Condiments, who knew?

Options
People keep condiments in their refrigerators forever, but the truth is ketchup and mustard, once it's opened,[last] only 6-8 months, and mayonnaise only two months- Samantha Keller

Who knew? The funny thing is im such a stickler for checking expiration dates, and yet i never check condiments.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Not buying it. Mustard alone can last forever due to its ingredients (hello, vinegar). Hell, it doesn't even need to be refrigerated and can repel mold and bacteria on its own.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    *Says the people who sell you condiments.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I eat mine for way longer. Yum!
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I always toss out expired condiments. They're so cheap anyway.

condomexpiry.jpg
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    According with this list, mayo is good for up to 4 months and mustard for up to 2 years. But it also details the shelf life of other pantry foods. Good info.

http://frugalliving.about.com/od/stockpiling/a/The-Shelf-Life-Of-Pantry-Foods.htm?nl=1
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Mayo, mustard, and ketchup do not last that long in my fridge...
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    People keep condiments in their refrigerators forever, but the truth is ketchup and mustard, once it's opened,[last] only 6-8 months, and mayonnaise only two months- Samantha Keller

Who knew? The funny thing is im such a stickler for checking expiration dates, and yet i never check condiments.

bleurgh my ketchup lasts a week ...two if I'm not around
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Yeah...welll... I'm sure I was supposed to throw away that tube of mascara a few years ago too...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Not buying it. Mustard alone can last forever due to its ingredients (hello, vinegar). Hell, it doesn't even need to be refrigerated and can repel mold and bacteria on its own.

Agreed. I've eaten mustard that was more than 1.5 years past the date on the bottle. I didn't even realize they put dates on mustard until my daughter freaked out when she saw me eat it. Mayo, yeah, definitely will expire and ketchup will mold eventually, especially if not refrigerated. But I've never had hot sauce and mustard go bad.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Wow, my old mayo sure tastes good...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Mayo, mustard, and ketchup do not last that long in my fridge...

Ditto...never have to worry about expiring condiments in my fridge. I feel like they're always on the shopping list.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I'm working on a bottle of A-1 that expired in 2009. Tastes fine.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Yeah...welll... I'm sure I was supposed to throw away that tube of mascara a few years ago too...

Don't bother unless it's not working properly anymore. It's never been a problem for me, same as any other make-up. I think it's only time to throw it out if it's gone crappy, smells strange, you are bored with it.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    MMmmmm Ketchup

PikachuKetchup.gif