Not ready for a swimsuit

BombolinaM
BombolinaM Posts: 561 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I am going on vacation with my family the end of March for 2 weeks to Mexico. Usually, I am not this nervous, uncomfortable, and self-conscious about myself. But I've gained about 12 pounds since last year. I was doing really good losing weight last year this time. But I was laidoff the end of June and have not been watching what I eat. Infact, I am back to my "old" habits. We leave March 22nd and I would like to lose at least 10 to 15 pounds to get started. If anybody can give me some tips to get back on the weight loss journey.

Replies

• Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    IMO...
    Eat lot of veggies and exercise a lot. Everyday try to get in at least 30 mins of exercise. Don't worry so much about the scale and more about how healthy you are getting. Also try to cut back on processed food and drink lots of water. :flowerforyou:
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Hiya, maybe if it's that much weight in so little time try something like Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and make you sure you 100% stick to the healthy non-processed foods :flowerforyou:
  • burner
    burner Posts: 72 Member
    don't just do cardio... to get toned and in shape you need to do some resistance training too.

Your body only starts to burn fat after around 45-60mins of exercise. Try to do 30 mins of resistance machines and then 30 mins cardio - a lot of time and energy but results will show.

Toning muscles requires stress to the muscles - low reps high weights - if combined with a low calorie diet - you will increase lean muscle - increase metabolism on short term and long term scales.

more lean muscle = higher metabolism.

Doing excess amounts of cardio will make you lose weight - Fact. But the weight you are losing is muscle and fat. Sensible target for weight loss is 2lb a week - any more and you're probably losing muscle tissue too.

Understand you're female and you probably don't want to look like a man and have huge muscles - but since you are a woman and you will (i assume) be having a low calorie diet you won't become ridiculously muscular - but toned! :D

don't have too much rest between resistance exercises - this will increase the intensity of the work out.
    Do high weight vs low rep - to tone up fast. so you are really pushing those muscles - if you can to 10 reps comfortably - that's too high - 3-5 reps at a push is what your aiming for at 5 sets.

I've just tried to 'spew' out as much info as I can when I remember it - this is probably against all what you've thought in the past - but if you push yourself hard with little rest time (e.g. 15 secs between sets) you will sky rocket your metabolism for a few hours after the exercise too... then after your half an hour muscle work out do a 30 min low intensity cardio to burn fat - as you're body will start to be looking for the fat reserves after 45mins.

basically you're changing your body composition training this way to gain more muscle and less fat

If you need more info bout resistance routines message me - or want more info

hope this helps and is a good alternative to norm
  • BombolinaM
    BombolinaM Posts: 561 Member
    Thank you all for the tips.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    10-15 pounds in a month is an awful lot. I'd probably try to go with the toning rather than the weight loss. Daily exercise should make you feel more toned and fit. A month after I started this journey, I'd only lost 2 1/2 pounds but my clothes were looser from exercising so much. Don't go below 1200 cals a day though. Also, drink lots of water.
This discussion has been closed.