should I get a scale?

Options
2»

Replies

• MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    get 2. stand on both at the same time... Disregard one of the numbers. Post your results :)

oh, and keep exercising and eating properly.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    The scale haters have come out.

The scale is the original hater, though.
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I like my inaccurate and inexpensive scale. I'm not so dumb that a little fluctuation one way or the other freaks me out. I can handle gaining 4 lbs of water weight after a bowl of pho. mmmmm phoooooooo.... What were we talking about?
  • lotusspark
    Options
    I say yes. anytime my weight got out of hand,it was when i didn't see my weight for lengthy times. i also agree w/ tape measure.
  • gafaloe
    Options
    Yes, buy a scale and hold yourself accountable.

A no-frills digital one would work fine. Something where you can step on, it tells you your weight, and you step off.

This. I couldn't do this without daily weigh ins.
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yes, get a scale. Like someone else said, a digital one. And like everyone else said, get the tape measure because both will come in handy.

My personal advice: Don't weight yourself everyday. Once a week or bi-weekly will be sufficient.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Buy a regular scale and weigh yourself once a week in the AM before you eat, Don't get in the habit of weighing yourself everyday, that leads to highs and lows. Stick with weighing yourself once a week :happy:
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Topic: should I get a scale?
    do you wont scales, if so yes if not no.
  • Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I would by a food scale. It is so easy to over estimate portions. It is a good idea to measure your food not necessarily yourself!!
  • kathyms13
    Options
    I would by a food scale. It is so easy to over estimate portions. It is a good idea to measure your food not necessarily yourself!!

or why not buy both, i dont see the big issue
  • mitsi94
    Options
    The scale haters have come out. Weigh, measure, take pictures, there is no reason not to do all 3.

If your going to use a scale I recommend a beam scale, the kind doctors offices use. Yes it will cost you a little more but it should be accurate and consistent. Even the better digital scales will fluctuate. Don't believe me, weigh yourself twice on a digital one. A properly calibrated beam scale is very accurate and at least is consistent. Yes your weight is going to fluctuate but at least this way you'll know that it's not the scale.

I weigh every day it doesn't bother me to fluctuate. If your the kind of person who is going to freak out over being up 3 lbs overnight then maybe daily weigh in's aren't for you. For me it's just another data point and the frequent weighing helps me to understand how what I eat affects my weight.

I totally agree with this. I weigh myself almost every day. I don't freak out over a few pounds up or down on a daily basis, as we all know water retention, etc can affect you. If the scale goes down to a new low weight I haven't seen before, I count it as a loss. If it goes up/down a couple pounds from day to day, I don't worry about it. If it were to go up like 5 pounds and stay there for like a week, then I would count it as a gain and do something about it.

I use the scale as a tool to learn how my body reacts to my activities, food I eat, water I drink, etc. Before I started really focusing on trying to lose weight, I never knew, much less cared, how what I ate affected my weight. Because I wasn't aware of it! Now I can see what eating out might do to me, or that thanksgiving dinner, or a night of drinking with my friends. Knowing this information has helped me make choices in what I want to eat or drink because now I know how it will affect me. I am learning how my body reacts, which is something I wasn't in tune with before, and it is very powerful information.

I know this view of the scale is probably opposite of most people's, but just wanted to share why it works for me.
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think that a scale may be very useful for helping you keep track of your pounds lost. That and a tape measure have been my best methods of staying honest with myself.
  • kathyms13
    Options
    i think its time i signed off for the night, all this fuss over a cheap set of scales.