BE* the detox. For realz.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    water is your best detox :)
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    same to all of the above. If you were planning on juicing at all, just add fresh raw vegetable juice in the morning half hour before a protein rich breakfast
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    same to all of the above. If you were planning on juicing at all, just add fresh raw vegetable juice in the morning half hour before a protein rich breakfast

This and add a shot of vodka
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    water is your best detox :)

Yup. If you want to "detox" drink plenty of water and eat very clean. I like to drink hot water with lemon for a little change up...
  • rubixcyoob
    Options
    I tried to edit the original post, and failed.

EDIT: BY DETOX, I DO NOT MEAN STARVE MYSELF, OR DO THE 'MASTER CLEANSE' OR ANYTHING SIMILAR. By detox I simply mean a way of rejuvinating and refreshing my body to clear it out before starting anew. Maybe there is a tea/food etc that helps this along.

I never once said I wouldn't eat. I just wanted to detox myself, get a fresh start and clear myself from all the holiday niceness. The two are not mutually exclusive, as some would believe.

Second, I never said an alcohol detox. I barely drink, and considering I will be the sole carer to my two year old on Christmas Day (I will also be working for a portion of that) and on New Years Eve, I won't drink. I will maybe have some wine with my dinner on Boxing Day ... that's it.

Dear god, some people need to open their eyes and see all possibilities and eventualities.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options

EDIT: BY DETOX, I DO NOT MEAN STARVE MYSELF, OR DO THE 'MASTER CLEANSE' OR ANYTHING SIMILAR. By detox I simply mean a way of rejuvinating and refreshing my body to clear it out before starting anew. Maybe there is a tea/food etc that helps this along.

I never once said I wouldn't eat. I just wanted to detox myself, get a fresh start and clear myself from all the holiday niceness. The two are not mutually exclusive, as some would believe.

Second, I never said an alcohol detox. I barely drink, and considering I will be the sole carer to my two year old on Christmas Day (I will also be working for a portion of that) and on New Years Eve, I won't drink. I will maybe have some wine with my dinner on Boxing Day ... that's it.

Dear god, some people need to open their eyes and see all possibilities and eventualities.

I didn't read any comments about you not eating or quitting alcohol (or even that you would be drinking a lot)... the only thing people have said is that there is no need to detox. Your body is designed to cleanse itself (think liver and kidneys) and does a great job with doing that when you eat healthy, clean foods and drink enough water.

Read the comments.... no one said what you mentioned they said. They just said there is no need to detox. Detoxes can be very dangerous and screw up your body (I have a friend who did a detox and constantly has severe stomach pains to this day). Detoxes are just a money maker for those who make them... there is no evidence that they do anything.
  • rubixcyoob
    Options

I didn't read any comments about you not eating or quitting alcohol (or even that you would be drinking a lot)... the only thing people have said is that there is no need to detox. Your body is designed to cleanse itself (think liver and kidneys) and does a great job with doing that when you eat healthy, clean foods and drink enough water.

Read the comments.... no one said what you mentioned they said. They just said there is no need to detox. Detoxes can be very dangerous and screw up your body (I have a friend who did a detox and constantly has severe stomach pains to this day). Detoxes are just a money maker for those who make them... there is no evidence that they do anything.

Again, I never once mentioned a detox forumla, or plan. Just asked if there was anything I could do to detox - water, tea, fruit, veg etc.

Very different approaches.

Oh and:
    Those "detox" formulas arent regulated so I don'\t think they are safe. The best way to detox is just change your habits, eat more fruit and vegetables and lots of water, at least 8 servings a day.

I did that and have lost 20 pounds in the last few weeks!

^^ assuming I meant a plan of some sort.
    Your liver will detox on its own.

^^ assuming I meant alcohol
    Don't drink as much as you did on New Year's.

^^ again, assuming alcohol.

But no, never came across in any of the posts.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    You are getting overly defensive here OP. The information you are getting very loudly and clearly here is that you DO NOT need to detox!

There is no special food or drink that will help to cleanse your system, the best advice would just be to have a healthy sustainable diet, something you can maintain long term - short-term 'detoxes', whether a pre-packaged product or a specific food or combination of foods are pointless.

If you want to feel 'rejuvinated' after some holiday eating, my best advice would be to increase your fluid (water) intake, get plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, and ditch most of the junk food that is usually left over from the holidays to avoid temptation.

Given that you have had ED issues in the past, you know that obsessing over these things is not healthy for your mindset and relationship with food. Please just focus on being healthy and having a decent sustainable eating plan.

Hope that helps.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Saying your liver detoxes doesn't mean alcohol only... your kidneys and liver cleanse your body. YOU are assuming things based on what people are posting here. There is no need to get defensive when people here have given you answers.

People did give you ideas.... drink water and eat clean, fresh foods. Stay away from processed foods. No need to wait to do that when you can make proper choices at any holiday dinner you attend.

Normally when people say they want to detox they are looking for a plan of some kind. Even if that wasn't your question, people have answered here.

Drink more water, stay away from processed foods, eat fresh foods... detox done. No food, tea, etc will help you detox anything. Your body detoxes itself daily.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to make a New Year "detox" vegetable soup with lots of cabbage. I will eat that for 2-3 days and then be mentally back into the swing of things. Every few months I relax my diet for a week or two and then "cleanse" with the cabbage soup. For me, it helps to break the long term goal into smaller do-able segments. I assume that is what you are asking.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    There is no special food or drink that will help to cleanse your system, the best advice would just be to have a healthy sustainable diet, something you can maintain long term - short-term 'detoxes', whether a pre-packaged product or a specific food or combination of foods are pointless.

That about says it all.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    The OP is asking for diet reset suggestions after the indulgent holiday eating routine. She is not asking for miracle cleanses or gimmicks. There is nothing wrong with eating something lighter for a day or two to mentally reset on the diet plan.