Anyone else suffer from Binge eating?

Options
I would really like to start a group for binge eaters, It would be so awesome to have the support from people who are just like me and are emotional eaters.
It is my very downfall, I get stressed from a long day at work and I come home and eat over 1500 calories + my own calorie intake for the day. It can often be over 2000 and the foods include biscuits, cakes, bread, peanut butter, cereal, chocolate...anything I can get my hands on.

I feel like I'm slowly recovering, even though this is day 2 without binging. It would be more likely and more possible to not binge I think if I was doing this with other people.

Does anyone else want to join me and see how long we can go without binge eating? We could report back here everyday and cheer each other on!

Replies

• Prasanp
    Options
    My binges were as frequent as yours - but then for me as my water intake started increasing that sensation went down - plus now with more exercise (about 60 mins a day) is come down. I kinda eat a little extra when I feel the binge sensation coming and see a pic of my past. Helps me avoid binges most times - hope this helps.... :)
  • slimjenny21
    slimjenny21 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Lately, I've been on a very long binge just because of added stresses of birthday/work/finals/being home and whatnot. But I too, binge frequently. My go to foods are anything carb-y and anything sweet (that sometimes even includes fruits). I'd love to keep up with you though. Today's my first binge-free day!
  • silentmeowth
    silentmeowth Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I definitely have that problem :/ it's such a slippery slope. you have some junk food or sweets or something, and it's so delicious you want more. you haven't even had that much, but it feels like such a stain on your day, you feel like you've failed already. so you think, "well, as long as I'm doing SOOO bad, I might as well get it over with and finish this (insert food)." the next thing you know, you've had an entire tub of ice cream or an entire box of crackers or cookies...and you think "well, its appropriate; if I eat this much, I deserve to hurt over it (digestive pains)." -_- so lame.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Hi. I really suffer from binge eating and I really don't know what to do. I don't know what triggers them, I am not stressed or anious. Boredom maybe?

I have been struggling for a whle and finally decided to open up to someone about it. I get to the point where I actually feel a type of pain when I am craving a binge. I get panicy about the idea that the shop may shut with nothing in the house and I have to fight myself to stop myself going to buy crap. I have hopefully just ended a massive weeklong binge that has left me feeling awful, and I need to stop this.

I see Prasanp suggests a higher water intake. I drink alot of water anyway - but I will try this. Anything to help. I do excercise regularly - it is the only reason I maintain the weight I am as opposed to becoming humungous! i would however like to see my excercise work helping to shift some, instead of acting as damage limitation.
  • tnh2007
    tnh2007 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this same issue. I also find that it is when I become to restrictive or tell myself I can't have something in particular. In fact I have been experimenting the last couple months and I have really discovered a correlation when I restrict my calories too much... If I stay around 1800 (ish) depending on how hard I workout or how far I run that day; that seems like a good fit for me. When I drop down to 1500 (ish), I only sustain for a few days and then I find myself wanting to binge...
  • OkayRenee
    Options
    I would love to have a group to be accountable to. I am ruining my looks and my health with my binges. I used to look decent for my age and now I feel terrible and look old. I have about fifty lbs to lose and I haven't been able to be successful with staying motivated. In the past ten years I have been healthy and slender and fit and I like the feel of that, but my emotional binge eating is taking control. I know all the tricks of how not to binge, but I ignore the how to avoids and just grab whatever food and eat beyond full. I hate my body right now. So if this group can help all of us, then I say lets do it!!:flowerforyou:
  • jhohn96
    jhohn96 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well, and I think we should create a group! I'll get off of work late, come home to have some dinner, and then I just go crazy because I'm so hungry! And now with the holidays here, we have a ton of baked good and candies in our house. When I'm sitting around with nothing to do I tend to just stuff my face with it all. I'm tired of putting on winter weight! I'm always looking for motivation on this subject, and it looks as if I've found it! Let's start a group!
  • WeatherGirl8
    WeatherGirl8 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hiiii! I definitely do. And then I go and freak out and restrict. Binging is the worst. I do it mainly when I'm stressed/ think I'm eating too much, which just worsens the whole problem. Ugh. But I'd love to be a part of that group! Support can be so nice...
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    High carb and/or high sugar foods seem to set me off. Waiting too long to eat when I really need to also does. I have to be careful not to get too much exercise or to eat and compensate as well or I get really hungry in the evening and start risking bad choices. Not getting 8 hours sleep also makes me hungrier and more likely to crave unhealthy food. Boredom would probably do it, too, but I refuse to let myself get bored.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    the good part about it is you realize you shouldn't do it. i always that was the best way to not do it. i binge eat on purpose from thanksgiving to christmas, to try and put on muscle for the summer. after about a week of 5500+ calorie days, there isn't a food you love, that you look forward to eating by noon.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I have a huuuuuuge appetite around TOM time and one of my new years resolutions is to fill eating with something else like exercising or drinking juice or tea etc etc. Would like to join others that have the same issues :) I do often binge on healthy things but that is still calories anyway and I want to stop doing it.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    i go over with sweet stuff - chocolates, dried fruit, biscuits cakes etc.

its stress for me too :)
  • WAorangegirl
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I had this issue in my 20's, managed to somehow overcome it for many years but it has resurfaced in the past year and I've only just begun to try to figure it out. I would love to have a support group!
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Marriedin2005
    Options
    I am also an emotional binge eater. I've tried a ton of things in the past drinking more water, trying to find another activity to fill my time. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. I think it would be great to have a group to fall back on for support when I want to binge. I looked into Over Eaters Anonymous but I've got 3 kids and I don't know if I'm comfortable with that idea!
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I even have a binge time!
    If I can get thru 12:00 to 3:30 PM
    I am fine but that is when I falter
    My binge eating is cookies or cakes not actual food
    I also do the drinking water and coffee to help fight this off
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I suffer from it too- like another commenter said, once you start, it's like, why the hell not finish up whatever it is. And then, beforeyou know it, a whole box of chocolates or bag of chips is gone. I think a group would be a great idea- there's such shame that goes along with binge eating, and it's often difficult to talk about, especially with people who don't have this issue. And, this time of year is soo difficult for so many people- I've had a rough time of it, just barely keeping it at bay. Sweets are my downfall- chocolate & cookies specifically. I made the mistake earlier in the month of trying to get the stocking stuffers out of the way, except that over the course of a day I ate an entire bag of mini reeses pb cups. And then I was stupid and bought a bunch of Gertrude Hawk chocolates, with the intent of giving them to various people, my husbands favorite professor, etc… but then I ate a box of those over a two day period. I love this time of year, but I also can't wait for it to be over, so there's no more temptation around me.
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    one word: yes
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have a huuuuuuge appetite around TOM time and one of my new years resolutions is to fill eating with something else like exercising or drinking juice or tea etc etc. Would like to join others that have the same issues :) I do often binge on healthy things but that is still calories anyway and I want to stop doing it.
    Same here. I can control my BED for the most part. Good water intake, plenty of exercise and paying attention to what I am shoveling from hand to mouth helps. BUT 2 days every month, it is like the monster takes over.

I do log those binges now. Really opened my eyes to what I am doing.
  • hutchy100
    hutchy100 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Do you binge cause you are hunger or just casue you like the food i found i binge when im hungover and when i dont eat for a while il binge cause im pretty hunger