At the gym ...

Options
13»

Replies

• hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    It depends on how heavy you're lifting. It's generally inadvisable to just jump under a barbell and start trying to squat 250 lbs. My personal method is to do some warmup sets. 2 x 5 reps of just the bar, 1 x 3 @ 95 lbs, 1 x 3 @ 115 lbs, and then into my work sets (I'm still relatively light, but working it up with each session) By the time I'm done with my warm up sets I am, you guessed, it nice and warm for my work sets.

I think it's kind of detrimental to expend any energy on a treadmill when doing warm up sets to heavy lifting will more than do the job for compound lifting. Different story if you're just doing isolation exercises.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know if it matters, but I personally do weights first then cardio, because cardio makes me sweat like a wh0re in church and I don't want to funk up the machines for others :laugh:

Although really, I think that as long as you are doing, the order may not matter in the long run. Over time you will find what works best for YOU.

I'm confused.......You say you do weightlifting first.....and then cardio because if you did cardio first you would get sweaty and mess up the machines for others........but aren't you just using the machines for the cardio?

I am confused by your confusion...I do weights first, then cardio, so I don't funk up the weight stuff. No one wants to see my sweaty @ss prints on the benches, that includes me.

You said machines......not benches.......machines have no place in weightlifting.

False. Machines are just another tool to be used. Try getting a consistent bicep resistance across the full ROM with a free weight. You can't. Only a preacher bicep curl machine with a cam lobe can provide that.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I warm up for 10 min with cardio , then do lifting, then do full cardio.

I've read on here that it's not good weight room etiquette to do cardio first because it gets your sweaty cardio mess all over the machines or weights/ benches.

But..if you decide on doing cardio first you can just wipe the weights / benches off after completeing your sets.