Feeling nauseous while working out

I have had about 6 sessions with a personal trainer. I can normally get through one circuit fine but by the second circuit I start to feel nauseous and light headed. It normally passes after about 5 minutes. Does anyone else have this happen? It almost feels like an anxiety attack. I am about 40 lbs over weight and work at a desk all day so needless to say I am not very active at work. An exercise routine is pretty new to me. I don't know if this is normal or not. I don't think my trainer is used to working with someone as sluggish as I am. I don't want to be sluggish anymore, that is why I got a trainer. :tongue:

Replies

• daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    You sound like you have a deficit of something....you might be dehydrated, or you may be working out on an empty stomach. 40 lbs overweight doesn't necessarily mean anything...but if you haven't exercised in ages, regardless of weight (although the more weight the more severe the issues can be), then your heart rate may be climbing too high and that feeling you get is your body's final warning to SLOW DOWN. Make sure you are telling your trainer how you feel. If they don't listen, get another trainer because they obviously have no clue how to do their job correctly. A good trainer will watch what you do and listen when you tell them how you are feeling, and will adjust the sessions accordingly (but they will still always push you).
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    I've had this happen as well. It happened more often when I was just starting out, but still does occasionally if I've eaten too much/too soon before a workout or if I push myself too hard. What I have found is that if I eat a little something about 1-1.5 hours before the workout, it helps with that. I usually go for a fruit and a few nuts, or like 1/2 protein bar. Also, be sure you are staying really hydrated throughout the day and don't drink too much water during your workout. I try to drink a lot of water throughout the day, but as little as possible during an actual workout because I have found it makes me nauseous too. Finally, if you still feel that way, just ease up a bit. Don't necessarily stop, but do some active recovery for a couple of minutes or until the feeling passes. As your body adjusts to exercise, the feeling should become less frequent.
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    I've had this happen as well. It happened more often when I was just starting out, but still does occasionally if I've eaten too much/too soon before a workout or if I push myself too hard. What I have found is that if I eat a little something about 1-1.5 hours before the workout, it helps with that. I usually go for a fruit and a few nuts, or like 1/2 protein bar. Also, be sure you are staying really hydrated throughout the day and don't drink too much water during your workout. I try to drink a lot of water throughout the day, but as little as possible during an actual workout because I have found it makes me nauseous too. Finally, if you still feel that way, just ease up a bit. Don't necessarily stop, but do some active recovery for a couple of minutes or until the feeling passes. As your body adjusts to exercise, the feeling should become less frequent.

This exactly. I still get it when I push too hard during work outs. I just back off a little and keep going.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    If I'm too hot I get naseous. And when we workout really really hard, too. Don't be shy to take a break. No one wants you to really, you know, throw up.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member

how much are you eating.......
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Interested to see responses - I get this too but find it mostly happens when I run. It's worse when I eat so I refrain from eating for at least 3 hours prior to running & it's not b/c of drinking water either, but at about 800 meters I start feeling it. Lately I haven't run much (hip problems) & have noticed that my cardio sessions don't induce nausea so I'm inclined to believe it's just the shaking of my stomach that's doing it. However I would welcome suggestions as well. I need to get back to running!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    I have had about 6 sessions with a personal trainer. I can normally get through one circuit fine but by the second circuit I start to feel nauseous and light headed. It normally passes after about 5 minutes. Does anyone else have this happen? It almost feels like an anxiety attack. I am about 40 lbs over weight and work at a desk all day so needless to say I am not very active at work. An exercise routine is pretty new to me. I don't know if this is normal or not. I don't think my trainer is used to working with someone as sluggish as I am. I don't want to be sluggish anymore, that is why I got a trainer. :tongue:

Could be dehydration, failure to warm up sufficiently (ten mins), eating too soon before the workout, low blood sugar so not eating enough or the wrong things before your workout, not doing active recovery between circuits. Intense exercise draws the blood away from your brain and stomach and towards the working muscles, this can trigger nausea and dizziness, adrenaline contributes to this effect. Water alone does not hydrate you, a balanced diet helps your body hold that water, there is also some evidence milk is more hydrating than many other fluids.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Working out shouldn't make you feel that way... That's your body telling you to slow down. Your personal trainer should be recognizing this and take it a notch down.

I'd look for a new one.
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Lactic acid production as you get more into shape.
    When you are getting used to hard physical activity, the lactic acid will collect in your belly and make you nauseated.
    Happened to a friend of mine when she first started riding a bicycle after decades of inactivity.
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    may be your body pushing toxins out through your sweat. drink alot of water to help flush it out.
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Please mention your symptoms to your doctor, O.K.? Just get this checked out.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Pregnant.
  • If you only get it when running it might be worth trying a stationary bike for a while instead and see if that has the same impact, if it does then it hasn't got anything to do with motion.
  • Please mention your symptoms to your doctor, O.K.? Just get this checked out.

and I'd second this.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    If you're eating enough and getting enough water, then it's probably just the growing pains of getting fit. Since you're with a trainer, make sure to tell him/her when it happens; they've seen it before and (hopefully) will be able to judge if it's serious. Most likely it will go away as you build a little fitness.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    The workout MAY be too intense for you. This is why people who train too intense, get nauseous, throw up, fall on the floor, etc.
    A good trainer will recognize this and modify.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    may be your body pushing toxins out through your sweat. drink alot of water to help flush it out.

almost definitely. :laugh:
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348

how much are you eating.......

How much am I eating when? I usually get between 1500-1600 calories per day. Like I said above, 1.5-2 hours before workouts I have a snack.
  • When I first started working out, cruches made me want to vomit. They still do actually...I can just do more of them now before I feel like that. lol
  • Thank you everyone for your replies. Today I ate a banana about a half hour before the workout. Maybe I should try to eat earlier. This has happened in the past though when I ate an hour before. Also, the last time I felt sick was after the workout while I was drinking water. Someone on here mentioned being over hydrated.

I think I have been doing too much, too fast. I am not going to get discouraged I am just going to slow it down. :)