Bridesmaids dresses stink!

Options
I need to order a brides maids dress pretty soon for a friends wedding. I'm going to get measurements taken at the end of next month and the wedding is not until june.

1. should i put my weight loss goals on hold as not to loose too much to not fit the dress.
2. what is the best way to maintain my size and not have to order a new dress.

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Keep losing. It is easy to take a dress in. But NOT to let it out. Just ask this girl who ordered a size 8 wedding dress, got pregnant and had to have it let out to a size 12. I could barely breathe because I was afraid I would split the very SMALL seams. :D
  • robindina
    robindina Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I would order the size you are now..still continue your weight loss journey and have the dress taken in a few weeks before the wedding.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm in this position. We ordered the dresses for my sister's wedding a few months ago and I'm at least one size down now. Just going to get it taken in, which is easy. Don't use this as an excuse to sabotage your weight loss (if that's what you're doing). It's too important to your health
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I was a size 16 in my wedding dress...16 pounds ago, and I just had to order a bridesmaid dress in a size 20. I hate the way they size those suckers.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Keep losing. It is easy to take a dress in. But NOT to let it out. Just ask this girl who ordered a size 8 wedding dress, got pregnant and had to have it let out to a size 12. I could barely breathe because I was afraid I would split the very SMALL seams. :D

This.

Same thing happened to me.

I ordered a size 12. Found out I was pregnant, and I had to reorder a size 20 which was huge everywhere but my belly.

Never ever buy a dress too small. Taking it in is not a big deal. Plus, no one sees the size but you.
  • seraph0820
    Options
    I agree! I had to order a brides maid dress 3 weeks after I gave birth...How am I supposed to know what size I will be 5 months later. It sucked!

Go for the size you are now and have it taken in a few weeks before. Don't let one dress stop you from achieving your weight loss goals!
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I am just going to repeat what others have already said....keep working at losing weight.

My brother and SIL got married in 2012, I ordered the dress months in advance. At that time, I was just barely a few inches bigger than the size I ordered (basically, it would fit but I might be a little uncomfortable if I gained 5 pounds). They said I could really order either size and have it altered, so I ordered the smaller size. And I had to have it altered more when it came in. If you can, wait until the week before to get it altered - but also check with the one doing the alterations if they can do that and still have it in in time. (some might say they need 4-7 WEEKS to have it in on time)

It also wouldn't hurt to have a few backups in case they get busy and can't alter it for you. Happened to one of my SIL's bridesmaids.

I would not recommend order a size smaller unless you are VERY close to that size. It is so much harder to take a dress out than in. And will cost you more money.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Order one that fits you now, and keep losing, they are easy to have taken in!
    Just make sure you have an alteration appointment set up ahead of time, in this area, getting an appointment with a decent seamstress takes weeks.
  • bethycupcakes
    bethycupcakes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!... i'm the only one in the wedding that is worried about these things (everyone else is either tiny or really big and ok with it)