Question about lip liner

Options
I've never used lip liner before, but I recently decided that I ought to. A lady at Sephora recommended a neutral shade, but when I brought it home and tried it out it completely changed the color of my lipstick. (I shaded the inside of my lip as well as just putting a line around it to try to avoid that weird outline look.) I read online that if you look for a shade that's similar to your lipstick, you should go a shade darker. I tried that, but again it changed the color of my lipstick and made it look too dark. Then I tried a lip liner that was lighter than my lipstick, which I assume you're not supposed to do if a darker one is recommended. It did change the color a bit, but not as much, and obviously it didn't make my lips too dark. That's the one I bought, but I still feel like I did it wrong. How do people use neutral lip liners or darker lip liners and not have it make their lipstick look wrong?

Replies

• SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    No idea but don't end up looking like this

sandra-bullock-chola-on-george-lopez-show.jpg
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure with the neutral ones that you are supposed to shade the entire lip. I think if you just do an outline to stop the colour bleeding it would probably be better. I usually would try to match the colour as close as possible to the lipstick but sometimes use a lighter one which doesn't seem to cause problems (although I use MAC lipstick and it's highly pigmented).
  • trekkiebeth
    Options
    No idea but don't end up looking like this

sandra-bullock-chola-on-george-lopez-show.jpg

That's exactly the weird outline look I said I was trying to avoid by filling in the lip liner, not just putting it on the edge.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    But that's a drag queen....

OP, you know the basics. Lip liner is very difficult to get right. I liked the same color or a teeny bit lighter....but I was going for a nice defined line that didn't smudge or wear off, so your mileage may vary.