Healthier Food Choices

Options
Good Morning All,

It's that time of the week again....grocery time! We will be going to town tomorrow to do our weekly groceries. I am trying to make a list of things to buy...new foods to try....healthier and better foods for us. Low calorie and/or high protein goodness!!! Any suggestions?

Replies

• SarahJoy_79
    SarahJoy_79 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I recently tried Greek yogurt for the first time and it's delicious! It's low fat and very high in protein. Makes a great mid morning snack.
  • doughd2
    doughd2 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Not a new food to alot of people, but I've finally got myself convinced to give hummus a try when I go grocery shopping this weekend.
  • SarahJoy_79
    Options
    Not a new food to alot of people, but I've finally got myself convinced to give hummus a try when I go grocery shopping this weekend.

Hummus is my FAVORITE! I just make my own...it's so much cheaper. I eat it with crackers, carrots or on occasion tortilla chips.

1 can chickpeas (garbonzo beans)
    2 cloves garlic minced
    lemon juice (squeeze half lemon)
    1 T. tahinni
    1 red pepper

Blend it all together with a food processor or other mixer until creamy...YUMMY!
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    I think Hummus tastes great, and I like Tribe brand. My other suggestion is to look for no-sugar added or made with splenda options for treats (like jell-o pudding snacks, Kozy Shack Rice Pudding and even fruit cups and applesauce).

Have fun! I noticed that when I'm really looking for healthier options I actually find them so you never know what you'll discover :happy:
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options

Hummus is my FAVORITE! I just make my own...it's so much cheaper. I eat it with crackers, carrots or on occasion tortilla chips.

2 cloves garlic minced
    1 T. tahinni
    1 red pepper

Blend it all together with a food processor or other mixer until creamy...YUMMY!

What is Tahinni? And where would I find that in the grocery store?
  • SarahJoy_79
    Options

2 cloves garlic minced
    1 T. tahinni
    1 red pepper

What is Tahinni? And where would I find that in the grocery store?

Tahinni is sesame seed paste. You can find it at pretty much any health food store. I'm lucky enough to have found it at my local grocery store (Meijer) in the ethnic foods isle.