Strength Training for Runners

Options
I just read an interesting article about preventing injury and improving your running with strength training:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/strength-training-for-runners-how-to-do-it-right.html

As someone who picked up a pair or running shoes at the thrift store, went out there and just starting running for the first time in my life this summer, I'm glad now that I've read this that I haven't been injured. One person on my friends list did sustain a pretty severe knee injury from running this year, but I never thought about how common that is. The other thing I learned from this is that there are other ways to become a better runner than just running faster and farther. I'm sure most of you are like, "Yeah, duh.", but some of us on MFP are new to fitness. That's why I wanted to share this, because I know how many people are doing the "Couch to 5K" program and I imagine an injury could be a pretty big setback in anyone's weight loss and fitness goals.

Replies

• nookan
    nookan Posts: 14
    Options
    Thx :)
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I found that interesting, thanks for posting. I'm actually going to begin training for my first marathon in January (May race date) and I want to safely incorporate more strength work. I've added his book to my amazon wishlist.
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    A marathon, wow! That is really great. How long have you been running and where will your first marathon be? It's the ultimate accomplishment for runners, for sure. I'd like to imagine I could do one someday.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link, will take a look. squats are apparently very good for runners as we tend to neglect our glutes which means we over-use our hams and calves leading to tightness/injury.
    I personally have found cycling to really benefit my running.
  • jdforshort
    jdforshort Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have been brisk walking long distances for a while now. Started doing C25K just couple of days ago, so I am going to read the article. Thanks for posting it just at the right time for me, I guess!
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Interesting tx!
  • annajenine
    Options
    Thanks this is a very helpfull article. I always would hurt myself after a month or two of constant running. But this time I want to do it right and run a 10K in march.