Just because its Christmas, and we all love our children!

I met a good friend of mine at CHOC hospital... My son is a frequent flier because he needs a pacemaker, her daughter has mitochondria disease, aswell as leighs disease, and is also a frequent flier... She is back at CHOC, and her daughter (age 5) is in her final stages of the disease... Im quite positive that she will not make it out of the hospital this time... Her brain stem has become so affected by the disease that her breathing abilities are very limited, and her heart is working very hard to keep beating... I was there yesterday as my friend was giving the dr the DNR instructions. Im heartbroken, not only for the little one, but for her parents and siblings as well. With it being the Christmas season, and christmas symbolizes family and togetherness...and with living in such a dog eat dog world, where everyone is going going going, and in it for themself... I thought it would be nice to take a second, read something my friend wrote this evening, as she sits in the hospital room of her dying baby girl... and remember the simple things, and just be content with here and now, not what we want tomorrow...

"My advice to everyone is to hold & love your child as often & more then you can! You never know when life will intervene & take them from you or throw you a lemon & realize they won't be with you anymore. Appreciate the healthiness they have, appreciate the good times, the bad times, the frustrating times, ALL TIMES! Most of all let them know how much you love & appreciate them & give as many hugs... & kisses you can b/c life is so messed up at times it will rip your loved ones away from you before you knew it was coming! This Christmas the best gift you can give your children (wether they understand it or not) is the gift of your love & devotion to them. Please don't take for granted what you have b/c there are parents like us who are struggling to help keep one alive & still give our other 4 the most normal life & happy life we can!"

Merry Christmas everyone... and God Bless!

Replies

• Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    autumnkenney-005.jpg
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Well said. A heartbreaking reminder of this truth.

My heart and prayers go out to your friend, her daughter, family and friends during this time.

And for you and your family.

Peace and blessings x
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Well said. A heartbreaking reminder of this truth.

My heart and prayers go out to your friend, her daughter, family and friends during this time.

And for you and your family.

Peace and blessings x

Thanks! I just cant imagine... I look at all the frustrations I have daily with my 5 kids, and think... life could be so much worse...
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    *hugs* to you and your friend in this time.

This is a good reminder post to love the ones we have while we can.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    heres an amazing picture of my friend and her little angel... this picture says so much...

dawnandautumn.jpg
  • :,( So sad... <3 Tell her a girl named Adele wishes u luck and prays for you :(
  • mommyweighless
    mommyweighless Posts: 192 Member
    Part of me wishes I had not read this thread. It breaks my heart. At the same time I am happy I read this because it makes me appreciate my healthy little girl. This will make me cherish those little moments...good and bad. My heart goes out to her and her baby, and we are sending prayers their way. God Bless and Merry Christmas <3
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Heartfelt prayers and blessings, your friend is an amazingly strong person.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    My heart grieves with your friend. Thank her for sharing this heartbreak with us, and let her know that there are complete strangers shouldering her grief and praying for her and her family.
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    I couldn't even imagine what that family is going through. My heart aches for them.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    I think, especially at this time a year, we fail to realize whats really important. Im guilty too! We are racing to get that new talking baby doll thats on sale, standing in line for the hot new video game... going broke trying to compensate for the year that we as parents may have been just a little too busy to give an extra hug here and there, a kiss on the cheek just for no reason. or a "just because letter" slipped into thier backpack for them to find at school... I think we forget what the true meaning of Christmas is, and fail to give our children what they need most, GENIUNE LOVE! This christmas, we need to not only take the time for our kids, aside from showering them with gifts and candy, and just give them love! But also remember the ones who are suffering, and the parents who dont have thier children to wake up and open gifts on Christmas morning. The parents of the 20 children in Newtown, the parents spending Christmas on the 3rd floor at CHOC (thats the oncology floor) while thier child fights for thier life, and my friend Dawn, who may or may not still have her precious angel on this earth, come Christmas day!

I didnt mean to ruin anyones night with this post, just had to get some emotional buildup off my chest...
  • Mcgrawhaha
    my heart aches for other friends of ours, who we knew well before our son was diagnosed with his heart condition. our friends son and daughter went to elementary school with our kids, and we bacame friends with the parents. last october 2011 after a baseball game, the 10 year old boy fainted in the dug out. we thought maybe he was just dehydrated or over worked... he was taken to choc where he was diagnosed with a very aggresive brain tumor. he fought so hard for the next 10 months of his life. he missed almost all of 5th grade, and spent the majority of his time as a patient at choc. in september, he lost his battle, and passed away... he had just turned 11 years old. i know my children and i were wrecks, i couldnt imagine how his partents felt and feel... this will be their first christmas with only thier daughter... this will be thier first christmas with thier son in heaven... it has to be a terrible, heart wrenching feeling, to not be able to reach out and touch your child. my heart hurts for them, this christmas season... im so blessed, even tho i myself have a child with health problems, im so blessed to have all 5 of my children here, with me, in my arms... christmas for me is a time of reflection, and boy am i reflecting tonight...