Secrets to Successfully Losing 100+ Pounds

Options

Replies

• Ellas_Time_4_Change
    Options
    Awesome Job! :flowerforyou: Thanks for sharing your tips, would love to see photos of your transformation.
  • sandiburn
    Options
    thats great. You knowthe other day I was looking at some really old (1920's 1930's) pics with my parents and talking to them about how everyone in our family was thin. We talked and came to the conclusion tht they too walked everywhere. It is how we as humans were designed. Congrats to you!!!
  • muchmoretolove
    muchmoretolove Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    number six is exactly my approach :)
  • junkmama1
    junkmama1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post it gives me hope :) ...and congrats !
  • amsthegreat
    amsthegreat Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    There are pics on my profile, for anyone who is interested in seeing them.
  • cboutin89
    cboutin89 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    In 2009 I weighed 265 lbs and was 49% BF. I'm only 5'3," to put that weight a bit more into perspective. I have lost 102 lbs since then. I now weigh in at 163 lbs and am 32% BF. Everyone keeps telling me how great I look and asking for my secrets, so here they are.

1. I work 40+ hours at a job in which I am always on my feet.

2. I walk to and from work most days.

3. Lately I have been neglecting the gym, but I usually hit the gym 4-5 times a week. I also walk to/from the gym.

4. I walk to get groceries. Last week I decided to add up the weight of my groceries out of curiousity and found out that I had walked home (15 blocks) with 50 lbs of groceries.

5. For fun I do things that are active (require some moving around), such as walking down Candy Cane Lane to look at Christmas lights, spending the day at the museum, walks in the park or down by the lake, geocaching, etc.

6. I have to stress this last point because people ask me all the time, "Aren't you trying to lose weight? Should you really be eating that?" or "Aren't you on a diet?" The answer is yes, I am trying to lose weight, but no I am not on a diet and I don't avoid any foods that I love. I DO count calories. I eat approximately 1600 calories on an inactive day, but I eat back ALL the extra calories I burn. Yes, you read correctly. If I burn an extra 900 calories at the gym you'd better believe I will be eating all 900 of those calories back. You'll probably find me at Sobleman's Pub and Grill eating a burger and drinking a Bloody Mary or Kopps having some frozen custard. If I want something high calorie or I find myself hungry at the end of 1600 calories, I eat. I take that as a signal from my body that I didn't give it something it needed during the day. No "dieting" here.

Great for you! I agree with you though. Diets are ineffective and stupid. I believe in the word "cutting back", but yeah I understand because I work 35 hours where I am on my feet mostly. Living in a city area I am able to walk mostly anyway. Some people just don,t get it. You can lose weight if you just moderate what you eat, without giving up your favorite goods.
  • amsthegreat
    Options
    It's sad, but the truth is that too many people are far too would about what they are eating rather than how active they are. You can only fit back calories to a point. And how can you who enjoy food and live a normal life of you have to watch what you're eating for the rest of your life? Either the weight will come back or you'll be miserable because you can't goo or with your friends our you can't have foods you love.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    WOW
    Keep SMASHing!!!!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!! You are totally rockin' it!!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! So awesome! Thanks for sharing :happy:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Love this
  • Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You are so awesome! :heart:
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Great post and congratulations on doing this the right way!!!!! You are awesome!
  • amsthegreat
    Options
    I am pretty awesome, aren't I? ;)
  • threeonethree
    threeonethree Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. You look amazing. :noway:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I am pretty awesome, aren't I? ;)

You really are. And. I'm not sure how this relates, but I like it, and I like you, so:
    flashing-cupid1.gif
  • PinkyKiwii
    PinkyKiwii Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    BUMP & THANK U!

MWAH!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    YES!!! You are my new hero!!

Incredible job, you look amazing!! :happy:
  • Ajholden
    Ajholden Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing! It’s great to know someone else is doing it that way and having success. And good for you for enjoying your life and food! I’m a month away from my 1 year anniversary and have lost 65lbs with about 35 or 40 to go, but I’m in no hurry. I’m enjoying the journey and not feeling like I’m depriving myself, and for once, I have a closet full of clothes that fit and contain no elastic :-)

Wearing the Fitbit gives me 500-600 calories back on a normal 10,000 step day (I call them my “drinking calories” because I do enjoy my wine!). I have burgers about 5 times per week and pizza fairly frequently, but all under 400 calories because I make them myself and learned to cook in a way that gets me flavors I want without feeling like I’m dieting. I eat (or drink) back a lot of my calories, and I consider the ones I don’t eat back as a “buffer” and spend those during that one day a week or every-other week when I don’t count calories or when I go out to eat. At the beginning, I was losing about 1.5 lbs/week, but it’s slowed down as I’ve lost weight, probably because the lighter I get, the fewer calories I burn by walking. Now it’s about a pound every other week, even on the weeks I log everything exactly and don’t go over. But, like I said, I’m in no hurry. This is not a diet; it’s a change in perspective and way of life. Now that I know how to do it, I’m never going back to a size 3X (I’m a XL now). Question – have you ever hit a plateau in your journey? I thought I was in one when I didn't lose anything for a month, so I started zig-zagging my intake and that seemed to work.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    Fantastic loss well done
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!