Indian Food -- what to eat?

Options
I'm going out to dinner with friends tonight. We are going to an Indian restaurant and I've never eaten Indian food before. Any ideas on what I can order that won't blow my calories for the day?

The menu can be found here: http://www.samosafactory.net/uploads/Menu4.pdf

Are there any diet-friendly choices? Or, should I order whatever sounds good and just make sure to eat 1/2 or less (maybe 1/4??) of my plate?

Is Indian food high in sodium?

Any tips or advice would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks for reading my post. :heart:

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    It is high sodium...just drink extra water. Most everything on the menu is pretty healthy (I personally would go for the vegan items-being veg myself). Also, drink the herbal tea-no cals. Beware the rice and naan-high carbs...but you can still have some. It's all about moderation. Enjoy yourself, the food, and of course the company.
  • Mintchip
    Mintchip Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chicken Tikka is a good choice as well. It's just baked chicken breast, no sauce, but lots of yummy spices. I never tried Indian food until I lived in the UK for a few years. Now, I love it! Hope you enjoy it too.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Honestly, whenever I go to an Indian restaraunt, I try a little of everything! Minus the chicken and duck. Indian food is veggie friendly, which is awesome for me! Its easy for me not to go overboard because the food is generally spicy. So I eat slow and enjoy every single morsel. I have no idea what to tell you to get because I do not know what anything is:laugh:

Most of the places I have been to have been lunchtime buffets. I usually latch on to a stranger who is Indian and ask millions of questions. The people have always been so wonderful and eager to help me. That in itself is a reason I LOVE going to Indian restaraunts. We usually wind up moving tables and sharing the experience together. It is so fun!

Enjoy!
    Holly
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    ooh I love Indian, have a wonderful time.
    Unfortunately some of my favorite things to eat when we go Indian are the desserts :laugh:
  • burner
    burner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Indian food is lush! have a night off and tuck into some amazin curries!!! :P

if you like hot food go for a madras....(probably not very healthy tho)

hasina shashlick (think that's spelled correctly) is good too - and no sauce - think it is skewered marinaded chicken! very tasty!

a night off a once in a while is ok - so if you have done well for a while - treat yourself

have a good night whatever you go for!

:)
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    to be on the safe side, i would go with one of the vegan entrees. meat and dairy can have a lot of fat and calories, but the vegan entrees are made with coconut milk if creamy, and coconut milk is uber good for you! the chana masala, fresh baby spinach curry, veggie kofta curry or dal makhni would be great choices. and go for roti over naan! making me hungry...i love indian food!!!
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend and I were just talking about going to this indian place right by our new home...

I don't think we will worry about the calorie content, etc....since it will most likely be on our cheat day. I was wondering what are some good dishes?

I never tried lamb before and always wanted to....
  • Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Wow -- thank you for all the quick replies!

This gives me a lot to consider. :smile: