Christmas Gift Nightmares

Options
So here's a question.

What do you do if you get a gift and it's clothes (jeans,tshirt) and they're too big but no gift receipt is also given?

I got a little offended. the sizes were 2 sizes to big...

Replies

• clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    donate them?

i wouldnt be offended, people often dont clue in to what size people are. it was nice of them to give you a gift.

there are people out there in the world right now that have no christmas gifts. be thankful you have people that love you.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Someone takes the time to buy you clothes as a gift and you get offended if they get the size wrong? Don't be so sensitive.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    #firstworldproblems.

Donate them to someone who will appreciate them.
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    #firstworldproblems.

P. H. A. T.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    #firstworldproblems.

I don't see the need for the sarcastic hashtag... It's nor my fault if someone else gives me clothing that's physically too big (or too small) for me to wear.

RE topic, if there's no receipt, I'd donate, if there is one, I'd go and swap it for something that does fit. I wouldn't be offended though. Most people I know really suck at estimating clothing sizes. Besides, the sizes themselves are all over the place where I live...
  • pastryari
    Options
    #firstworldproblems.

P. H. A. T.

Ik4Re.gif
  • pastryari
    Options
    #firstworldproblems.

I don't see the need for the sarcastic hashtag... It's nor my fault if someone else gives me clothing that's physically too big (or too small) for me to wear.

RE topic, if there's no receipt, I'd donate, if there is one, I'd go and swap it for something that does fit.

There was no sarcasm behind that. I meant it.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Put on a bunch of weight until they fit.
  • xxcatyxx555
    Options
    #firstworldproblems.

RE topic, if there's no receipt, I'd donate, if there is one, I'd go and swap it for something that does fit.

Yeah That's what I was thinking it's just I feel bad that they got me something that I can't use. I mean money is really tight and it's like I want to use it and since the person who gave it to me is so close to my family and i go shopping with her she knows what sizes i wear
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    #firstworldproblems.

RE topic, if there's no receipt, I'd donate, if there is one, I'd go and swap it for something that does fit. I wouldn't be offended though. Most people I know really suck at estimating clothing sizes. Besides, the sizes themselves are all over the place where I live...

You think people in third wold countries log onto the internet and complain when someone gifts them clothes that are 2 sizes too big?
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    #firstworldproblems.

Okay, my bad then. Must have misunderstood. :)
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    So here's a question.

What do you do if you get a gift and it's clothes (jeans,tshirt) and they're too big but no gift receipt is also given?

Take it back to the store it came from and exchange for 2 sizes smaller.
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    #firstworldproblems.

I complained about service for my cell phone and someone wrote "first world problems"

damn.. that humbled me up. I am sure that "hashtag" is to open the original OP's mind. There are millions of people that do not get anything, one of the things we take for granted...
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    If you're in Canada and donate to Value Village, they'l give you 30% off your next purchase. That's a lot of clothes (and right after xmas, there will be a lot of new clothes on the racks)
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Can you just ask for the original receipt from the person, and just tell them the truth?
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    #firstworldproblems.

You think people in third wold countries log onto the internet and complain when someone gifts them clothes that are 2 sizes too big?

:grumble: I think your missing the point.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Why can't you tell the person who gave them to you that they are too big????? Then have the person either give you the receipt or find out which store they were purchased at. Since it is an exchange, and many stores know that you might not have a receipt this time of year, they will accept them as long as you are getting another pair of pants. It sounds like you are making this issue a lot harder than it has to be.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Can you tell from the brand, box, or anything else what store the items came from? Some stores will take items back or exchange them without a receipt.

Do you feel comfortable just asking the person who gave the gift to you where they got it and let them know you appreciate it but need to exchange the items for a smaller size? It wouldn't bother me if someone asked me that. In fact, I would prefer it, so they had clothes they could wear.
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    So here's a question.

Take them to a tailor and get them sized to fit you.

I'm a sale shopper and I have ZERO ability to have a "style". If find something on sale, a size or two too big, I take it to my local tailor and spend the $20 to get it taken in. Generally because I do this so often I pay close to $10 per piece of clothing to get it tailored, but it's worth it when I'm buying dress pants that were regularly riced $80 for $15.

ALSO, if you are being gifted clothing and it is 2 sizes too small there is NO reason to NOT ask the person to exchange them for the correct size. I mean, they bought you clothes #1 and #2 they bought them in the BIGGER size. I assume it's a family member who ought clothes, otherwise that is a bit weird.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    If it's a T-shirt that's too big, what the heck, wear it to bed as a night-shirt! :wink: