How many calories should I eat?

Options
Ok, from what I have figured out, here are my numbers:

TDEE: 2483
BMR: 1630
Body Fat: 37 %

How do I use these numbers to figure out exactly how many calories to eat for optimal loss? I am 5'4" and currently 183 lbs. Thanks!

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    TDEE - 500 calories = 1lb loss/week

1983 net calories a day would be optimal for you
  • fordermommy
    fordermommy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Seriously? I don't know if I can eat that many!!! I've been aiming for 1200-1300...is that too less? I want to try and lose 2 lbs a week...so how many calories should I eat for that? Thank you for replying!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would have you eat 1900-2000 calories as well. Also, you can not lose 2 lb per week as you are not obese. Realistically, you want to aim for 1 lb of fat (not weight) per week. I would also adjust macros to around 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. And have a good workout routine of heavy weight lifting (3 days a week and no more than 10 reps) and a few days of HIIT and a day of flexibility.

You may lose a bit more weight eating less, but you will also increase the chances of muscle loss too.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    You will be able to eat that much and still lose. As long as you are burning more calories than you are taking in then it works. :)

Just make sure that you are keeping up with the activity level that you've set for yourself to calculate your TDEE numbers. And if you really think about it, If you've been set at 1300 cals per day and eat back your workout calories, then you should be eating at least 1600 cals per day anyway.

This is just a different way to calculate it...
  • spramn
    spramn Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you put Moderately active to get such a high TDEE.

According to the information above, you should have a Fat mass of 67lb and Lean Body Mass of 115lb

If you aimed for 1932 Calories you will loose 0.9LB a week. Which is 20% of your TDEE

However if you want to make about a 2.0LB loss a week, probably on the higher end of the scale in terms of ambition, 1471 calories will get you there.

Now assume you put Sedentary as your activity level, to get 2.0LB loss a week, you would need only 926 calories. However this low amount of calories will mean that you will be loosing more than just fat - Muscle.
  • fordermommy
    Options
    wow you guys are incredible!!! according to what ive read my body fat percentage does make me obese but correct me if im wrong! the tdee calcultor i used was the first one to come up in google...it asked the minutes a day i do each type of activity. i set most of the day to sleeping and light activity :)
  • SweetSailor
    SweetSailor Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Seriously? I don't know if I can eat that many!!! I've been aiming for 1200-1300...

If you eat real, normal and whole food you can easily eat to your goals.
  • fordermommy
    Options
    http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator

that is the one I used :0
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    TOPIC: How many calories should I eat?
    how many would you like to eat, large amounts weight gain lower amounts weight loss.
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Was never much for numbers. I am 5 ft 3 " and my goal weight is to be within 127- 135 lbs.
    You are an inch taller, each woman is different, but I'd say go for the goal of 130- 135 lbs.
    Eat about 1500 calories a day til you reach your goal, then up a little, then a little more til you find your balance.