Score on Shiritaki noodles!

Options
Stdavis53
Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
Ok, living in the middle of Montana, it isn't exactly easy to get Shiritaki noodles. I was able to find them at 1 specialty store locally, but they were the tofu shiritaki noodles. (40 cal per bag) I wanted to get the 0 cal version, but places like amazon/walgreens were double the price for the same noodles.

I found what I believe is the best deal on them. 16 oz bags (double the size of regular) for $2.98 each.

If anyone is interested in these prices, let me know. I don't know if I can post websites on here... (don't want to advertise if its not ok)

Either way, Post your favorite recipes on here!

I am only going to do rinsing then dry frying method to prepare the noodles, so anything after that is up to you guys!

Replies

• IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    There was another thread on these very recently, i just got a packet yesterday, yay!
  • Stdavis53
    Options
    I just tried them for the first time a couple days ago and love them. I just can't find the 0 cal ones locally. Was happy I found them so cheap online!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I didn't kwow they had 0 calories. I like noodle one too.
  • Stdavis53
    Options
    I didn't kwow they had 0 calories. I like noodle one too.

There are 2 types. Those with tofu, and those without. The ones with tofu usually have about 20 calories per serving, (40 per bag)

The website I found has both types, but I figured, if I can get 0, why not!

So far my favorite recipe with them was making Vietnamese Seafood Pho. Was delicious!
  • MarcelDrapalski
    Options
    Publix carries them (at least the few Publix's in my area do). I believe they are in the tofu section in the greenwise section. Hope this helps.
  • Stdavis53
    Options
    Bump so people can post their favorite recipes using Shiritaki noodles :drinker:
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Is this something that you would incorporate with a stir fry ?
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    House Foods Brand are the best. I love them. You can do anything with them that you would use pasta for. I panic if the Health Food Store is out LOL......they now order a box just for me hehehehe
  • Stdavis53
    Options
    Is this something that you would incorporate with a stir fry ?

I have used them for stir fry and it came out great. Really takes on the flavor of anything you put in it.
  • kittenbobitten
    kittenbobitten Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I love these!I make chicken and rice soup, chicken noodle soup, mac-and-cheese, tuna noodle casserole, stir-fry and fried rice!! I thicken my soups with guar gum.

Oh another note, I have tried to make a ramen replacement but haven't quite perfected one. :( Any recipes would be greatly appreciated.
  • suzywantsitall
    suzywantsitall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Found these the other day at a local store in the gluten free and organic dept, make sure you ask, because I never would of looked there. Also LOVE these, got the tufo ones and used for two meals, so only 20 calories. I made a really good spagetti sauce, with ground turkey,low cal pasta sauce (great one at the $ store) onions,mushrooms and a few spices. It was fantastic and very filling. and only about 300 calories, and made enough for two meals. One nice thing about Shiritaki noodles, their unopened shelf live is long, so if you find them on sale you can stock up.
  • fitnwhole
    Options
    Always wanted to know what they taste like. I heard they have an initial fishy smell when you open the package. I want to try them so bad but the idea of them smelling fishy is scary (I'm allergic to fish and seafood).

FYI I just saw them for the first time in Wegmans.
  • Stdavis53
    Options
    Always wanted to know what they taste like. I heard they have an initial fishy smell when you open the package. I want to try them so bad but the idea of them smelling fishy is scary (I'm allergic to fish and seafood).

FYI I just saw them for the first time in Wegmans.

The initial fishy smell is gone after rinsing the noodles for 3-5 minutes with really hot water. They don't have any of that taste once you dry fry them after rinsing. They really take any flavor you cook them with. I've made Vietnamese Pho and Pad Thai with them, both amazing. But i've heard of people making Italian, Asian Mac and Cheese (just not macaroni)... Just about everything. Definitely recommend them! I had the 0 cal ones for the first time and they are even better than the Tofu ones!
  • 201forLIFE
    Options
    gross
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm from Wyoming... please send me the links! We have just the basics here.
  • Stdavis53
    Options
    gross

Have you ever tried them?
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,203 Member
    Options
    I can find the traditional 0 calorie version at Asian markets for about $1.00 to $1.25 a bag.
  • Stdavis53
    Options
    I can find the traditional 0 calorie version at Asian markets for about $1.00 to $1.25 a bag.

You must live in a bigger city than I can, hah. Our only Asian market has 14oz 0 cal bags for $3.98. Definitely more expensive than just ordering them offline.
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If you have a moment, I would appreciate a link to the website where you found said deal -- I have found the zero-cal version locally, but not so cheaply. Thank you!
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Stdavis53: Thank you for passing along the website! Unfortunately I have no tried and true Shirataki recipes to relay as yet, I haven't experimented with them beyond a few Italian dishes; however, I did stumble across these recipes, complete with photos (hover over the images to reveal the recipe URL): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/28/shirataki-noodle-recipes_n_1919696.html#slide=1575429