Going on vacation...

Options
I am going on vacation from south Louisiana to Springfield Missouri this Sunday to see family. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on maintaing my diet. It's going to be so hard to diet whole my family plans on bbqing, eating pizza etc. It's a 10 hour drive and I plan on paking my own food for the trip up so we won't have to stop at any fast food places. I'm so scared I'm going to gain the month and a half of work back!! I gain wight soooo easily and it's hard to say no to pizza when everyone in front of you is eating it. Any tips or suggestions???

Replies

• BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Possibly eat some fruit, veggies or a salad before it is time to eat with the family, that way you won't be as hungry and possibly be able to only eat one slice of pizza or just a little BBQ. And of course make sure you are getting your water in, because most of that food will be full of Sodium. Drive safely and I hope you have a great time!
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    With regards to pizza nd easily gainnig the weight back I am in the same boat. Are you going to be involved in making/preping any of these pizzas? I found a low cal pizza recipe once. I'm at work now and don't have access to the measurements or ingredients list, but this is the main idea.

Whole Wheat pizza dough
    Tomatoes (instead of sauce)
    Light Motz cheese

I am pretty sure that is all it called for, but can't be sure (aprox 150 cals). Now with the tomatoes, slice them up and place them around the entire pizza dough, this will act as your sauce.. But that was a great way to reduce sugards and soduim from the sauce and cheese stand point. I would suggest green peppers and mushrooms to add to the pizza, or really and veggies you like. Ordering the pizza from a pizza place? Maybe they don't offer low fat cheese, but you could still ask that they make you your own small pizza with tomatoes instead of sauce that way everyone else can enjoy their high calorie pizza and you can join in enjoying your own healthier choice pizza.
  • NaomiLyn
    Options
    This is always tough! I have the same problem when I go home. But, just control your portions and you can eat the pizza and bbq. If you would normally have two slices of pizza, just have one. Then you satisfy the craving, and don't overeat. Just remember that a slice of cheese pizza is usually around 300 calories, so when you have two you take a big chunk of your daily calories. Try to eat just one slice, and make a salad with lots of fiber filled veggies. This will help fill you up. When you are eating the bbq, try to eat chicken, rather than beef, as it has much fewer calories. You can still eat the things that your family is eating, just be mindful of your portion sizes. You can do it! Good luck.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    p.s beware of thin crust pizza, as you need to eat more slices to feel as full as you would eating a regular thick crust pizza. decide in your head now how much pizza you will have 1 slice 2? and stick to it filling up on fruit veggies and salads (stay away from the thick creamy sauces and portion your pasta and potato salads -mayo!)
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Since your packing food to bring with, maybe you can pack some salads, cucumbers and tomatoes and bring some low-fat dressing with you....that way, you can have a big salad with one or two slices of pizza.

If you order pizza, make it thin crust with veggies and easy cheese, even if you just have to order your own.

BBQing....opt for chicken, salad, maybe beans, corn

Good luck!!!