Knee osteoarthritis and running (surfing, hiking, etc)

Options
Hello!
So following my MRI, it seems that this injury has left me with osteoarthritis in my right knee (Dr says I can thank my 11km hike out on the traumatized knee for that one :S ). I would like to hear if anyone runs with knee OA, and what else you do? I am seeing a physiotherapist and I will of course talk to her about it, but I would really like to hear from someone's experience if possible. Do you wear a brace? Anyone with OA surf? And do you wear a brace then? Can you pop up and ride normally? Anyone go on long hiking trips? I have never had any joint problems before. Thankfully I am losing weight which will be helpful, and hopefully I will not need a knee replacement later in life. Anyway, would love to hear some experiences of being active with OA. Thanks!

Replies

• Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    No runners or other active people have OA here?
  • robynann1955
    Options
    I have OA but in the hips not the knee - I do have a knee injury from a car accident 12 years ago so will probably end up with OA in it too. I have been told not to run. I do some circuit stuff - weights, fitball, resistance band and for cardio I walk
  • Play_outside
    Options
    Sorry to hear :( Are you not supposed to run because of that injury or because of your hip OA?
    I have OA but in the hips not the knee - I do have a knee injury from a car accident 12 years ago so will probably end up with OA in it too. I have been told not to run. I do some circuit stuff - weights, fitball, resistance band and for cardio I walk
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I have OA on my left knee from an injury about 10 years ago. To help me do other activities (like running, hiking) I have to crosstrain, building up strength in the muscles surrounding it. The stationary bike and squats have helped immensely. If I skip using my stationary bike (it's sooo boring), I start to feel it in my other activities.

Before I started running a few months ago, I cleared it with my primary care doctor. She told me to interval train (like C25K) so that my muscles and joints have time to adjust. Also, she told me to ice it after my runs to decrease inflammation. I was told to stay off of uneven trails until I worked up to it, downhill could be tricky with my knee. It worked and I rarely have an issue. If it's giving me trouble, I lay off the running and use the elliptical on those days.

Over the summer I gradually worked up my hiking distances until I could do 13 miles with no pain. Like the running, it took time, but slow and steady won through and I have no knee pain when I hike.
  • Play_outside
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, Otterluv! :)
    My physiotherapist today told me that once the acute injury has fully settled and I rebuild my strength and stability I should be fine and so I should stop worrying so much :) So, I will take care of it and hope I don't need a knee replacement later. She said starting to surf again will be tricky and uncomfortable but it will come, and running shouldn't be an issue once I'm ready. Might be a while before I do another hiking trip, since that's what I was doing when I hurt my knee haha!
  • robynann1955
    Options
    cos of the hips
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, Otterluv! :)
    My physiotherapist today told me that once the acute injury has fully settled and I rebuild my strength and stability I should be fine and so I should stop worrying so much :) So, I will take care of it and hope I don't need a knee replacement later. She said starting to surf again will be tricky and uncomfortable but it will come, and running shouldn't be an issue once I'm ready. Might be a while before I do another hiking trip, since that's what I was doing when I hurt my knee haha!

To be honest, the toughest part for me has been working up the courage to get active and run/hike/dance on it. When you have an injury happen like that, it can make you extremely cautious (sometimes overly cautious). Working on strength and balance should help you feel more confident and less apt to re-injure. You may need to adapt some movements (like in dance, etc.) that are twisting motions, but your body will let you know it's a problem. From what your physiotherapist said, it sounds like it's time to have fun and get out there!
  • robynann1955
    Options
    was told by my doctor and physio to avoid anything that jars the joints - hips and knee - and that is why I cannot run. was doing running in cardio but the pain got so bad it would often end in tears - it is not worth it to bring on an earlier hip or knee replacement than I will otherwise need.
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Dont have OA but in general my knees are totally ****ed up. 2nd knee surgery was in Jan and I soooo hope that I will be able to go running again. I tried 2 weeks ago started with 3 x 200 m but it hurt too much. Gonna give it a try sometime soon when I built up more leg muscles. thats the most important for now. leg mussscclessssssssssssss.