1100-1200 Calories a day

Options
13»

Replies

• Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options

For breakfast everything you named contained sugar which turns into fat and putting that in your system early in the morning is not good.

Changing how you eat will make a difference.

Cutting out the sugar and flour products will decrease the cravings and starvation.

Sugar does not "turn" into fat. Excess calories above what you burn in a day, do. If I burn 1900 calories in a day, but I consume 2000 calories of lettuce, I WILL PUT ON FAT.
  • zpbonjour
    Options

For breakfast everything you named contained sugar which turns into fat and putting that in your system early in the morning is not good.

Cutting out the sugar and flour products will decrease the cravings and starvation.

Sugar does not "turn" into fat. Excess calories above what you burn in a day, do. If I burn 1900 calories in a day, but I consume 2000 calories of lettuce, I WILL PUT ON FAT.

Curious, what are your thoughts on this? http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf#theory
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

The author seems not to know that protein is also insulogenic. I wouldn't take seriously anything written by someone who doesn't understand basic nutrition.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options

The author seems not to know that protein is also insulogenic. I wouldn't take seriously anything written by someone who doesn't understand basic nutrition.

In addition to her answer, I would add that I will not listen to anyone who says that calories don't matter. You are basically linking a glorified paleo article. I have first hand experience with this. I was 100% paleo for almost a year, without counting calories because supposedly if your paleo, you don't have to. And I actually PUT ON FAT in that year.

I am not saying that paleo isn't a good option for some, doing paleo for a year actually helped heal the symptoms in my sons autoimmune disease. But from a FAT LOSS perspective. Calories in vs out is the answer in my book.
  • zpbonjour
    Options
    In addition to her answer, I would add that I will not listen to anyone who says that calories don't matter. You are basically linking a glorified paleo article. I have first hand experience with this. I was 100% paleo for almost a year, without counting calories because supposedly if your paleo, you don't have to. And I actually PUT ON FAT in that year.

I am not saying that paleo isn't a good option for some, doing paleo for a year actually helped heal the symptoms in my sons autoimmune disease. But from a FAT LOSS perspective. Calories in vs out is the answer in my book.

I would agree. However, from my experience, I went from eating ~3000 calories a day and going to bed hungry, to struggling to reach 1500 in a day. I go to bed FULL, and wake up still satisfied. Light breakfast, light lunch, heavier dinner, but all low carb, high fat and some protein. The percentages being around 10C/25P/65F. Calories DO matter, but carb calories were making me miserable.
  • mschickiepoo
    mschickiepoo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Unless you have like 5% body fat you will not enter starvation mode. it is a myth that you will by eating too few calories. Too few calories does screw up our bodies in other ways - you should calculate your Military body fat percentage and BMR (fat2fitradio.com). BMR is the minimum number of calories we need to support healthy organ function. If you calculate body fat percentage first you have a better shot at getting a more accurate BMR (or you could have your doctor do a test for you). I see yoru BMR is reported at just over 1200 calories - mine is 1375 and I am 5'2", 42 years old, female, weighing 125 pounds.

Even so, you should never eat below your BMR for very long. If you do the BMR calculation at the website I suggested, it will give you the number of calories you should be eating daily (TDEE). If you use your current weight as your "goal weight" in the calculator, deduct 20% from the number it gives you so you are at a deficit. If you use your real goal weight just eat at the number provided based on your acitivy level. That is how I did it and it works very well for me.

So what do you have your goals set to for calories? And what about your macros? I'm also 42, 5'2 and currently 126 lbs. I have read so many conflicting ideas on here, I get confused also. I'm trying to eat better (trying to stay away from the junk - which keeps being dropped off on my desk.....). I am sitting most of the day from 7:15-5 pm.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    i am trying to lose fat, although i know some muscle will go, i try to maintain good protein by adding meat to my dinner (i usually try not to have it)

On a typical day i will eat

breakfast: granola/or honey nut cheerios, almond milk-200 cal
    lunch: salad or vegetarian sandwich with salad dressing-200-300 cal OR
    greek yogurt and a piece of fruit-200-300 cal
    dinner:liver, chicken, fish with a salad or tons of veggies/carb OR whatever mom cooks (rare)-350+ cal
    snack: piece of fruit, chocolate, coffee with milk, etc-200 cal

so a total day for me is like 1100-1300 give or take. i try to work out every day but sometimes i feel tired. i think i dont eat enough, but i dont want to. i think that if i stick to this long enough i will drop the pounds. i do HIIT and jogging. i alternate; dont do them in the same day.

should i start doing HIIT and jogging all in one? i jog 4mph at 45 min. i do 17 min of HIIT.

im so confused about that starvation mode BS. every thread i read is full of contradictory information. research studies i read say that your body will burn muscle, but it will also burn fat and that it will turn to ketogenesis before it turns to muscle. and that only fat people have glycogen in their muscle. since they are so sedentary and never use it. if i exercise, and eat at this rate (BMR for my goal weight is 1290) will i lose fat? or just get sick and die?
    Of course you'll drop pounds if you starve yourself. I did it for a while, increased my calories and lost weight quicker. Go figure. Your body has a tendency to know what's happening to itself and adapts. If it panics and doesn't think it's getting enough food, it'll stop giving so much energy to certain organs and tries to savor it for other things (sedentary people who don't eat very much tend to feel cold).

You're eating below what many doctors recommend, and are complaining that you are confused and tired. I recommend reading articles that have some sort of proof in them to put your mind at ease at some of the things that you are confused about. Make sure to think outside the box and that nothing is being left out (tests have a tendency to leave a side out because they're bias or to simplify things). Google scholar is a great place to start. And just let it be known that you don't need to be doing what you're doing to lose weight. I have 2 guy friends that were obese and started losing weight. One of them went to the doctor and started eating well, barely anything. He had spinal problems and needed to 'lose weight fast'. The other one started exercising. The sedentary guy lost water weight quicker, but my friend that exercised got to goal faster and stayed there. The other friend did not. This is not always the case, but it is commonly the case for a reason. And I know that everyone who tries it think they can beat the odds but its not just will power involved its chemistry and you can't really beat that.

I'm 5'7, 120 lbs. I was fairly slim to begin with but I've lost over 30 lbs, and I usually eat over 2000 calories a day (sometimes over 3500). My health did nothing but increase physically emotionally etc when I figured out that I didn't have to starve myself. Some shorties will argue that they can't do that because they're short. Those people are wrong, and I know lots of shorties that are living proof of that. It's math, people don't get excluded from math just because they feel like it. They just need to know when is appropriate to use certain equations.

Instead of asking an online forum that is full of opinions on many things, I'd do some research on both sides and make sure you look into the math and chemistry of how it works before you assume it doesn't because a bunch of people on an online forum think they're more credible then math.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and losing fat are different.
    When you lose fat youll eventually lose weight.
    When you lose weight you dont always lose fat.
    Tough pill to swallow.

Lift, walk, eat, sleep, rinse, repeat.

If you need help just simply PM the people who are posting to eat more.
    You dont see a lot of posts on the forums about "1600-2k a day! How are you doing it?!"
    Its because the people who are eating that much and working out correctly are getting great results.
    The 1100-1200 people simply havent understood MFP enough to use it correctly.

If you want to use MFP correctly make sure you set your activity goal correctly and eat back the cals you burn.
    Youll start netting about 1600+ a day and youll start losing the fat.

Its as simple as reading the instructions.
  • TwistedFun
    Options
    So should I use my TDEE or my BMR? when i reset my goals in mfp it is saying that i burn 1600 a day, when the calculator tells me i burn 1947
  • TwistedFun
    Options

Instead of asking an online forum that is full of opinions on many things, I'd do some research on both sides and make sure you look into the math and chemistry of how it works before you assume it doesn't because a bunch of people on an online forum think they're more credible then math.

so should i look into the tdee and go from there? i pretty much have the hang of bmr: i should never net below it. so i have to eat more than that and then burn off so that i net above it?

like BMR: 1420
    Daily calorie requirement: 1500
    Exercise: -250
    Net: 170 calories!
    am i calculating this correctly
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    No, don't subtract your BMR.

1500-250= Net 1250
    IMO you want to eat more, until your NET= minimum of BMR. So I would suggest a minimum of 1670 cals total with 250 exercise.
  • TwistedFun
    Options

1500-250= Net 1250
    IMO you want to eat more, until your NET= minimum of BMR. So I would suggest a minimum of 1670 cals total with 250 exercise.

we came up with the same number. here is a plan

BMR+500=1920
    1920-250=1670 (net)

if i exercise off 250. my deficit is 250 a day, and when im in better shape ill move it up to 500. How does this look? 1670 is below my TDEE. is that bad?
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    TDEE is the number of calories you use in a single day.
    BMR is the number of calories your organs need in a day. TDEE includes your BMR.

To successfully lose weight without slowing anything down, you should eat in between your BMR and your TDEE.

You are 5'4" and 130 pounds, that is small, so you cannot manage a super fast weight loss program. You need 1/2 pound fat loss a week.

So, take your TDEE and subtract 250 calories. THAT is what you should be eating every day. When you exercise, you increase your TDEE, which allows you to eat more in that day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ok, I've been confused about this since Day 1, for some reason, I'm just not getting it.

I am 5'2", 34 y/o, CW is 180, GW is 135.
    I don't know my body fat percentage.

If I input those numbers into the calculator on fat2fitradio.com, It says my BMR is 1570. It also says TDEE at sedentary is 1649.

So if I want to lose 1 lb per week, at a sendetary lifestyle, how many calories should I be eating????
    Because it seems I only lose any weight if I average around 1200 calories per day, so I don't see any way I could eat above 1500 and lose weight at all. Are these numbers just off because I don't know my bodyfat?

Someone please clearly explain this to me. Thanks!

*UPDATE* I just calculated my body fat, it is 41.9%. So if I input that into the calculator, I get BMR: 1401, TDEE at sedentary: 1649.

If I use my CW as my GW, it gives me a TDEE of 1884 to maintain. So to lose 1 lb per week, should I be eating 1384?
    I'm so confused!

You should eat at a 20% deficit and you will lose weight - but you are so close to your goal it will be slower weight loss (like .5 pound a week). I am in the same boat and I average 2 pounds each month so I only weigh once a month. When I reach my goal, I will continue to eat the same way and maintain. You should not eat below your BMR, but you could cut your calories to 1500 for for a 20% deficit (.5 pound a week)... Then, if you want more food, work out more and adjust your activity level up to lightly active for more calories.
    well 20% deficit would be 1320 calories which is exactly what MFP tells me to eat. but anytime I eat over 1300, I gain weight or lose nothing. Also, how am I close to my goal when I still have over 40 lbs to lose??!

1320 is not your TDEE, it's your deficit. Your TDEE is 1820 (if that is with 1 lb per week) and that does NOT include exercise. If you exercise and burn another 300 calories, your TDEE is 2120. So you will not be able to gain FAT unless you are eating over 2120. You can gain water weight from extra carbs as they are more prone to storing water/glycogen but it's impossible to gain fat. I Bet I can have you eat 1700-1800 calories (especially higher in protein) and within a month, it will stabilize and you will drop weight again.

Unfortunately, too many people try to up their calories for a week or less, get on a scale and freak out that "it's not working for them". The general reason they gain weight is; they added more sodium to their diet, they added more carbs or they have been on a lcd for so long their body is learning how to adapt to getting more calories in.

So lets clear up the math to make it easy. Your BMR is 1570, you are sedentary (desk job) and you burn 250 calories a day working out. Your TDEE is:

1570 * 1.2+250 = 2134

Caloric Requirement = 2134 * .8 =1707

You should eat 1700 total calories daily. I recommend 35/40/25 c/p/f. This is simple and easy. This way you are also above your BMR, lol.
  • Aries03
    Aries03 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MoreBean13
    Options

1500-250= Net 1250

we came up with the same number. here is a plan

BMR+500=1920
    1920-250=1670 (net)

if i exercise off 250. my deficit is 250 a day, and when im in better shape ill move it up to 500. How does this look? 1670 is below my TDEE. is that bad?

No that's fine. You want it below your TDEE. The sweet spot is somewhere comfortable between BMR and TDEE.
  • Ampierce
    Ampierce Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    How many pages does it take to explain TDEE and calorie deficit?
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    You want to weigh 100 pounds? That would put you Underweight according to your BMI.

tumblr_lku7t3dUfE1qce00vo1_500.png
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

*UPDATE* I just calculated my body fat, it is 41.9%. So if I input that into the calculator, I get BMR: 1401, TDEE at sedentary: 1649.

So lets clear up the math to make it easy. Your BMR is 1570, you are sedentary (desk job) and you burn 250 calories a day working out. Your TDEE is:

1570 * 1.2+250 = 2134

Caloric Requirement = 2134 * .8 =1707

You should eat 1700 total calories daily. I recommend 35/40/25 c/p/f. This is simple and easy. This way you are also above your BMR, lol.
    Actually, if you see above, when I input my body fat, it gave me a BMR of 1401, so according to your calculations:
    My TDEE is:
    1401 * 1.2+250 = 1931
    My caloric requirement = 1931 * .8 = 1544

However, I don't work out, so I'm guessing TDEE would then just be 1401 * 1.2 = 1681 and Caloric Requirement would be 1681 * .8 = 1344
    And that number is BELOW my BMR.. which means I have to burn at least 250 calories working out in order to above that number. Mathematically it just isn't possible otherwise.