Breakfast & Lunch Ideas

Options

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is an egg, turkey bacon (one slice), and cheese (half a slice) sandwich on a toasted thin sandwich round bread with 1 cup of milk. I stay under 400 cals and I'm good for 5 hours. It also has 5 grams of fiber in it which makes it better than regular bread or an english muffin. I usually alternate this sandwich with oatmeal or miniwheats every other day.
    These sandwich rounds are also good with hot roast beef and cheese for a quick lunch or dinner.
  • dixiegal2484
    dixiegal2484 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    my favorite breakfast is a Thomas 100 cal english muffin with one egg ( i like to fry it in a frying pan with no grease or butter) and 2 slices of butterball turkey bacon. it only has about 220 calories and usually holds me til lunch. hope this help and keep all the good work. friend resqust me if you would like to.

Amber
  • lucijameson
    lucijameson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I usually toast a Thomas 100 cal english muffin & spread 1 tbsp of reduced fat peanut butter on it...high in fiber & last me well into lunch.
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I am really enjoying ReadyBrek in the mornings. I have it with out sugar. Tastes so creamy.

hmm Ive never really heard of this...is it sold at regular supermarkets?

You will have a hard time finding it in America. It's common in England.
    You might get lucky at a Whole Foods or in the Irish section of your supermarket.
    It is delicious and if you are in NY or LA I can tell you where to buy it.
    Another good English one - weetabix - is available in most US supermarkets. It's whole grain & only 120 cals per serving.
  • 25anniversary2011
    25anniversary2011 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I too am on 1200per day and YES they do go fast.

I like 1/2 cinnamon raisin bagel, 1/2 Tbsp fat free cream cheese and 1 sliced strawberry on top of it, with my coffee of course. It comes out to 151 calories.

I take a couple of snacks with me to work incase the hunger comes before lunch and before time to go home. That way I am not tempted to go by a drive thru! :laugh:

For lunch I usually cook an extra serving for dinner the night before and take that with me. Although sometimes I like to get Subway, Schlotsky's, Quiznos, Thundercloud, any local sandwich shop that has nutritional information available.
    I have been trying out a lot of new recipes and have liked most of them. It takes A LOT of planning which takes A LOT of time, but it's worth it. I research recipes online and have actually purchased a few cookbooks too.

Good Luck, WE need it ! :ohwell:
  • emarcia28
    emarcia28 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am really enjoying ReadyBrek in the mornings. I have it with out sugar. Tastes so creamy.

hmm Ive never really heard of this...is it sold at regular supermarkets?

You will have a hard time finding it in America. It's common in England.
    You might get lucky at a Whole Foods or in the Irish section of your supermarket.
    It is delicious and if you are in NY or LA I can tell you where to buy it.
    Another good English one - weetabix - is available in most US supermarkets. It's whole grain & only 120 cals per serving.

Hmmm.. I will definately try whole foods. OOh i live on Long Island in NY. I really want to try it. The chocolate one sounds delicious!:flowerforyou:

Everyone else thanks for the tips!! <3
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    i try to split up my breakfast, i first have 1/2 cup steel cut oatmeal with 1/4 cup blueberries, little skim milk and splenda, about 2 hours later, i have 3 egg whites cooked with some onion, peppers, on top of a josephs flax pita (only 60 cals), hot sauce. i try to eat every 2-3 hours to keep my metabolism going strong. my coworkers often remark, i have never anyone eat so much and stay in such good shape, lol. its what you eat that counts!! if i ate those 100 cal packs i would be eating nonstop, those kind of sugary carbs are so addicting for me, i get so hungry after that, even the bars i try to stay away from because it triggers hunger.
  • emarcia28
    Options
    i try to split up my breakfast, i first have 1/2 cup steel cut oatmeal with 1/4 cup blueberries, little skim milk and splenda, about 2 hours later, i have 3 egg whites cooked with some onion, peppers, on top of a josephs flax pita (only 60 cals), hot sauce. i try to eat every 2-3 hours to keep my metabolism going strong. my coworkers often remark, i have never anyone eat so much and stay in such good shape, lol. its what you eat that counts!! if i ate those 100 cal packs i would be eating nonstop, those kind of sugary carbs are so addicting for me, i get so hungry after that, even the bars i try to stay away from because it triggers hunger.

Oh I see. I'm actually all set for tomorrow! I will be eating just about every 2-3 hours. Hopefully i wont be starving by the time i get home from school at night! :smile:
  • kgrutch
    Options
    you shouldnt be hungry if you are eating often enough. the trouble with eating so frequently is that i have to carry around a HUGE soft sided cooler. the prep work can be tiring (sometimes it takes me 45 mins to pack my food for the following day) but it is worth it.
  • emarcia28
    Options
    you shouldnt be hungry if you are eating often enough. the trouble with eating so frequently is that i have to carry around a HUGE soft sided cooler. the prep work can be tiring (sometimes it takes me 45 mins to pack my food for the following day) but it is worth it.

Very true! For the past 2 days i have been eating every 2.5-3hrs (very small amounts of lean protein, good fats & veggies) and when it comes time to eat again i don't even feel that hungry..:smile: It is working better for me then just eating 3 full meals and a snack, because i would be starving at the end of the night. Now i have enough calories at the end of the night to just drink a one scoop protein shake. Which today i will have after my workout.:heart:
    Prep time is a bit of a pain in the butt i agree lol, but it works out for me because it stops me from constantly searching for food at school and work since i have my snacks & meals packed i have no desire to look elsewhere, for junk!
  • This is what I'm having right now! Chopped salad with 15 grams of protein:

1/2 cup cucumber
    1/2 cup yellow bell pepper
    1/2 cup chickpeas
    3/4 cup cooked shrimp

Mix these with 1-2 tablespoons light sour cream, I add black pepper and celery seeds.
    This whole thing is 200-210 calories (depending on brands you use, etc...)
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Options
    And dont worry about eating more if you work out cuz you only need 1200 to keep your metabolism up. If your workin out, then its even better for your metabolism. Keep up the good work!!

NO! The opposite is true. Yes...working out can help your metabolism. But not eating enough calories will slow down, even HALT, your metabolism. The guideline of "1200" is NET calories, meaning you should eat your exercise calories. Please take the time to read some of these (this topic is ALL over these forums):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • Amarylis
    Options
    I love to have yogurt and sliced apples with a few walnuts, it's so yummie, and you can actually find low or fat free yogurt. for an extra treat, I sprinkle a little shredded coconut.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Breakfast Ideas:
    Oatmeal --> add some rainins or dried cranberries, banana. For seasoning add some honey or syrup, or some cinnamon and or nutmet, maybe a splash of vanilla

Breakfast foods that could serve as lunches
    1/2 cup of plain zero fat yogurt w 1/3 cup of blueberries and 1/3 cup of kellogs bran buds

a protine shake for breakfast - I like 1 tbsp smooth PB w 1/2 banana 1 scoup of protine powder and 1 cup of milk... Delish!

Toast 1 or 2 slices of break 1 serving of light cream cheese and a slice of tomato per slice of bread. you can use a pinch of salt on the tomato too for seasoning if you want.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I'm also on 1200 a day, feel free to take a look at my food diary, granted I am a vegetarian and I try to eat clean.
  • piperfiske
    Options
    Nearly every morning, I have a 1/2 a Luna Bar (Lemon Zest) before my workout, and then have breakfast after - which is 1/2 cup oatmeal (plain), with a Light and Fit yogurt (60 cal) and a sliced banana on top. No need for extra sugar.

Yum yum! Plus the oatmeal cooks up great in just 1 minute in the microwave. It's quick, simple, cheap, and good.

19 lbs lost since Jan 5
  • kgrutch
    Options
    i used to hate oatmeal but have been eating it religiously for the past 4 months. i eat the steel cut oatmeal (not as processed as the instant or old fashioned). they take along time to cook (i cook it for 45-60 minutes) so i cook it in big batches now and just reheat in the microwave. i love it now with a little milk, blueberries and/or raisins. 1/2 cup of oatmeal is very filling.
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Here's a couple of great breakfasts I enjoy during the work week. They are low cal, tasty, healthy and filling!

HONEY CINNAMON ENGLISH MUFFIN

1 reduced fat english muffin, toasted (90 cal)
    Top each half with:
    2 Tbs low fat (1% milkfat) cottage cheese (40 cal)
    2 tsp honey (45 cal)
    Sprinkle of cinnamon (0 cal)
    1/2 small banana, sliced (45 cal)
    220 total calories

FRUITY COTTAGE CHEESE

3/4 Cup low fat (1%) cottage cheese (125 cal)
    Combine with:
    7 medium sliced strawberries (27 cal)
    1/2 small banana, sliced (45 cal)
    1 Tbs chopped walnuts (41 cal)
    238 total calories

FRUIT & YOGURT CRUNCH

1 Cup Fat Free Plain Yogurt (130 cal)
    Combine with:
    1 Cup strawberry halves (49 cal)
    1/2 cup bite size shredded wheat, crushed (85 cal)
    drizzle on 2 tsp honey (45 cal)
    309 total calories

Sometimes I eat oatmeal but get bored with it pretty fast. I like to add a teaspoon or so of natural peanut butter and a Tablespoon of chopped walnuts...Yummy!

Hope you enjoy the recipes...I got them from Dr. Oz's website.

Good luck!
    Jan AKA PoeRaven
    19 lbs lost since January 4th
  • sarayaha
    Options
    my favorite breakfast is a single serving of chobani greek yogurt. i cup of blueberries and a small banana. with a cup of coffee with splenda and nonfat powdered creamer. this yogurt is thick and delicious!

for lunch i pack a reusable container with 2-3 cups of salad about 4 ounces of chicken or some tuna, with carrots and mushrooms and fat free ranch! once i ran out of chicken and ate just the salad and i was starving 2 hours later. the protein is the key to staying full.

my favorite snack is a sliced apple with a tablespoon of peanut butter, or sugar free chocolate pudding cups they are only 60 calories.
  • sarayaha
    Options
    sometimes i replace the yogurt with quaker instant oatmeal. i get the healthy weight ones. they are lower in sugar and have more protein and fiber. the banana bread is my favorite. i always put a banana in it. and eat my berries or an apple.