gained weight over a weekend?!

karissastephens
karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Is it possible to gain 3 pound over one weekend? because I DID. and Its not just water weight I dont think because I can see it and feel it. I ate and drank on a vacation and now am regreting every moment of it.

How can I lose it fast!?

Any cleanse ideas?

Replies

• are you close to you monthly friend... that will cause that to happen because it will make you retain water.
  • kobrie17
    kobrie17 Posts: 106 Member
    I did this too!! i'm doing the cleanse that was in February's Glamour--basically cut bread, cheese, and anything with preservatives for a week. starches are okay. only cereals with 9 grams of fiber or more. lots of lean meat and healthy fruits and veggies (think broccoli not avocado and apples not bananas). I lost the weight i had gained..like 3-5lbs in 2 days. and now i think im losing more.

when you gain over a weekend, idk what is actually happening- i know what you mean when you say its not water, but its not like a real weight gain--it comes off really easy if you hop back in it and try just a little harder.

try to cut a little more than you would usually for a couple days and you'll be right back on track.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    I would guess (and I can only guess at this) that it may be waste retention of some sort. I would start by drinking lots of water, and upping my fiber. I choose to do a more natural type of "cleanse" where I focus on eating VERY healthy for several days or weeks (No processed foods, as many fresh foods as possible, if not fresh then frozen from fresh, as few chemicals as possible, no other restrictions). I have found this works better for me than all the other "cleanses" I've read about.

Don't let it totally freak you out. Take a deep breath. Restart the plan. Do NOT let this derail you!
  • karissastephens
    thank you! I am freaking out because I have been working sooooo hard before I gave in on vacation this weekend... The only thing is I JUST went grocery shopping and bought sara lee 45 cal. bread and low fat string cheese....should i put the bread in the freezer and hold off on the cheese??
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    I know what you mean. No, you can't *really* gain 3 lb. in 2 days like that. But, if you find that you don't lose it over the next 2-3 days, then you can't really say it's water weight. But if you do lose it, then it probably was. So time will tell.

In my case, I shot up from 115 to 118 and then to 119 and it wasn't water retention. I thought I was eating at a calorie deficit on average, but I wasn't. So now I am and I'm back down to 116.
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Its def happened to me. What I like to do every now and then (even if Im not feeling a little bigger) is to do a raw foods fast for about a week. Its great because you can eat whenever, unlike a lot of the "1/2 a grapefruit breakfast, cup of tuna lunch" etc fasts so you don't feel hungry all the time. You eat raw fruits and vegetables- as much as you want- for a week. Sometimes I do a whole week, sometimes just 3 or 4 days, but for quick undoing of a bad weekend I would recommend the whole week. I learned about it from the book Skinny B!tch and its very healthy. Some people live this way- raw food vegans- and you get lots of vitamins and antioxidants in the process, shed water wait, really get your system moving, and noticeably slim down. Give it a try and don't get discouraged! You have been doing so well logging in.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Karissa, a cleanse? Really? come on lady, you know better than that. You also know that you didn't eat your daily maintenance calories plus 10500 extra calories this weekend (at least I really HOPE you didn't), high sodium food can have this affect, and it can take up to 10 days for it to be purged from your system (medically speaking), so remember to drink your water, do your exercise (these will help with flushing the system), eat lots of good, high fiber food, and stick to your regular calorie deficit, and you'll be right back to where you were in no time.
  • karissastephens
    haha SHBoss your right.. I will try getting back on track but I feel like I should do a cleanse to detox. Not just to lose the weight.
  • SHBoss1673
    haha SHBoss your right.. I will try getting back on track but I feel like I should do a cleanse to detox. Not just to lose the weight.

Make me proud, eat some fiber. You want to cleanse, do this.

Get a whole big giant buttload of vegetibles (look for the ones that are highest in fiber like avocados, tomatoes, green beans, cabbage, peas, ahh what else oh brussel sprouts, edemame) and then for snacks some high fiber fruit like rasberries, pears apples, strawberries (everything with skin that has it), and go crazy, eat as much as you can for about 2 days right up to your calorie limit.
    Not only does this clean you out something fierce, it's good for you, provides you with needed carbohydrates, protein, and fats (especially the avocados, which are awesome for you!). All that fiber will really cleanse the system. And all of this without harsh stuff that will ravage your intestines and kill good bacteria.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    There is nothing healthy about eating nothing but vegetables for an entire week. You can't get enough protein or essential fatty acids that way. And they don't call them *essential* amino acids and fatty acids for nothing...
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Don't panic. I had a really bad pig out day last Friday. The scale actually showed me about 5 pounds higher. After about 3 days of drinking lots of water and exercising and eating normally again, it was gone.
  • SHBoss1673
    edited
This discussion has been closed.