Need Help, Motivation, Support, SOMETHING!

Options
Hey all,
I started using MFP on July 19, and after 4 weeks of using it I lost 10 lbs! I was so excited!
Problem is, I haven't lost anything else since then! So for the past 5 weeks, I have been stuck. I knew I would hit a "plateau" at some point, BUT ONLY AFTER 10 LBS.????
I have been eating the same as when I first started using this site, which isn't GREAT, but it is 100% better than it was before I started! I try to workout for 30 minutes, 5 times a week - mainly using the treadmill or riding the bike.
After a few weeks of not losing pounds, I decided to take my measurements to see if I was losing there. I have lost an inch off my thighs in the past 3 weeks, THAT'S IT!
I know I know, I should just be happy that I am feeling better, being healthy, and creating a better lifestyle. BUT on the other hand, I didn't really start this to feel healthy, I started this to drop pounds and increase my self confidence.
Does anyone have any advice? Am I doing something wrong? HELP!

Replies

• apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hey all,
    I started using MFP on July 19, and after 4 weeks of using it I lost 10 lbs! I was so excited!
    Problem is, I haven't lost anything else since then! So for the past 5 weeks, I have been stuck. I knew I would hit a "plateau" at some point, BUT ONLY AFTER 10 LBS.????
    I have been eating the same as when I first started using this site, which isn't GREAT, but it is 100% better than it was before I started! I try to workout for 30 minutes, 5 times a week - mainly using the treadmill or riding the bike.
    After a few weeks of not losing pounds, I decided to take my measurements to see if I was losing there. I have lost an inch off my thighs in the past 3 weeks, THAT'S IT!
    I know I know, I should just be happy that I am feeling better, being healthy, and creating a better lifestyle. BUT on the other hand, I didn't really start this to feel healthy, I started this to drop pounds and increase my self confidence.
    Does anyone have any advice? Am I doing something wrong? HELP!
  • kimford28
    Options
    Do you eat past 8:00 at night? Also, what type of workouts are you doing? Does your body look any different? could you be putting on muscle?
  • apaden4
    Options
    No, I don't usually eat past 8 at night - there has been a few times, but we're talking like maybe 2-3 times tops. And it was something like popcorn....

Workouts are all cardio - treadmill, stationary bike, occasionally my gazelle. I was doing 15 minutes on treadmill and 15 on bike but then I thought that wasn't long enough. So I started alternating days - I do 30 minutes on treadmill one day and 30 minutes on the bike the next day. I know that's not very much, but I have 2 kids at home - I don't have time for much else.

I don't think I am gaining muscle. The only difference I have noticed is my pants are a little baggier right under my butt (back of my thighs). But not much, and not at all on my waist!

I am just getting very discouraged with my weight not moving. I don't know why 10 lbs. came off so fast, and then nothing.......
  • kimford28
    Options
    Just keep it up then. Sounds like you are doing everything right. It has taken me 6 weeks to lose 6 lbs, and I noticed that halfway into this, nothing was happening.... your body is probably restructuring itself and getting used to the fact that you are dieting. Keep drinking lots of water too. Everyone loses weight first in different areas first. Don't get discouraged that you aren't loosing it as fast as you want. You heart and body are probably thanking you right now, even though it might not show on the outside.
  • san_dalis
    Options
    hi there,

my friend who is a personal trainer has told me that you should rotate your workouts every 4 weeks. this should help you with results. believe me, i hate change, but when i reach a plateau, i switch it up and it definitely works.

good luck!
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Just remember that all that weight you are trying to lose wasn't gained in 4 week either. I know it is frustrating when you don't think you are losing it fast enough. I feel the same way but I realise that I put on that weight a little at a time over a span of years. Now we all know we don't want it to take years to get it off but I think you are doing great. If you need a place to vent, this is the place to be. There are so many people who will give you some encouragment. I think losing it slower is healthier too. Just remember your not alone in the struggle to lose weight. Karen
  • jaleeh
    Options
    I try to vary my workouts because running on the treadmill is so BORING to me. I run outside once a week, go to the gym twice a week, do my pilates body band workout (which I love), and then go to my yoga class on Wednesdays! I never thought Yoga would help as much as it has. I am typically very high-strung and when I do yoga, I feel so much better. It also really helps to elongate your muscles to give you a slimmer muscle tone. That is a problem I face...when I run and work out, I build muscle particularly in my legs and I don't want that bulk so yoga has really helped me!! Good Luck!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You can plateau after only 10 lbs, you may hit a plateau every 10 lbs. A great way to break through a plateau is to increase your exercise by 20% until you break through.

An example is if you walk on the treadmill for an hour (60mins) you would want to add 12 minutes to your workouts until the weight starts to come off.

Another thing to consider is your body gets used to the activity you are doing quite easily so if you are using a treadmill or a bike or elliptical for the majority of your cardio switch to another form of cardio so your body gets "shocked" into making some changes.

Don't get frustrated, just keep going. I started with 107 lbs to loose and I have lost 30 so far and I really do hit a plateau about every 10-12 lbs and I just have to kick it up a notch and then the weight starts to come off again. You will get there, just keep up the good work!
  • sanlin20
    sanlin20 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    mnbarnum:
    Your comment, "You can plateau after only 10 lbs, you may hit a plateau every 10 lbs" seems to agree with my personal experience. I am wondering where you get that info, and if you could point out to any reference material that supports that. Thanks.
  • apaden4
    Options
    WOW, thank you all SOOO much for your comments!

I am not frustrated that I am losing it slowly, I am frustrated that I am not losing any more at all. If I had just lost 1 pound the last 5 weeks, I would be happy! I guess I should be happy that it's staying the same and not gaining though.

I think I will take the advice of increasing my workout and/or switching things up a bit and see how that works.

Thanks so much everyone, I will let you all know if things get better!