Foods to stay away from/ minimize?

Options

Replies

• yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Both dairy and bread would be something to avoid/minimize.

Also:
    oils
    refined grains
    sugars
    meats (especially processed)
    salt
    food chemicals

breads are fine
    dairy is fine
    oils are fine
    Sugars are fine
    meats are fine
    salt is fine
    food chemicals, I'll give you that one.
    If you've made the decision to eat those things, fine, but don't suggest to someone else that they are perfectly ok to eat, because they are not. If you had a diet that was heavy on bread, dairy, oils, sugars, meats, and salt, you are a lot more likely to come down with one of the diseases that kills most people in this country. like heart disease.

You cannot escape the biological laws of cause and effect. If you eat that type of food, what happens to you will be the same thing that happens to everyone else who eats that food. I've known too many great people who died of heart disease to not take it seriously.

If you eat the way as you proclaim yourself to eat you're going to have the same result as everyone else. Dead. Salt as in sodium you're body needs to regulate blood, fats from oils such as olive oil and flax seed oil propels organ function and bolsters the immune system. Dairy is source for calcium for healthy bone development and prevents cramps (sometimes). Sugars are just carbs, and energy source your body uses as fuel through daily activity and replenishes glycogen stores. Breads such as wholegrain breads are also carb sources with the inclusion of fibre emanating from the 'wholegrains' for slower digestion and slower release of sugar into the blood stream. Last my favourite meat, my favourite source of protein, give me a cow i'll cut its belly open and eat it any time. To build muscle the body requires protein for muscle protein synthesis obviously. Meats such as chicken, beef, turkey, duck, pork etc. have far a higher bio-availability than vegetables. And just for good measure I recently got my blood test results back from the doc, surprisingly all results were found superior to all of his patients. Why? because I hypertrophy resistance train.
    Brawndo has what plants crave. It's got electrolytes.

I'm not a plant, what is your point with this statement?

It's a movie quote...
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

Also:
    oils
    refined grains
    sugars
    salt
    food chemicals

breads are fine
    dairy is fine
    oils are fine
    Sugars are fine
    meats are fine
    salt is fine
    If you've made the decision to eat those things, fine, but don't suggest to someone else that they are perfectly ok to eat, because they are not. If you had a diet that was heavy on bread, dairy, oils, sugars, meats, and salt, you are a lot more likely to come down with one of the diseases that kills most people in this country. like heart disease.

You cannot escape the biological laws of cause and effect. If you eat that type of food, what happens to you will be the same thing that happens to everyone else who eats that food. I've known too many great people who died of heart disease to not take it seriously.

Links to the resesarch that supports your claims?

yes please...these foods ARE fine as part of a healthy diet.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It's a movie quote...

okay ? can you enlighten me to its meaning?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Do you track your calories? If you don't, you should. Track calories and stay where you need to be based on your energy expenditure, and you do NOT need to limit any foods or food groups to maintain or lose weight.

Eta: I sometimes drink over a quart of whole milk a day on my weight loss program.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    The foods I'm trying to avoid are the ones setting off cravings and excessive hunger, the foods that, shortly after I eat them, send me roaming through town with my brain screaming, "Need cheeseburger! Need pastry and chocolate! Need ice cream and need egg nog! Need all now!"

What those foods are might be different for other people, though.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Before the thread gets hijacked,

I wouldn't avoid the foods you love, just portion them. Use a food scale. I got mine at the grocery store for less than 9 bucks, but you can get them for cheap at Target or WalMart. Read the labels on the package and stick with that amount.

Get in the habit of using the wet and dry measures every time you eat at home. After a while, even when you're in a restaurant, you can eyeball it pretty accurately.

I eat ice cream almost every day. Measured and portioned for accuracy. I eat pizza way more than I should admit, but also portioned.

Stay in calorie guidelines, keep your macros and micros reasonably portioned so you don't get hungry (eat more protein, but don't give up carbs), and it'll work itself out.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Read or watch Forks Over KNives. That will help greatly.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Processed food and stuff with artificial flavoring, colors, HFCS, and trans fats.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Any food will make you fat if you eat too many calories. Don't get sucked into thinking that you need to torture yourself by cutting out the food you love to lose weight. There are plenty of people here who have success with the simple approach of eating below their total daily energy expenditure and throwing in a little exercise.

I think you'll also notice that the people who have been working out the longest and had the most long term success follow the above approach, with a few exceptions. And just because someone does follow some extreme diet doesn't mean that the specific diet they are following is a necessary part of the equation. There are of course those people that actually do need to cut out certain foods but talk to your doctor first. You definitely shouldn't depend on the forums to provide that level of advice.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    It's a movie quote...

okay ? can you enlighten me to its meaning?

It's from 'Idiocracy' and I think he might be implying that you're a fool and you've been duped by the food industry. The poster, Rocbola, is very radical and stringent in his definition of 'healthy food'. I would just ignore him.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    The only things I avoid are foods that are not that important to me but that will make it harder to meet my goals. It's going to be different things for different people. For some it's really important to have real butter. I'm just as happy with light margarine so that's what I use because the calories are lower. Some would tell you to cut out potatoes and gravy, and usually I don't have them just because they're so calorie dense but on Thanksgiving and Christmas I enjoy them and don't feel guilty, because it's important to me to have them.

I don't believe that any food is innately bad, it's all about context.

This is the way I approach it too. I try to stay away from pasta because there's so many calories in such a small amount and I'm always still hungry after, but I will definitely be eating my mom's lasagna on christmas eve, because like this poster said, it's important to me. Most other times it's not.

If bread and dairy have become "problem foods" for you, meaning you crave them all the time and they trigger you to eat/drink way more than 1 serving at a time, maybe cut them out for a little while. I was this way with donuts, so I reduced how often I ate them (used to be 2 per DAY! crazy) and now I haven't had one for months but I knew that if I wanted one, I could get one and be fine.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options

Also:
    oils
    refined grains
    sugars
    salt
    food chemicals

Dairy can be a great addition to a healthy diet. Yogurt is full of calcium, good bacteria and can contain a decent chunk of protein. Milk is a great addition as well for the calcium.

Bread is part of a healthy diet if it is eaten in moderation.

Oils can be a healthy addition. You NEED healthy fats in your diet. Olive oils, etc are a great additition to your diet in moderation.

Sugars aren't a huge issue unless there is a medical issue that requires someone to keep their sugars at a certain amount daily.

Meats ... How are meats not part of a healthy diet? Sure these days a lot of animals are pumped full of hormones to make them grow faster but meats can be a very healthy addition. Boneless, skinless chicken breast for example.... various fish.... turkey is a great addition as well. Unless you are one of the forms of vegetarians or a vegan there is no need to stay away from meats. Fatty cuts of meat should be eaten in moderation but things like chicken breast are great to include in your diet.

Salt is required in your diet. Your body needs sodium to function. Sure, added salt isn't the greatest so that's something to have in moderdation.

I don't see why you believe the best diet is one of only fruits and veggies. I choose not to eat any form of meat but it is still a great addition to any diet for people who choose to eat it.

To the OP, you don't need to cut anything out of your diet. Losing weight should be a lifestyle change and therefore you need to learn how to make the changes you need to lose weight without making it a diet. You can lose weight eating anything you want. The key is moderation and portion size. Some people find there are certain things they can't keep in the house without binging on them... if that is you don't keep those things in the house or make sure you only keep small portions of them around.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options

Also:
    oils
    refined grains
    sugars
    salt
    food chemicals

Or you could just try eating in moderation and only cutting out the things that do not fit in your calorie/macro goals.
    That is an acceptable answer. By wanting to limit the amounts of these items, you are at least admitting to yourself that they are not healthy. The other guy said simply that they were "fine" which i don't agree with.

By limiting any of the above in a diet is not someone necessarily admitting they are not healthy to consume. You think the above are unhealthy to eat... the majority of people on this planet would disagree with you.
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options

Also:
    oils
    refined grains
    sugars
    salt
    food chemicals

3576kz.jpg
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    calories in versus calories out. Moderation is the key. Stay within your calories, and IIFYM go for it. I would have quit a long time ago if I told myself there were certain things I could never eat again.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    anything which comes in package and pre-cooked/prepared
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Also:
    oils
    refined grains
    sugars
    salt
    food chemicals

breads are fine
    dairy is fine
    oils are fine
    Sugars are fine
    meats are fine
    salt is fine

Yup. My grandmother is a great example. She put half and half on her breakfast cereal, used bacon grease to fry her eggs, butter on her white bread toast, turkey and roast beef on her white bread sandwiches, baked wonderful pies with white flour and white sugar, pan fried in oil her venison dusted in flour. She only lived to be 92 and smoked cigarettes for over 80 of those years. Pretty sure it was the grains, meat and sugar that took her from us so prematurely.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Do you track your calories? If you don't, you should. Track calories and stay where you need to be based on your energy expenditure, and you do NOT need to limit any foods or food groups to maintain or lose weight.

Eta: I sometimes drink over a quart of whole milk a day on my weight loss program.

This right here is it.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and clotted cream for me
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Also:
    oils
    refined grains
    sugars
    salt
    food chemicals

Or you could just try eating in moderation and only cutting out the things that do not fit in your calorie/macro goals.
    That is an acceptable answer. By wanting to limit the amounts of these items, you are at least admitting to yourself that they are not healthy. The other guy said simply that they were "fine" which i don't agree with.

By limiting any of the above in a diet is not someone necessarily admitting they are not healthy to consume. You think the above are unhealthy to eat... the majority of people on this planet would disagree with you.

Yeah, pretty sure I wasn't "admitting that they are not healthy" - my view of healthy is obviously much different than yours.

And I'm still waiting for the links to the research......