How accurate is the BMF, really?

Options
Per F2F and other sites, my TDEE for moderately active is @ 2,000 (just under 2,100 on Scooby) but my BMF has been tracking mostly between 2,000-2,500 each day, with my normal day just about 2,200. I walk a lot, and I lift weights and swing heavy ropes (I love the ropes) and now I am trying to take a couple week break at TDEE and don't know whether to base it on the BMF or the various websites including Scooby. FTR, I lose weight slowly eating at 1,700 cals a day and maintain at 1,900. I would like to be able to maintain at a higher number so think the break might be useful, plus I haven't had one since starting my path last January.

So, go with BMF or go with a website? Is the BMF actually accurate enough to use as a base because if I really maintain at 1,900 then it seems everything is off on what my actual TDEE is.

Replies

• T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    BMR? I don't know what BMF is.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    BMF is the BodyMedia Fit which is an arm band that is supposed to track how much you actually expend in energy each day. It is based on your weight, age, etc. They say it is 95% accurate but it does appear to measure me higher most of the time. Yesterday I barely moved and it said I expended close to 1,900 calories during the day (think I walked a mere 1 mile when I normally travel 5 or more.
  • spramn
    spramn Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    They are generally accurate, however does not take into consideration a few things obviously, such as diet plateaus from extended dieting etc. Also large differences in your diet such as 1000 cal over TDEE one day and 500cal below TDEE the next will through off your calculations of expected wait loss.

From what i have read, you need to be quite dedicated to a eating plan to use these kind of devices as a main tool for altering calorie intake.

In my mind, the main problem is your body is not on a 24 hour cycle, and if you use your devices every day or multiple times a day to influence your eating, i think it can see varied results relating to fat loss. The device will be accurate mostly, however how the data is used and incorporated is the main issue, in my personal opinion.

I would advise - again just whats logical to me - to use the device to get your weekly average for your maintenance calorie requirement. Not look at the device and see that you where -500 calories yesterday according to the watch and then eat +500 the next day to make up etc.
  • rachmass1
    Options
    They are generally accurate, however does not take into consideration a few things obviously, such as diet plateaus from extended dieting etc. Also large differences in your diet such as 1000 cal over TDEE one day and 500cal below TDEE the next will through off your calculations of expected wait loss.

From what i have read, you need to be quite dedicated to a eating plan to use these kind of devices as a main tool for altering calorie intake.

In my mind, the main problem is your body is not on a 24 hour cycle, and if you use your devices every day or multiple times a day to influence your eating, i think it can see varied results relating to fat loss. The device will be accurate mostly, however how the data is used and incorporated is the main issue, in my personal opinion.

I would advise - again just whats logical to me - to use the device to get your weekly average for your maintenance calorie requirement. Not look at the device and see that you where -500 calories yesterday according to the watch and then eat +500 the next day to make up etc.

Makes sense spramn. I'll have to look at a running total of 4 weeks worth of data too (or more) to see what it averages out to and base my TDEE break on that, if it is truly a good gauge. I do want to try and be able to eat more so I don't want to underestimate what I need, and end up with some type of vicious cycle where I have to reduce further to lose. Want to eat for life, and get use to a certain level. I am typically satisfied with hunger at 2,000-2,200 per day so I'd love to be able to eat that much for life-long patterns.
  • rachmass1
    Options
    So I have both the FitBit and the BMF and I've had the BMF for two months now. My most recent 28-day reading has me averaging 2,054 calories per day whereas the first month it was 2,210. Since the first month it was learning my activity levels I am guessing the second month is more accurate at 2,054 calories per day. The FB for that same time has me at an average of 1,839 calories per day or over 200 less. Per Scooby, my TDEE is 2,097 at moderately active which I believe I am.

So, it looks like the BMF could be very accurate compared to Scooby. And since I maintain at 1,900 perhaps it is slightly less than moderately active, but more than lightly active which rates at 1,861 calories per day.

Interesting stuff. I want to burn more - guess I better swing the ropes harder!